Green terror juneniles growing out in a 215L tank

curviceps

Hi everyone

I have 7 Green Terror juveniles growing out in a 55 gallon tank. They are approx 4cm long at the moment. I plan to pick out a single male from the group.

How long do you think I have before I will have problems with aggression and need to decide which one to keep?

Cheers

Provided you have enough places for them to hide... you could probably keep them there until you're satisfied. The aggression from the dominant (hopefully male) one will be shared around - at this time, you'll should be able to work out which is your dominant male.

Having said that, it's tough these days until you see obviously signs of a bump or long fin extension. I've seen females that look pretty nice and act very 'male'.

One of my GTs was purchased around 4cm, I was confident it was female but now at 8cm - I'm thinking male judging by the behaviour and colour changes.

sexing is pretty eassy

males develop the reticulated marking in the unpaired fins

and females don't ............ have a look at some pics it with

show in the dorsal, anal and caudal fins

Males also have a more metallic body

they will sort themselves out when old enough, this can be at

just over 5 cm size .......... watch for the female to turn very

very dark after pairing as this and site cleaning point to spawning

Chris

They dont get any hump untill large,Would be a deformed head at only 4cm, sorry. You can sex them way before then as Chris say's. Should not be a problem in a tank that size.

a 4cm GT with a hump certainly aint unusual. Have seen the get massive humps at tiny sizes. Have bred heaps of them and the young lads wth the biggest humps usually turned into the best males.

It looks great mate nice and fat. Cool little fish no deformities there mate. Bit hard to tell sex atm as i have seen females with littl humps too.

nice fish as said by benno

what i meant was you cant tell by the hump being a male as both sexes get them as said. but lg humps are male and thats some growing to go.

My guess would be male.

Fins, colour,hump, size.

can the humps go away for any reason, I have a pair and now that they are in my main tank the male's hump has reduced and the female chases him, maybe he has started batting for the other side. Oh they are about 6cm, I have noticed that they are slightly different colours too.

Batty - Perhaps his hump hasn't shrunk, but he's just grown in to it a bit better? I've never seen a fish that has lost a hump, but it's just fatty tissue - not bone or cartilage - so presumably it's not impossible?

curviceps - That's a cracking little fish. Personally, I'm partial to the white form but yours looks good for a young fish.

Batty - Perhaps his hump hasn't shrunk, but he's just grown in to it a bit better? I've never seen a fish that has lost a hump, but it's just fatty tissue - not bone or cartilage - so presumably it's not impossible?

you are right there, definitely not impossible - in fact possible... i saw a couple of GTs brought in to the LFS and within days they lost their humps, why? who knows, new environment/stress more likely.... and by the way, that little tucker is a boy, here in Melbourne LFS you can pretty much sex these rugrats at 4-5cm, their colours, especially their flanks are just so vivid.

The male seems to have paired up with a girl. They are doing the jig and cleaning the rocks.

The pair of green terrors are chasing the other green terrors, but leaving the other tank mates alone (which include 4 spotted silver dollars and 3 clown loaches).

So far, no injuries.

Given that the rest of the fish are still quite small and the tank is relatively big with driftwood and other hiding places, do you think I need to separate the other green terror juvies asap, or will I be able to leave them together for now?

Cheers

Tim

Archived