Moving House

fullychichlid

Well we have just bought a new house and are moving suburbs. I have a 5x2x2 tank with one Saratoga. I have asked the guys that sold me the tank if they could help me move it and they said they would help for a fee. Thats ok as I want it moved without damage. Now as for the fish, dont know what to do there, and people said to save some of the water to re add to the tank so the fish could go straight in. The tank has a sump full of great bacteria.

I dont have any drums to transport water so any advice or help would be appreaciated. Moving from Padstow to Horning Sea Park ( near Prestons).

Thanks Guys

Well we have just bought a new house and are moving suburbs. I have a 5x2x2 tank with one Saratoga. I have asked the guys that sold me the tank if they could help me move it and they said they would help for a fee. Thats ok as I want it moved without damage. Now as for the fish, dont know what to do there, and people said to save some of the water to re add to the tank so the fish could go straight in. The tank has a sump full of great bacteria.

I dont have any drums to transport water so any advice or help would be appreaciated. Moving from Padstow to Horning Sea Park ( near Prestons).

Thanks Guys

maybe a large esky,container or styrofoam box

From your photo's on here this is a 600mm saratoga I think?.Get a lg plastic container from golo.You can buy 200lt drum to save some of your water for $15. Styro box's from pet shop will do as well. Save enough water to get the tank started & add over the next week.2/4 strong mates and its easy.What Maswa say's wont work with a fish like this.You need to get him in the tank within hour's.You can buy a cheap battery airpump as well.

From your photo's on here this is a 600mm saratoga I think?.Get a lg plastic container from golo.You can buy 200lt drum to save some of your water for $15. Styro box's from pet shop will do as well. Save enough water to get the tank started & add over the next week.2/4 strong mates and its easy.What Maswa say's wont work with a fish like this.You need to get him in the tank within hour's.You can buy a cheap battery airpump as well.

well said

also if you hire a water pump 'big pump' you can leave the 2 or three drums in the truck or ute "1 tone ute"

because there is no way you can pick up 200liters

buy an extra 2 drums the ones with lids which you can fill up but leave at your old house so you can save water which you can pump and transfer to your new house once tank is in place! il buy the 2 extra ones off you i would need them sooner or later! let me know :thumb

as for the fish i would say a big tub for the travel period would be fine

400liters in your ytank is more than enought then another 400liters its close to full

pm me

Foti

well said

also if you hire a water pump 'big pump' you can leave the 2 or three drums in the truck or ute "1 tone ute"

because there is no way you can pick up 200liters

buy an extra 2 drums the ones with lids which you can fill up but leave at your old house so you can save water which you can pump and transfer to your new house once tank is in place! il buy the 2 extra ones off you i would need them sooner or later! let me know :thumb

as for the fish i would say a big tub for the travel period would be fine

400liters in your ytank is more than enought then another 400liters its close to full

pm me

Foti

well if your gonna do a burnout like your utube vids i dont think he can survive :lol1:

I am wee wEEing myself with the burnout vid comment. That was my mate, well at least Toga will get there quick. In all seriousness, thanks for the advice guys. will let you know how it goes.

I managed to transfer fish 500km in my car (hatchback) by buying an inverter to run air pumps and power filters. I kept all external canisters half full of water. I didn't have a large toga but i did have a devil, plecos and 18 foai. The foai, plecos and water used in transport went straight into a 4 ft tank with filters on and never spiked. The devil was small enough to stay temporarily in a large plastic container with aged filters running. They were 5 hours in transport.

Can you use an air pump with an inverter to keep the the sump water and filter media circulating and aerated?

Could you set up a smaller aquarium as temporary solution at the other end?

Could you fit the toga in a plastic container that would fit in your car?

It is a bit stressful for you and the fish but with good planing it is relatively easy.

Ant

When filling the tank in the new location, provided the filtration can work, you don't need to fill the tank to the top before introducing the fish. Get the tank stable with existing water and filters running before putting in fish, transport as much existing water as you can, and say if you can half fill the tank only, you can put the fish in and run it like this till things have settled a bit more before filling the tank to the top.

You don't need to stress about transporting the water. Very little benefit in that apart from keeping water paremeters the same at each end as little bacteria would be in the water column. Just ensure that the media in the sump is kept wet and oxygenated, and preferably the gravel too though it is no where near as important as the sump media.

Go buy a cheap plastic container and either put a black garbage bag in as a liner (If you can find unscented bags) or put the tub in the bag. This is to stop most the light getting in the bag so the saratoga is more likely not to thrash around. If you can buy a battery airpump to get the oxygen levels stable.

Once the tank is moved, fill it up. Add the water ager, get the temperature and pH levels the same as the tank was at the old place and acclimatise the saratoga to it. Then throw him in. The sump should contain enough bacteria still to process ammonia and nitrite, there may be a small cycle again but this shouldn't harm the saratoga.

. . . Or alternatively can the shop you got the tank from mind the Saratoga for a week or two while you get everything sorted out? You might have to pay a small fee but you won't have the rush things then.

Dont need to hire a pump. If you have an internal filter just put a hose off it.In and out of tank.

I would not be using all new water with a fish that size. I would surely take as much water from tank as you can the add mor like a water change over couple of days.Your tank may be only half full of water but only for a week at most.

Are you sure the burnout boys should help you. Fast But !!!! lol

I would not be using all new water with a fish that size. I would surely take as much water from tank as you can the add mor like a water change over couple of days.Your tank may be only half full of water but only for a week at most

:thumb that's my point, keep as much water as is practical so there is less difference with the water in the tank in the new location. It will not mean squat to the bacteria side of things, just an extra step to prevent or reduce stress through changes in water parameters.

Archived