LFS Prices

Ant

I have noticed a major rise in prices. I have been looking around at some LFS and prices have damn near doubled. I am also seeing a lot of dull coloured fish. I saw 3cm BN for $13 each. I was looking at some Tropheops because I have always liked them, but $40 each!! Melanochromus Joanjohnsonae $16 for 3 cm fish!! Not only that they were mixed in with another similar fish. Am I just thinking this because I have been out of the loop or am I right?

Ant

Was just reading duckstas post and I have noticed a major rise in prices too. I have been looking around at some LFS and prices have damn near doubled. I am also seeing a lot of dull coloured fish. I saw 3cm BN for $13 each. I was looking at some Tropheops because I have always liked them, but $40 each!! Melanochromus Joanjohnsonae $16 for 3 cm fish!! Not only that they were mixed in with another similar fish. Am I just thinking this because I have been out of the loop or am I right?

Ant

Well lets take a look.

Insurance costs have gone up = greater risks

Interest rates cost has gone up = Higher rents/ repayments

Elecricity costs have gone= higher running costs

Minimum wage has gone up = higher payroll+Super+work cover

Aussie dollar has dropped= higher costs for importers

Tolls have gone up = higher freight costs

Business owners have the pleasure of working longer for less money after they put everything they own on the line.

If you want the fish pay for it.

If not, don't.

But bare in mind what small business is going through.

Just my $4.2 worth CPI adjusted

what citypainter has just said is spot on..

was talking to an owner of a lfs not too long ago and he said keep what fish you can.. because prices are about to sky rocket..

so expect a big $ difference come christmas.

Well lets take a look.

Business owners have the pleasure of working longer for less money after they put everything they own on the line.

If not, don't.

Sorry mate, it wasn't my intent to attack business owners. Simply making an observation after not being to an LFS for a few years. My surprise is also the mixing of similar species and amount of ill coloured fish. Still concerning despite the pressure of economy.

Ant

Also I talked to my LFS and he said fish are getting to expensive because of running costs alot of people are getting out of the market or aren't interested in power bills of running a fish tank.

lucky i breed ornamental goldfish and koi too hey?

Well lets take a look.

If not, don't.

Sorry mate, it wasn't my intent to attack business owners. Simply making an observation after not being to an LFS for a few years. My surprise is also the mixing of similar species and amount of ill coloured fish. Still concerning despite the pressure of economy.

Ant

Hi Ant

No offence tanken at all.

If you ask me I think that with times being so tough it's doubly important to house and label clearly and provide great customer service.

Thats the biggest assets in a shop.

Knowledge and service

Very true. Shops have to earn the right to charge. As a newbie I see excellent prices in the classifieds however I use fish shops as I often have not got a clue as to what I am up to. I also have the backup if things go wrong such as violent or mis sexed fish. It is easy for me as I have two good shops down the road.

I have also read about Guppys who are very cheap but you are screwed if you want a return.

If you ask me I think that with times being so tough it's doubly important to house and label clearly and provide great customer service.

Thats the biggest assets in a shop.

Knowledge and service

defiently a few shops around the brisbane area are having a hard time atm, i think owners are trying to get the price down aswell as wholesalers but you may find as internet sales increase on dry goods so will the price of live stock in LFS to even it out, but the one thing i have found with fish prices is that they do change with the fasion, you might bn price is high atm because ppl are still going nuts over all the plecos going aound.

classic example of price changing is the peacock bass going around a few years ago, got down to $8 each, now the only ones you can buy a 20cm plus and not the cheapest fish, lets hope they can get down to 8 dollers each some time soon :)

everything that has been brought up i would say sounds right but i believe that everyone is getting to used to these breeders prices then once in a store they get a shock

i have never seen a bn less than $10ea but at 4cm+

people who want fish will not worry about the cost of running 1 tank but yes breeders will be hit hard

I have seen some really poor prices by shop owners such as electric yellows at $40 5cm which to be honest fish like this should not be inflated firstly because of the relative ease to get these fish and that some fish a begginer or entry level fish which should be the cheapest for anyone to buy. This will lead to return in sales and customers getting the bug and having the confidence of spending a bit more for a different or unusual species

Saying that I have seen some of the rarer stuff going at bargain prices, I saw pep adults 10-14cm for $110 each which is the same you would get online for males and females. Some L's i have seen for $80 at around 8cm and some of the new or rarer cichlids at good prices such around the $30-40 each at 5cm.

John

I have seen some really poor prices by shop owners such as electric yellows at $40 5cm which to be honest

fish like this should not be inflated firstly because of the relative ease to get these fish and that some fish a

begginer or entry level fish which should be the cheapest for anyone to buy. This will lead to return in sales

and customers getting the bug and having the confidence of spending a bit more for a different or unusual

species

Saying that I have seen some of the rarer stuff going at bargain prices, I saw pep adults 10-14cm for $110

each which is the same you would get online for males and females. Some L's i have seen for $80 at around

8cm and some of the new or rarer cichlids at good prices such around the $30-40 each at 5cm.

John

IMO yellows should not be an "entry level" fish as you claim as they are actually quite prone to wasting.

Most cichlids are fairly easy to keep but its the demand (aside from food, electricity etc) which makes the price what

is. I'm not saying that yellows should be $40 but those cichlids you claim as "rarer" are probably just as easy

to keep but not in demand or as easily sellable ...

Cheers,

John

Possibly controversial:

A lot of us sell fry we've bred to each other. If the hobbyists are buying all their rare fish without having to go to a shop, a large part of the shop's business is taken away from them. Believe it or not, this does have an impact.

I've been guilty of this too, but I now channel my fry through shops, as I get the same price I would privately. Plus, I have the added bonus of not having the house visited by all and sundry. I will still sell surplus colonies and adult fish through the forums and things, but the fry now go to the shops...

Andrew.

Whether we like it or not the LFS needs us and we need them. For someone new to the hobby the LFS is the first port of call. IMO the industry needs a responsible code of practise for looking after fish and advising customers.

Possibly controversial:

A lot of us sell fry we've bred to each other. If the hobbyists are buying all their rare fish without having to go to a shop, a large part of the shop's business is taken away from them. Believe it or not, this does have an impact.

I've been guilty of this too, but I now channel my fry through shops, as I get the same price I would privately. Plus, I have the added bonus of not having the house visited by all and sundry. I will still sell surplus colonies and adult fish through the forums and things, but the fry now go to the shops...

Andrew.

True we do need the LFS's but some are a bit over the top as said.

Keeping fish of same species in same tank tells you the shop really dint know what they are doing.

Not having a go at LS but how often do you get really bad advice from an untrained staff member?

Then again some are really great. Suppose your money really counts when you dint buy.

But yes I've noticed a jump in fish prices and some really marked up fish as said above. But we all go looking for a bargain and just pass those by.You only have to think of the power cost increase and what that would do to increase the cost without the other things Dave says.They have to make a $$ or they are shut and we have seen a few shops shut lately!!!

costs are up for everyone for everything. not just LFS's and breeders. i have little sympathy for lfs's. they are there to make a good profit like everyone else so absolutely good luck to them. but its not like they're an island; everyone is going thru it so i dont feel any particualr sympathy for them over and above everyone elses increased cost of living.

Us breeders should be getting paid what we are asking for... e.g. if the shop doesn't want to pay the price I've asked, they won't get the fish. Having said that, though, I set very fair asking prices.

The key difference is that we are hobbyists, and if costs go up for us, we lose a bit of money, but really not a lot, considering many of us are selling enough fish to probably more than cover our running costs. If a shop's costs go up too much, though, they lose their livelihoods and everything they've worked for.

All that being said, I don't like shops that are rip-off merchants. I have seen some *&%^$ prices around and there is no way the shop is putting an honest and fair markup on the stock. I especially don't deal with these shops, as what I get is not adequately proportionate to the margin made by the retailer...e.g. 500% in some shops' cases.

Running costs have gone up for breeders too. Are they getting paid more.

Breeders have no where near the same level of overheads to that of a LFS.

I think breeding fish is a great way of sustaining fish species in the hobby! what it has done, and not the better, has driven prices down so much that the LFS and the wholesaler for that matter cant compete. You can take this as a good or bad thing.

Everyone wants fry at the cheapest possible price these days; maybe as breeders we need to start accounting for time and money spent on keeping the fish and truly reflect the cost of the fish we on-sell to other people? then the prices might be similar to that of the LFS? so instead $1 a cm for yellows, it would probably be more like $3-4 a cm.

Not trying to be Antagonistic or pro LFS, just adding my 2c to this really good discussion :clap

Yea sorry duck man i didn't think it would go much further either. I know this wasn't your intention.

Archived