so my friend told me to start getting into cichlids because their probably

the best fresh water fish to keep

now i need ideas cause i hear they get aggressive amongst each other D:

so far i want 4-6 , 6 bar frontosa barundi's

and i need more cichlid tips ideas anything

like when to put them together

ph levels regarding all fish

water changes on a 1000L tank

(yes im still new at fish keeping 3months in and loving it )

All ideas would be helpful Thank you :D

im also looking at a display tank

and hoping to get texas holey rocks

-jazz

Mate you really need to read :cryblow: about the fish your hoping to mix.

I guess the Clown's are not small? 14 clown's together would be really nice in any tank. Remember to had food that gets to the bottom of your tank for both them and peps. P-mint fry size ?

Putting Front's ( again you don't say size) in with pep fry is a sure way for your fry to disappear. What can fit in a fronts mouth will go there in time.

You need something thats going to go with what you have.E-yellows, Lab's,shellies, etc would look nice.

You need to pick what you like and then read up about the fish before you buy. :thumb Google is a great tool.

Ph etc is different for a lot of fish.

Your peps don't like the same water as fronts.

Good Luck.

Mate you really need to read :cryblow: about the fish your hoping to mix.

I guess the Clown's are not small? 14 clown's together would be really nice in any tank. Remember to had food that gets to the bottom of your tank for both them and peps. P-mint fry size ?

Putting Front's ( again you don't say size) in with pep fry is a sure way for your fry to disappear. What can fit in a fronts mouth will go there in time.

You need something thats going to go with what you have.E-yellows, Lab's,shellies, etc would look nice.

You need to pick what you like and then read up about the fish before you buy. :thumb Google is a great tool.

Ph etc is different for a lot of fish.

Your peps don't like the same water as fronts.

Good Luck.

I haven't gotten the fish yet

I wanted to put the clowns with cichlids as I hear they go good together as for the peppermints I already set up a seperate tank for them the clowns at the moment are still small just over 2 inches

when I get my 6 ft I'm going to move the clowns and get some frontosa frys and some e.yellows I just want more ideas for cichlid frys so I can get them while their young to grow them up together

so right now I don't have anyhong just clowns and peppers in my 3ft

After researching so far I'm liking e.blues yellows mainganos and demonsoni's and also frontosa's

thx for the heads up though learning slowly :)

Others may say otherwise, but I don't recommend mixing the clowns with Malawi/Tang cichlids. They require different water parameters for a start.

I love clowns. I have 15 or so myself ranging fr 9-20cm in my 8ft tank. Sharing with SA cichlids such as Geophagus. Have you considered SA cichlids that share similar requirements?

Others may say otherwise, but I don't recommend mixing the clowns with Malawi/Tang cichlids. They require different water parameters for a start.

I love clowns. I have 15 or so myself ranging fr 9-20cm in my 8ft tank. Sharing with SA cichlids such as Geophagus. Have you considered SA cichlids that share similar requirements?

Yea thats what i was thinking aswell when i was having a chat with my mates

but my friend has had expieriences with those cichlids and clowns before with no problems

but i did a little researched and found that the cichlids i want have a much higher ph rating which bummed me out

he also sed he has read around where people have kept them with clowns with no problems

D:

im so confused lols now that im messing with cichlids its making it so much more interesting

my friend also sed not to use ph boosters but instead use dead corals and coral sand etc

Yeah i agree 2 totally different water parameters for the front and the clowns. Ive have been breeding frontosa for a while and find they work best as a colony by them self.you dont want to add fish in that are high traffic fronts are very calm and gentle..

I know plenty of people who keep clowns with Cichlids. It isnt really that big a deal. Dont stress to much about different water condition. Buffer your water they way your mate "sed" and it will be OK.

I have clown's in with my Geo's, gets them out and about more. Adds colour & keeps the missus happy as she likes them. E/Yellows in there as well as some black tetras!!!

Yea thats what i was thinking aswell when i was having a chat with my mates

but my friend has had expieriences with those cichlids and clowns before with no problems

but i did a little researched and found that the cichlids i want have a much higher ph rating which bummed me out

he also sed he has read around where people have kept them with clowns with no problems

D:

im so confused lols now that im messing with cichlids its making it so much more interesting

my friend also sed not to use ph boosters but instead use dead corals and coral sand etc

You're still not sure what you want to get. So many nice cichlids out there to choose, you want to keep them all. I know how it feels. Nothing wrong with that. That keeps this hobby alive.

My advice is make a short list of the cichlids you want, study them well and see if they're compatible. In my book, I won't even mix frontosa with E.yellows for example.

As I said, other people will say otherwise. I know many people have no problem mixing clowns with Malawis/Tangs. I had them with frontosas. Here's a good read:

Why Loaches Should Not Be Kept With Malawi Cichlids

My biggest clown is at least 8yo and I hope that I still can keep them for the next 15 years or more.

Okay i will read more about water hardness and hopefully get frontosa's soon well after reading more about it

i've read that frontosas are gentle from mates experience but a lot of people say its aggressive D:

dont know what to believe

btw the tank im getting is a 6x2.5x2.5 FT ( 180cmx80x80 )

alot of ground space which i was actually aiming for, for my loaches :D

for now i love the

demasonis

maingano

Electric blues and yellows

Frontosa

and still reading on about cichlids and areas they come from

Wanted to add 1 Gold spot gibbicep :O

slowly learning can talk on about all this information for hours :D

I've been told that you can acclimatise Clown loach's that have been in soft or medium water into hard water. So, the Clown's can be kept with Rift lake fish. However, if you later want to acclimatise the Clown loaches from hard to soft water then this is where the Clown's suffer and may die.

Maybe someone else has experience with this?

Anyway, just thought it might be worth mentioning in case you decide to put the Clown's in hard water with the consideration that you might want to later re-acclimatise them to soft water, i.e. most people you'd sell these fish to (and if you breed them and want to sell the fry) will more than likey want to keep them in soft or neutral water.

Cheers

Glenn

Bah been working and training alot lately need some time to read about soft/medium/hard water levels unless some one can explain it in about 2 sentences that would be great. :D I sound lazy huh lols

I don't think I would ever get rid of my loaches love them to much already planning to get a few more :D

and I've been looking at a few Malawi cichlids

just wondering making a species tank would it be hard ? Cause my mate told me if I was to do that I would have to get them all ad frys and grow them all up together.

yes and alaskan malamutes should only be kept in alaska.

i have clowns with cichlids. they dont get picked on, they look very colourful and healthy, they eat fine and they are very active around the tank. a fantastic addition. my lfs has cichlids with clowns, some of the great people ive met after starting this hobby mix clowns with cichlids. some have success others do not. to suggest there should be a blanket rule that applies to all circumstances is just a nonsense. seriously, i think sometimes people overcomplicate this stuff just for the sake of it.

Agree :thumbup:

if you climatize the fish slowly they will adapt to your water parameter.

Use air hose to the bucket where you put your fish in. Normally, i only has water that cover the fish body in the bucket and slowly get water to the bucket until its third quart full. Wait for 15-20 minutes until you catch the fish and put it in the tank.

You can put some air in the bucket just in case your fish is sensitive to oxygen.

My clown loaches lives in harmonize with red kadango, peps, gibbs, texas, syno euruptus and severums in 5x2x2 tank :hug:

All the best for the set up

haha So i got the Clowns and cichlids being together down

water hardness shouldnt be too bad would it ?

alot of confusion happening there

ph levels shouldnt be too much of a deal for me and now

just for ideas :)

would this be good for a 6x2.5x2.5 (1000L tank)

im hoping to get 4-6 6 bar frontosas

20 clowns all up ( yes i love them )

2 E.yellow

2 E.Blues

2 demasonis

2 maingano

hmm now just more fish to find and like before setting it up

That mix is fine, I have 4 clowns in with my burundi and malawi with zero problems. My water is ph 7.6 out of the tap and I only add a bit of salt during water changes.

I have 2 clowns in with a pair of Gold Saums, 2 severums and a keyhole and some opaline gouramis and 4 bristlenose. No problems in the tank.

My favourite fish (that I have) is a Cynotilapia Afra Cobue. A randy fella who races around the tank like a teenager in a subu at Brighton. Julidachromis would add a different shape to what you have. Maybe a display peacock or red empress of some kind.

The clowns are good clean up crew but have you thought about a catfish such as the Synodontis Multipunctatus, Petricola etc. I have a pair of Bristlenoses keeping the glass clean.

Have fun with your choices.

haha So i got the Clowns and cichlids being together down

water hardness shouldnt be too bad would it ?

alot of confusion happening there

ph levels shouldnt be too much of a deal for me and now

just for ideas :)

would this be good for a 6x2.5x2.5 (1000L tank)

im hoping to get 4-6 6 bar frontosas

20 clowns all up ( yes i love them )

2 E.yellow

2 E.Blues

2 demasonis

2 maingano

hmm now just more fish to find and like before setting it up

That mix is fine, I have 4 clowns in with my burundi and malawi with zero problems. My water is ph 7.6 out of the tap and I only add a bit of salt during water changes.

thank you exactly what I needed to hear I'm planning on 4~6 bar frontosa barundi, clown loach and Malawi cichlid tank :D

Archived