Albino Electric Blue

Sumtingfishy

They are in Australia. Sooty had a bunch a while back which all sold (not sure who to)

They ARE NOT albinos. They are supposedly a genuine linebred electric blue, but they are certainly not true albinos. You only need to see those huge black eyes to know that.

Damn only a mother could love them!

They are the bull terrier of the fish world laugh.gif

I'd like one for my display tank too, but I also find it hard to believe them to be a true albino....

If they don't possess the albino gene, I'd like to know how they get the white body colour huh.gif

If that's line breeding from true electric blues with nothing else added to the pool, I'll be a monkeys uncle laugh.gif

I remember Jess explaining how a fish can have no pigment, but my stupid brain won't recall it.

Dan can you post up pics of yours? Those ones at the top are the only ones I've seen around.

Just been cruising through my med books just to understand genetics a little better but the way i interpretate it is that it would only take one or two freaks of nature to turn out albino.

It is then the offspring of these that posses the albino gene as a recessive gene. If you do that little box thing that we all did in biology and make the albino body the recessive gene and black eyes dominant then it is possible to end up with a white electric blue with black eyes.

Now Albinism according to Adele Pillitteri is measured on a 3point system. And a human is deemd albino when they have at least 2 of the following

* snow white hair with no flecks within,

* red or blue eyes

* both parents are dominant albino

Well thats my interpretation and why i will never work in genetics. But i styand by my first statement

U G L Y you aint got no alaby they ugly he he they ugly

cool.gif

Mine don't have all black eyes just the pupil.They aren't white out of the water just a lighter grey than a regular EB,which is interesting.As I understand it they may have been line bred from a naturally occuring variant.The male colouration is a powder blue all over not necessarily nicer than a reg EB but very pretty if your into pretty things. smile.gif Can't post a pic because I'm too lazy. tongue.gif

I thought "iceberg" was an electric blue with sertain markings?

Anyway, Memphis_Tank, just a thing on albino gene. True albino animals cannot produce melanin and whatever other else they need to produce pigment. This means that all true albinos have pink eyes (blue for some animals also, but not fish)

Anyway, Memphis_Tank, just a thing on albino gene. True albino animals cannot produce melanin and whatever other else they need to produce pigment. This means that all true albinos have pink eyes (blue for some animals also, but not fish)

Albinism usually is a recessive genetic trait causing an inability to produce tyrosinase. The result is a deficiency or absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes. Genetic colours that have the ability to lack pigmentation are blue, pink/red, and yellow believe it or not yellow.

Memphis Tank cool.gif

Hi Everyone,

Sites that I have looked at seem to be saying that the "Iceberg" fryeri is a natural variant that is found in certain parts of the lake, it has a heavy white blaze and a wider white margin on it's dorsal than the "standard" EB.

If this the case it could explain some of the variation that we see in EB's from place to place.

The fish going by the name of "White Knight" is said to be produced in Florida fish farms, it is a white fish with adult males having a blue sheen over the body with black eyes although the ones that are available in Melbourne don't have the totally black eyes like the one at the start of this thread.

They claim these fish are not hybrids just line bred variants?

These fish, the "White Knight" seem to be in a lot of the LFS in Melbourne at the moment I have seen adults of these fish and their shape seems to be fairly consistant with the standard EB.

Anyway do a search on Google for "fryeri iceberg" and "fryeri white knight" and maybe you can come to some conclusions of your own, then again maybe it may only become more confusing. blink.gif

Regards

John.

While we are on the EB thread I have a question.

My dominant EB is showing gold lines in the Tail and Dorsal fins and it looks great, the thing is all the photo's I have seen of these fish do not have the gold, is the gold normal or have I got something strange?

Thanks CATalyst

hey gang , in my belief (and its just that) is that albino's come about wen there two parents carry a "recessive gene" , which meens that , unless the offspring has recieved a recessive gene from both parents (who must be carriers) they will not show "albinism" , a "normal coloured" fish maybe a carrier , but unless mated with another carrier , no abnormal colour will be shown , it is only wen these two recessive genes meet , that we will see albinism

as far as i am aware , there is no such thing as a albino with black eyes , they are all red/pink. but as stated above , the body colour is not as definate , as i have seen albino's with both white and yellow bodies .

back to the topic , i think they aint a bad looking fish

good luck with them

Archived