Salousi Questions

bronco696

hi im new 2 cichlids,

i just got few questions regarding cichlids,

does having 3 different bloodlines of salousi mean that the fry will turn into looking as close as a wild caught salosusi f1?

and also what are german bred salousi? are they better, because thats what the breeder said..

i currently have 2 holding, and one tat was most dominate and most blue with black barring is holding..lol, ive never heard of this, i was 150% sure it was male due its near half way completion of turning into a male. ill try to post pics 2morw if i have time..

but is this a common thing that females taking on the male colouration.

I have had a male coloured female Lombardoi before so it is possible. German bred fish are generally 'better quality' fish. Better colour, better finnage however clean & appropriate water conditions are more important for a healthy good looking fish. Most of our fish are considerably inbred, mixing bloodlines or distant relations does seem to help preserve the colour and health of the fish in the long run but they will still likely be far from wild caught. With the popularity of salousi over the years the chances are that you fish could be distant relatives anyway.

Ant

hi im new 2 cichlids,

i just got few questions regarding cichlids,

does having 3 different bloodlines of salousi mean that the fry will turn into looking as close as a wild caught salosusi f1?

No it just means that there may be less inbreeding, this can be good for you as bad genetic traits are lost but can but also bad a good line bred if any traits are kept with your fish. Also wild caught fish can look worse then tank bred fish. It imo is better to have 3 bloodlines but e aware also that you may buy fish from person A and B but B's fish may have originated from A so it is not really a new bloodline. I say this only as there are few people here selling saulosi so i doubt there are many original bloodlines swimming around.

and also what are german bred salousi? are they better, because thats what the breeder said..

I have 'german' saulosi and it really was a matter of opinion. I found them nicer as they tended to look cleaner but i also prefered the yellow of my local fish as opposed to the german orange. But in terms of shape and finnage the germans where a little better but not by much. I just see them as a chance to put new blood into our stock. Also german are line bred so bad fish are culled leaving only the best also they dont have quarantine issues like we do so they breed wild caught fish. So as a drawn out conclusion they are better to have in aus. heck breed the male with one ouf our females and have new blood here :p

i currently have 2 holding, and one tat was most dominate and most blue with black barring is holding..lol, ive never heard of this, i was 150% sure it was male due its near half way completion of turning into a male. ill try to post pics 2morw if i have time..

but is this a common thing that females taking on the male colouration.

yes females can develope a slight male coloring. This is more a display of domince towards the other females in the tank. All i would say now is to seperate the females as my large male killed all his holding females. Now im restocking with german fry and his fry. And even now the females spit as they seem to get nipped at a bit.

I have had a male coloured female Lombardoi before so it is possible. German bred fish are generally 'better quality' fish. Better colour, better finnage however clean & appropriate water conditions are more important for a healthy good looking fish. Most of our fish are considerably inbred, mixing bloodlines or distant relations does seem to help preserve the colour and health of the fish in the long run but they will still likely be far from wild caught. With the popularity of salousi over the years the chances are that you fish could be distant relatives anyway.

Ant

Bit like living in Tassie!!!

thanks for the feedback, i just left both holding females in the tank, the male doesnt seem to be interested in them, he only gets aggresive during mating time.

yea also i noticed, that 1 bloodline i have is yellow, while the german bloodline are orangy..lol,

i hope my first batch turn yellow, because im not a fan of the orange salousi, but i read that orangy salousis are more hybrid salousi known as coral red..

anyways thanks guys

thanks for the feedback, i just left both holding females in the tank, the male doesnt seem to be interested in them, he only gets aggresive during mating time.

yea also i noticed, that 1 bloodline i have is yellow, while the german bloodline are orangy..lol,

i hope my first batch turn yellow, because im not a fan of the orange salousi, but i read that orangy salousis are more hybrid salousi known as coral red..

anyways thanks guys

maybe they are from a line bred varient bred for the orange. And dude did you get the german's from me:P as i need more females and want some of them if you have spare :)

Or Helensburg

LOL @ Josh :lol1: Kev will get you if you dis the 'Burgh

isn't APR a few stops past the "Burgh ;);)

Germans are into line breeding to set a specific quality in a species

to a point they can give it a trade name from what has been produced

from over there ....... have a look at some of the wholesalers lists

some times this selective breeding moves away from the original

type species and it may be the development of a more orange fish

in this case

Chris

Or Helensburg

LOL @ Josh :lol1: Kev will get you if you dis the 'Burgh

isn't APR a few stops past the "Burgh ;);)

Germans are into line breeding to set a specific quality in a species

to a point they can give it a trade name from what has been produced

from over there ....... have a look at some of the wholesalers lists

some times this selective breeding moves away from the original

type species and it may be the development of a more orange fish

in this case

Chris

I agree with Chris. Don't bother with a label of WC, F1 etc etc. Unless there is absolute proof of the claim of WC, F1, F2 etc I don't believe it and you shouldn't get sucked into it. As long as the fish is healthy, showing great color, profile etc etc, I will buy it for what it is. While some importers and their contacts overseas are trustworthy, as you would know, there are others that are not!!! Been burnt too many times with 'labels' and getting crap quality fish in return. Now, I look at the fish, and if i'm happy to pay the price for it, then it lives in my tank! :)

Like Chris said, Germans tend to line breed a lot. When the 'fire fins' first came onto the scene, we queried their origins religiously and found out that a breeder in Germany was using the normal gold comps and the 'red' kigoma variety to get a verison that is yellow bodied with red/orange fins!!! :shock::zipit:

Archived