Just sharing my joy

Andrew

Hey all,

My pair of Keyhole Cichlids (Cleithracara marroni) laid googs last Thursday night... They're now wrigglers (YAY!) and the parents, which are total first-timers, are so far excellent folks!

These (in my opinion) are so under-appreciated. They're one of the nicest cichlids I have ever seen when fully mature, and they live peacefully in practically any situation.

Can't wait 'til the bubs are free-swimming... There's a microworm and baby brine feast awaiting them.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Congrats Andrew,

They are a great little fish. Used to keep them years ago and absolutely loved them. I have a mate who keeps them and they are his pride and joy. Very inoffensive and remarkable parents.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards Tony

congrats, they are beautiful fish one of my favorites, i have kept them for years and rate them highly.

cheers

pete.

Well done.

Now every one here with a planted tank has no excuse not to keep Cichlids as well.

:hug:

Thanks all! Still going well, so I'm pretty chuffed about it.

Yes, Cafa, I see what you mean about remarkable parents! I have had this pair since long before they were of breeding size, so I can be 100% certain that this is their first time. In my experience, I have come to expect a couple of false starts with American substrate spawners - but not so with these Keyholes!

Will take some shortly...

Gee these guys develop quickly - from wrigglers yesterday to many free-swimming today!

Update:

The babies are 6-7mm in length already. They are avid feeders and the parents are still being very protective. Currently, bubs number well over 100!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Well done, yeah gotta love the keyholes, I have one in my community tank, it must be about 4 years old by now. I had 4 and he's the only one left, he was the youngest by about 18 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've finally gotten it together enough to post a pic. Sorry about the obscurity - the tank's not in an ideal spot and driftwood stain and algae don't help!

The fry are 15mm now and the parents are still looking after them very well. I'm deliberately leaving the fry with mum and dad so they can take on the parenting instinct.

Keyhole pair and fry

After such a long hiatus, who am I to say no? Anything to keep you from disappearing again...lol

I expect they'll be movable soon enough...

Used to be heaps of these peacefull fish around but dont see many these days, well done :clap good to see them breeding and keeping the fish going.Your photo does not do them justice !!!!.

Archived