frontosa

fisshy

I have 3 fronnies ...what size before they start to breed male is 15 cm females 13cm these are my first fronnies any other info about breedin behavour will help

[/quote Hi there,your male needs to be around 3 year old and females around 17 to 20 months. what variant are your frontosa? also whats your water like?

I have 3 fronnies ...what size before they start to breed male is 15 cm females 13cm these are my first fronnies any other info about breedin behavour will help

[/quote Hi there,your male needs to be around 3 year old and females around 17 to 20 months. what variant are your frontosa? also whats your water like?

ph is 8.2 temp is 27 as this is what the guy was runnin at ......they are 6 bar with a blue tinge to the fins an body i am not sure exactly which varient forgot to ask aswell i was havin trouble with his english

your water temp and ph seems fine.also where is your tank situated? fronts dont like to much human traffic and how many hours a day are you running your light?if you can get some pics up that would help.

your water temp and ph seems fine.also where is your tank situated? fronts dont like to much human traffic and how many hours a day are you running your light?if you can get some pics up that would help.

its in the lounge room with not much tank light on the lounge room light is very week 25watt so the tank always has very soft lighting but for 2 hours a night between 5 an 7 it has 55watt?? fluro coral light on. hard to read fairly old.... at the moment theres a female in his pen quite reguarly with him he is 19 cm dont know how old bought other week but not any courting :raisehand:

going by what you are saying they may still be a little to young,just give them time to work as a colony. to encourage my females to breed i feed them cooked prawns.

what else do you feed as mine are quite fussy i have tried a few things ... I dont think they have eaten for 2 weeks... tried sinking pellets ...chicken mince ..blood worm... frozen brine shrimp....an other stuff have not tried ... live fish cause disease.... or beef heart ...any other sugestions

Fisshy

don't stress mate :) they will eat when they are hungry

the problem may be that they were on a diet of live food and reject commercial pellets

I'm against feeding what I consider un-natural foods .... chicken mince & befheart fall

into this category, blood worm and brine shrimp are too small unless still in a frozen clump

for the size of fish they are

diced prawns, whitebait and marinara mix are a better option to feed with commercial pellets

being your staple when they learn to accept them :p

less mess than if using flake or small foods

I'm guessing they are Burundi 6 bars ?

and at the size mentioned should be at least capable of going through the motions

but fertility may be hit or miss

they like to have enough pipes , pots or caves for every one plus one

the males need an area out of the flow zone for breeding as they lay the milt and

the females deposits the eggs in the spawn area then pick them up

contact the guy that sold them to confirm the correct varient now we have more than

just Burundi and Kigoma available and what he was feeding them

Chris

Fisshy

don't stress mate :) they will eat when they are hungry

the problem may be that they were on a diet of live food and reject commercial pellets

I'm against feeding what I consider un-natural foods .... chicken mince & befheart fall

into this category, blood worm and brine shrimp are too small unless still in a frozen clump

for the size of fish they are

diced prawns, whitebait and marinara mix are a better option to feed with commercial pellets

being your staple when they learn to accept them :p

less mess than if using flake or small foods

I'm guessing they are Burundi 6 bars ?

and at the size mentioned should be at least capable of going through the motions

but fertility may be hit or miss

they like to have enough pipes , pots or caves for every one plus one

the males need an area out of the flow zone for breeding as they lay the milt and

the females deposits the eggs in the spawn area then pick them up

contact the guy that sold them to confirm the correct varient now we have more than

just Burundi and Kigoma available and what he was feeding them

Chris

the guy who i bought from said not sure of varient... but a young guy said burrundi when i sms a photo to him... does any one want to pm me there mobile number for me to send a photo as i am havin problems downloadin photos as for food.... thanks link to hell for info...

thanks for the listing there Linktohell... the photo turned out ok even though its taken from my mobile ...Thanks for the answers guys ...everyone has said burrundi ....has anyone got one spair thats alot closer to breedin age for sale or swap or something :raisehand:

yes a little inpatient so if i want regular breedin would they be better off in my shed with my other fish since they dont like traffic much ....my fronnies do come out of there caves but mainly the females... he stays in very rare for him to venture on out ...so are they just hidin or thats there nature... its been 3 weeks now an i still think there not eaten yet... whats black worm //earth worm or something else

yes a little inpatient so if i want regular breedin would they be better off in my shed with my other fish since they dont like traffic much ....my fronnies do come out of there caves but mainly the females... he stays in very rare for him to venture on out ...so are they just hidin or thats there nature... its been 3 weeks now an i still think there not eaten yet... whats black worm //earth worm or something else

Im yet to meet a fish that wont eat an earth worm. Blacks are probebly too small for them. If you have to go live food to coaks them back to feeding worms are the go as once they get a taste for feeder fish it is hard to ween them back off.

I have some kadangos that have been on a hunger strike for about the same amount of time. I finally got them to eat a worm today.

These fish were in a heavily stocked tank and are now a solitary pair

I believe the fish get used to schooling and once split off will sulk. I am about to add some more fish to their tank and will watch the behaviour for you and report back here. I believe they will be fine and eating tomorow as most fish like 'dithers' so to speak, it makes them feel more comfertable.

Just threw a dozen barbs in with my fish and a quick feed a minuite later and they are now eating.

Maybe try some larger malawis with them or a sacraficial school of yellows. The dithers will want to be big though or they will become dinner themselves. I think they are just sulking.

they where about 25 fronnies in his tank at the time i bought them ...other tank sprung a leek so he had them together for a while ... my only large enough fish is gold fish or an elltail catfish... will that do... can possibly get a couple of crimson tides off my uncle to put with them

they where about 25 fronnies in his tank at the time i bought them ...other tank sprung a leek so he had them together for a while ... my only large enough fish is gold fish or an elltail catfish... will that do... can possibly get a couple of crimson tides off my uncle to put with them

I brought a large fronnie today, over 15cm for $85, settling in real well, small ones around 3cm were 39 and 5cm were 76 at 2 shops in Brisbane, In Toowoomba they dont stay in the shops longer than a day so have missed out. Went to a aquarium shop in wavell, very good and brought 2 large clown loach around 12cm long as well. Fish this size in Toowoomba are display fish for shops and not for sale.

AZZA

15cm fronnie sounds a good buy for $85....i am not to keen on clowns had a couple gave them away i got cordorias not for any reason other than liked them a bit more. as for buying large fish in shops its the same down here, hard to buy large fish aswell... if ya can its pricy i seen an 8cm angel fish for $ 45 the other day

That would explain the hideing and the need for some dithers. Put the crimsons in there if that is all u have. it doesnt really matter what the dithers are as long as there are other fish in the tank with them.

When i breed small ciclids like Rams i always use dithers in the tank or i will never see the rams or fry. it really doesnt matter how big or small the fish is u want to breed.

big fish require big dithers, small fish require small dithers.

I belive all fish breed better with dithers in relation to their size, breed better, and are more productive then those left to them selves.

so far 1 out 2 things aint bad // i added 1 convict an 1 crimson tide about 3pm todat an now at 8 pm i havew noticed that my fronnies are venturing out //// now all they need to do is eat something

My large From i have noticed does not eat very much, got some frozen cichlid meal, and he had a peck at one today, slightly slimmed down my fish as i had some breed about 3 months ago and gave away 6 4cm bubs. My tank is a aqua one 980 or 215 ltr. I have over 20 fish and on some advice may from here (anyone) may have to slim down some more, i have the large from, i put him at 17cm, 2 large clown loach 15cm, 1 brsistlenose about 7cm, 10cm long electric blue, 2 orange zebra's, others i cant think of the name of and the fish family of what i call zebras of 14 including parents, almost 30 fish. Any thoughts on too much for this tank?

AZZA

so far 1 out 2 things aint bad // i added 1 convict an 1 crimson tide about 3pm todat an now at 8 pm i havew noticed that my fronnies are venturing out //// now all they need to do is eat something

My large From i have noticed does not eat very much, got some frozen cichlid meal, and he had a peck at one today, slightly slimmed down my fish as i had some breed about 3 months ago and gave away 6 4cm bubs. My tank is a aqua one 980 or 215 ltr. I have over 20 fish and on some advice may from here (anyone) may have to slim down some more, i have the large from, i put him at 17cm, 2 large clown loach 15cm, 1 brsistlenose about 7cm, 10cm long electric blue, 2 orange zebra's, others i cant think of the name of and the fish family of what i call zebras of 14 including parents, almost 30 fish. Any thoughts on too much for this tank?

AZZA

WAAAAYYYYYY too many if there that big prolly 6-7 tops they would be very unhappy fish ecspecially the front..

Archived