What type of fish is this?

scotty81

I agree - it looks very much like Cynotilapia afra, however, I am not sure that it's the Cobue variant. There are many.

One way to be sure if it is C. afra is to look at the dentition. If the teeth are evenly spaced and conical, then afra is all it could be. As to the variant, that will incur a bit of googling on your part...lol

Doesn't matter whether it's male or female at this stage unless you have looked at the teeth as advised. Have you?

If your intention was breeding this fish (I'm not saying you were) I advise against it. My reason for this is it is a poor example of what a male afra should look like.

Doesn't matter whether it's male or female at this stage unless you have looked at the teeth as advised. Have you?

If your intention was breeding this fish (I'm not saying you were) I advise against it. My reason for this is it is a poor example of what a male afra should look like.

I'm at work so cant check it at the moment. I'm asking because I was told it was a Cobalt blue Zebra, which it does look like. And yes if it is a Afra cobwe, it is a poor example and not what I was after. Was bought online though!

I don't know that it's a poor example... It's not in breeding dress, and for a fish not showing off to anyone, he could end up being a fine example down the track.

Of course, he should not be bred from unless species and locale can be determined. Species should be easy enough (i.e. dentition), but if you bought him without a locality name, it can be tremendously difficult to pinpoint.

Of course, the person who asked the gender of it is another person in another state...lol

I don't know that it's a poor example... It's not in breeding dress, and for a fish not showing off to anyone, he could end up being a fine example down the track.

Of course, he should not be bred from unless species and locale can be determined. Species should be easy enough (i.e. dentition), but if you bought him without a locality name, it can be tremendously difficult to pinpoint.

Of course, the person who asked the gender of it is another person in another state...lol

Fish was bought from livefish, along with A blue peacock which has lost all it's colour and A Red jewel which has a very slight tinge of red. The other tank inhabitants are 4 electric yellows 3 which look fine 1 which looks very average and an Electric blue which looks great. These fish are fed with blood worm and Tetramin cichlid pallets and mini pallets. Tank is 160l with a top filter. Am I doing something wrong?? Should I have an airstone or something in the tank?? Water conditions all read good!! Just wish these fish would show there colour.

An airstone won't make any difference if the water is adequately aerated.

The "afra" won't colour up unless he has someone similar or the same to show off to, but he would also become aggressive towards that fish.

How big is the peacock that lost its colour? It may sadly have been fed colour enhancing food to make it look saleable (a tactic used by many lfs). If it is truly a male and not just fed with hormone to make it look like that, then it will colour up naturally over time.

Jewels are usually pink-reddish normally. The deepest red is in breeding dress.

Lots of other species out there that are peaceful and instant colour!

Its a Afra, But not showing good colour. Is it getting picked on? I dont see any bad fins etc so looks fine. But how big is it.

Agree with what Andrew has said.

Ph of you water?

I have spare male A cobwe in with other fish and they show a lot of colour!!! no females.

The peacock is 6 or 7cm, and the afra would be about 5cm, the peacock and the red jewel get picked on a bit, the afra is usualy the instigator. PH of my water is between 8 and 8.1.

Do cichlids need alot of aeration??? Would I benefit from a second filter?? The rocks I have in the tank are from a limestone quarry, should I have smoothed them off first??? If so would useing a file be a bad idea??

Do I need alot of rocks in there for these fish?? I have probably 8 to 10 hidey holes for them and all types seem to hide. Should I be testing water hardness?? If so what should it be?? Should the fish I have in my tank get along well?? How can you reduce agression??

I know there is alot of questions, but I am new!!!

The fish is not a Cobalt Zeb and if that is what it was sold as I would be asking for my money back

by the barring going into the dorsal if shows traits of C. afra, what moph ............ :dntknw:

but it's no Cobwe and it appears to be showing the colour it will be

you don't mention size or species of the Jewel. these will be a browny orange as a juvenile and only

intensify to red when breeding if it is a H. lifalili (forest jewel) H. bimaculatum don't get that intense

the peacock could have lost colour because it's being harrassed by one of the other fish I'm guessing

the Afra

so .................. what species did you order and what size is the Jewel

some more pics will help

Chris

The fish is not a Cobalt Zeb and if that is what it was sold as I would be asking for my money back

by the barring going into the dorsal if shows traits of C. afra, what moph ............ :dntknw:

but it's no Cobwe and it appears to be showing the colour it will be

you don't mention size or species of the Jewel. these will be a browny orange as a juvenile and only

intensify to red when breeding if it is a H. lifalili (forest jewel) H. bimaculatum don't get that intense

the peacock could have lost colour because it's being harrassed by one of the other fish I'm guessing

the Afra

so .................. what species did you order and what size is the Jewel

some more pics will help

Chris

Read my previous post it has parameters and fish sizeing. Red forest Jewel is about 5cm

Scotty

your profile shows as Perth, have you been on the Perth forums

PCS link

PCS hold meetings first Tueday of each month

very helpful local forum for your area supported by LFS that

carry good stock

I see that pH is around 8.0 I assume the hardness is Ok, have

you tested for this

I really feel the Peacock has lost colour due to the Afra being the

alpha fish and best way to reduce this in Mbuna is to have high

stock levels so one fish doesn't stand out as a target

I have looked at the mentioned online site and will reserve opinion

once again what were the species suppose to be that were bought

Chris

Scotty

your profile shows as Perth, have you been on the Perth forums

PCS link

PCS hold meetings first Tueday of each month

very helpful local forum for your area supported by LFS that

carry good stock

I see that pH is around 8.0 I assume the hardness is Ok, have

you tested for this

I really feel the Peacock has lost colour due to the Afra being the

alpha fish and best way to reduce this in Mbuna is to have high

stock levels so one fish doesn't stand out as a target

I have looked at the mentioned online site and will reserve opinion

once again what were the species suppose to be that were bought

Chris

It was meant to be an Afwe cobwe.

My tank is 160L. Triangle shape with a top filter. The inhabitants are as follows.

1 x Electric Blue 10cm

4 x Electric Yellow 6-8cm

1 x Red forrest Jewel 5cm

1 x Cyntolapia Afra ?? 5cm

1 x Blue Peacock 6cm

2 x Bristlenose 5cm

Do I need more stock... any sugestions in any way about how to improve my setup or what to do to sought agression and get colour back etc... would be apreciated.

The fish arn't all that active except the Afwe and red jewel.

I have not tested water hardness

My apologies, I didn't see it was someone else who asked about it's sex.

Livefish like most wholesalers are known for colourfeeding there fish hence why your fish probably lost their colour. They also tend to be quite expensive. I'd suggest checking out the Perth Forum if you want some quality fish at much better prices.

I have a peacock and an Afra recently bought from an LFS. The Afra shows a lot more colour than your shot and the Peacock has not lost any colour. The guy at the LFS warned me of some of the feeding practises that enhance colour in Cichlids. In the first week the Afra was just with the Peacocks and no females.

I do not buy online because I like to see the fish beforehand and the guy at the LFS gives me the info and help someone like myself needs. I would like to get to a cichlid society meeting but I do not have the time.

Not sure about the rocks u have?

From a limestone Quarry?

If they are smooth like you say I dont think they would be any good in your tank as they may have a lot of lime in them, bad for your fish, and as your fish arent showing any good bright colours something's wrong.

You have 8 fish & B-nose & its only 160 lt so you cant put many more in the tank with the shape as well not helping.All your fish will grow as well needing more space.

Are they all male apart from the E-Yellows?.

From a limestone Quarry?

If they are smooth like you say I dont think they would be any good in your tank as they may have a lot of lime in them, bad for your fish, and as your fish arent showing any good bright colours something's wrong.

You have 8 fish & B-nose & its only 160 lt so you cant put many more in the tank with the shape as well not helping.All your fish will grow as well needing more space.

The rest of them are meant to be all male, the C. Afwe looks like it is, the electric blue is, not sure about the peacock and the Red Jewel. What would be a good alternative for rocks, and where do you all source them. I'm guessing I should have alot of rocks with these types of fish. Would wood be ok?? What could I do to reduce the agression??

I thought limestone was fine for a high pH tank or am I missing something?

I am mainly going from what I have read on articles like this one http://www.sydneycichlid.com/aquarium-rocks.htm so interested to hear about real world experiences.

From a limestone Quarry?

Hi Scotty

If you used the white rocks that you can find all over Perth then theyll be fine...people over here pay amazing prices for rocks you find on the side of the road (I lived in Perth until recently, ALL my rocks wre picked up from the side of the road...came over here stupidly thinking I would find them here...I did, but only at the LFS for $5000 a kg)

Id keep away from wood...the tanic acid will leach out on soften /lower your ph

Mike

From a limestone Quarry?

The rest of them are meant to be all male, the C. Afwe looks like it is, the electric blue is, not sure about the peacock and the Red Jewel. What would be a good alternative for rocks, and where do you all source them. I'm guessing I should have alot of rocks with these types of fish. Would wood be ok?? What could I do to reduce the agression??

Archived