I FOUND WHITE SPOTS ON MY FISH

M.H

i just noticed one of my fish has white spots he is the latest fish i bought(Champsochromis spilorhynchus) and put in my tank about 2 weeks ago no other fish has it my question is what do i do and how to cure and with what

i just noticed one of my fish has white spots he is the latest fish i bought(Champsochromis spilorhynchus) and put in my tank about 2 weeks ago no other fish has it my question is what do i do and how to cure and with what

hi i would say that you should first isolate it from the others

the main thing you need to do is raise the temp in your tank to 30deg's then add salt with that aloan should be fine to stop the spread plus ease the scratching (itch) the fish experiences

you must increase the oxigen aswell as vacuming the substrate

you could do this to your hole tank if you do not have a medic tank

in adition to that there are medications that you can buy to treat this problem aswell

i notice 1 of my fish always gets it im guessing its bad genetics (i would not buy fish off that breeder again!) lucky its brothers and sisters are no longer in my possion just this one

i say it comes on by stress in most fish and weak or bad blood lines like interbred !

im sure its just stress from the move treat well it should not come back :)

Bad blood lines cause white spot? Never heard that before. Thats like saying people that get the common cold have bad genetics.

Our community tank had a brief spell of whitepsot. On advice from the LFS we got Ichonex and dosed as the bottle says. No extra salt and no heating up. White spot went in a week. ICH is contagious so I would assume the whole tank is affected and not spread or stress any further with QT. I have read that ICH can be present on a fish without issue. When they get stressed the ICH can get ahead. A transfer would do that.

Anyhow take advice from LFS and double check what I have said.

Bad blood lines cause white spot? Never heard that before. Thats like saying people that get the common cold have bad genetics.

look i understand that it is not all cases for iv had an out brake of ich in the hole tank including all the fish but to be honest Josh this one fish lives with it

prohaps you are right and im dumb for saying it but unless its under constant stress?

but i put it to bad breeding/ammunity!

but im sure though that your right,

If it has white spot you have to dose the whole tank as the others will carry it as well.

No use moving it or taking it out unless its being picked on.

Multi cure as said.

Did you keep the fish warm and straight home or did the temp dorp a lot as said?

i bought some stuff yesterday and added it to the water lets see hows it goes thanks everyone i noticed the white spots this morning on my big pleco

M.H.,

Sorry about yesterday, my phone cut out as I was at a place where I get no reception. Will try to give you a call today.

Foti,

Who told you that about "bad breeding" (as you put it)? Anyway, it's not true. All fish can suffer from whitespot and it has nothing to do with the genetic history of the fish.

The White Spot organism exists in all aquarium environments. Stress can and does cause fish to become susceptible to it. It is an easily treatable disease and whilst you can isolate the one fish to medicate, you should also treat the main tank, as several fish could have the beginnings of it.

Temperature fluctuations are a major stress factor. Does your aqaurium temp remain stable?

Treatment should include raising the temp to 26-7C (30C is too high for Malawi Cichlids), removing carbon from the filter (if you are using any) and a good quality whitespot medication. I recommend the Waterlife brand. You should see the problem go very quickly.

Just to recap, it is definitely nothing to do with genetics. My C. spilorhynchus are directly related to M.H.'s fish and they do not have whitespot. Stress is the one and only factor it can be down to, so look at what is causing the stress.

Can youpost a pic of the main display tank mate? It may help in diagnosing the source of the stress.

Andrew.

Looks fine to me mate - not overcrowded (which was what I was looking for when asking for the pic). What temp have you been running it at?

As this thread suggests white spot s caused by many things. The main reason is stress due to a number of possible reasons. Majority if not all treatments aimed at treating it work providing you follow the instructions on the bottle. Things to look out for are to make sure you have removed any carbon from the tank. Water changes will be needed after treatment (or use carbon to remove meds). Keep an eye on water conditions closely for a week or two after. Repeat the treatment if you have any sign of the disease returning. Try to find the cause of any stress and minimise it.

I wouldn't isolate it as other fish may need treatment

I don't believe it is caused through bad breeding. However I do believe some fish are genetically more resistant than others. You also have the issue of fish that have built immunity to certain medications due to it's use by wholesalers. Therefore when they get treated they seem to be 'cured' for a day or two then the white spots reoccur due to the medication not working rather than 'poor' genetics. You simply need to try another medication in this case with other active ingredients.

Just my belief system regarding Ich, I may not be 100% correct about everything but it worked for me.

Anthony

thank you Andrew for clearing that up

just to recap on the reson i said it about "my fish" not his is that in my 6foot tank that is stocked with 9 fish at the moment was that 1 fish i have acei has always got white spot salt flak on it even before my purchase of the last 5 fish time of auction the othe 4 fish were alone for a good 7 months more then enough room plus hiding places no reson for it to be stressed

it doesn't scratch just has white salt coloured dots no more than 2 or 3 at any given time ? prohaps its not white spot il get a pic of it and post it you will also say that it is !

so once again i know every fish is susceptible to the itch like i said i have had an out break in my tank brfore (it had started by the introduction of about 15 fish they must of been stressed by the move?)

even tho i know this "i still believe that one of my fish has issues that are not the norm" reson for what i said earlyer,

but with this aside i stand corrected there is no way a fish can be weaker (bad immune system) through bad genetics!lol

Foti, that does not sound like white spot at all.It covers the fish in tiny spots not just a couple like your saying & spreads to other fish fast if not treated.Your's just seems to be a skin/scale mark?, nothing to worry about.

Good info above how and why.Andrew is right, nothing to do with genetics,bad breeding etc

Also raise temp as said to get rid of it faster.

:thumb

Our community tank had a brief spell of whitepsot. On advice from the LFS we got Ichonex and dosed as the bottle says. No extra salt and no heating up. White spot went in a week. ICH is contagious so I would assume the whole tank is affected and not spread or stress any further with QT. I have read that ICH can be present on a fish without issue. When they get stressed the ICH can get ahead. A transfer would do that.

Anyhow take advice from LFS and double check what I have said.

totally agree with you cpfc and have found Ichenex an excellent cure for white spot

it is also catfish friendly and an product from Aquasonic (Aust company)

there are many products out there that work

READ the instructions and follow them

always run 2 courses of medication

treat the entire tank

do not use wet hands , nets or anything else that are used in the infected tank in any other tank

unless you want to spread the disease

that includes dripping water into a lower tank if in a rack system

increase in temp is Ok but 28* would be my upper limit for Malawi and increase aeration

the only time you can kill the pathogen is in it's freeswimming stage, why a temp increase is

often recommended and 2 treatment courses run

Ich pathogen is always there and requires a trigger to over power the immune system of the fish

it may be temp (G, steindachneri will get Ich if the tank is in a draft) or just as simple as moving

them into new tank

early treatment is the best thing

Chris

do not use wet hands , nets or anything else that are used in the infected tank in any other tank

unless you want to spread the disease

Yes definately, i used to use netsan for this purpose to rinse any equipment that is used from tank to tank. Even if there is no infection in any tank.

Anthony

im using Aquamaster Tri-Sulfa Tablets it doesnt seem to be working just wondering has anyone used it before

Broad spectrum sulfonamide that controls white spot (ichthyophthirius multifiliis), mouth and body fungus (columnaris spp), fin and tail rot and other external bacterial diseases in fresh water and saltwater aquarium fish.

Directions for Use: Remove activated carbon from filtration system and slow the flow rate of sub-gravel filtration for the duration of the treatment. Prolonged treatments may affect the helpful bacteria flora in the biological filter.

Dose Rate: Predissolve tablets in a disposable cup before addition to the aquarium water.

Usage Guide: To calculate tank capacity: length X width X water height (in cm) and divide by 1000 for litres.

Use 1 tablet per 40 litres of aquarium water. In cases of severe infestation, use at the rate of one tablet per 20 litres of aquarium water. Repeat treatment in 3 days, if necessary.

Active ingredients: sulfadiazine - 153.5mg, sulfadimidine - 154.7mg, sulfamerazine as the monosodium salts - 154.1mg

100 Tablets

today was the second time ive put it in im doing 1 tablet for every 40L

It should work but if it doesn't, remove the medication with carbon and try something else. Just keep an eye on water conditions because the biological filtration will surely be under pressure.

Archived