Nice electric blue

the electric yellows look "dirty" pic of single male looks Ok but "dirty" face

dirty = showing dark marks and ordinary quality

peacock looks like a female and if they are selling colour enhanced fish

feeding white crane or aqua one food this would explain why without

these foods it has lost all colour

jewel is single fish and won't give much more than it already shows

unless paired, sex :dntknw: maybe male

the Afra well its not Cobwe but appears to be an Afra as has been posted earlier

if they came from the online seller mentioned I would not be happy with the fish

looking at the prices they list ....... knowledge = $$$ and this lesson seems to have

been well and truely paid for

sorry but that's how I see it

Chris

Agree with Chris

Very nice E- Blue, great colour,top fish. :clap

Afra not a cobwe, some male afra with not much colour!

Peacock female

E-Y not best colour but not to bad as I've send heaps of white in bottom of fish.

All your fish dont look like they are picking on each other as fins/ body fine.

One only of a jewel is not good for your tank. I would move him/her on.

I maybe wrong with the rocks as you are Perth and they do have white rocks over there, but from a limestone quarry???? Is your tank water a little milkly/ not clear.? would tell you the rocks are no good.

Not easy to say without photo.

Hope helps.

Thanks for the replies. Water is very clear, and rocks are definately limestone. I have removed a few rocks from the tank now, I'll see if I can post a picture. Some of the fish chase each other, but dont realy bite. I am looking to offload the peacock, and 1 of the yellows. Would it be a good idea to get a second red jewel, if so how can I be sure of the sex??

The electric blue is the only cichlid not bought from from online fish shop. So definately lesson learnt

Scotty81,

Very good of you to come to the forums with your Qs. We have a terrific bunch of knowledgable enthusiasts here. For my 2c, I want to say that it really bothers me when wc-fed fish are sold and then revert to their female colour - when these things happen to beginners, it has the potential to kill the interest before it gets into full-swing.

You may find an unidentifiable female peacock very difficult to offload. Without a species name and locale, she would be most undesirable. Unfortunately, "Blue Peacock" refers to many species of Aulonocara sold in the hobby. They are usually members of the Stuartgranti complex, but again, there are lots of those too. Even worse - all female peacocks look alike and can (and do) hybridise. This is why someone breeding peacocks would not want her.

IMO, if the fish was sold to you as a male, but was really a colour-fed female, it is the sole responsibility of the vendor. I would be asking that they take the fish back for a refund. If the shop won't take her, you might as well keep her, providing you don't move any fry on that are produced by her (she'll provide a great source of live food!).

Any WA-ite hobbyists who breed nice things that would suit this aquarium... Get in touch with Scotty81 and open up the squillions of other compatible species to 'im. :)

Cheers,

Andrew.

Spot on Andrew.

I would be wary of another jewel as if you get a pair your going to have troubles. google the R F jewel for some info on their breeding .They defend a good size area that your tank does not provide.

Same with the peacock, as Andrew says Blue peacock can mean about 10 + species,look for egg spots & pointed long fin in anal fin for male,female more rounded. I sure would be asking for the seller to swap the fish of provide a true male for you to have a pr ?. They would breed in your tank as well as they should/ would be the same species. Ask the seller for what species his Blue Peacock is.

Thanks Dobbin!

I find that best practice with things labelled "Blue Peacock" is to assume that they are hybrids, rather than trying to guess species based on appearance. Even if the fish is male. E.g. A. stuartgranti "Mbenji" x A. stuartgranti "Cobue" will likely produce some that look like one, some like another and many "in-betweenies".

These fish may be used as display fish, but must never go back into circulation or used for breeding.

It's a tough stance, but it's the only way to be sure.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Dobbin!

I find that best practice with things labelled "Blue Peacock" is to assume that they are hybrids, rather than trying to guess species based on appearance. Even if the fish is male. E.g. A. stuartgranti "Mbenji" x A. stuartgranti "Cobue" will likely produce some that look like one, some like another and many "in-betweenies".

These fish may be used as display fish, but must never go back into circulation or used for breeding.

It's a tough stance, but it's the only way to be sure.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Ok well the peacock is going to go, I'd like to get a better looking C. Afwe as I like the look of them, but two males in the 1 tank wouldn't be good would it?? I could get rid of the other one. The red jewel is staying as it's the wifes favourite. Can someone suggest a couple of types of cichlids that would be ok in my tank that have alot of colour?? I'll replace 1 for 1 the fish that go, as as said befor I shouldn't put more in.

Its funny how the Mrs gets attached to some of the fish. I can give you a run down of the fish in my tank and you can do your research. The other part is what colours do you want? From the little I know there are some fish of simliar species you can mix if they have different colours. It is very confusing but I guess a good way is to come up with lists and post them here. There will be disagreements but do your research and beware blanket statements.

You are in an awkward situation but I admire your willingness to do the right thing. No idea what you should do with the peacock.

1M Rubescens + 2 arguably M or F

1M Afra Cobue + 2F

1M Pseudotropheous Acei Msulu + 2F

1M Copadachromis Borleyi Kadango + 2F

2 little Bristlenoses

I like the idea of red zebras and pseudotropheous demasonis and saulosis as the next lot and some petricolas. The ratios are not ideal for breeding but work for the less aggressive species I have. The ratios means I can have more species. This is all in a 215l tank.

This was chosen with a lot of help from the LFS and people here. I researched the species they talked about and looked at a lot of fish pics. The combinations and permutations are infinite.

The Mrs loves it that I have a pregnant female Afra and really wants to see the fry. I was not too bothered myself but in the interest of family harmony have made a DIY fry saver for them. I am looking forward to seeing what happens. Then to decide what to do with the fry if they make it.

Another suggestion is a tank for the wife. Main thing is have fun and look after the welfare of your current fish even if they are the most beautiful on the block.

Ok well the peacock is going to go, I'd like to get a better looking C. Afwe as I like the look of them, but two males in the 1 tank wouldn't be good would it?? I could get rid of the other one. The red jewel is staying as it's the wifes favourite. Can someone suggest a couple of types of cichlids that would be ok in my tank that have alot of colour?? I'll replace 1 for 1 the fish that go, as as said befor I shouldn't put more in.

Scotty

where abouts in Perth are you buddy

Chris

I live in Mandurah

I have offloaded the peacock and the dirtier electric yellow. A friend has yellows ( Thats all he has ) and said he'd take it.

So am after two more different fish, that could mix, and have perhaps different colour.

Have a look at the following species on google and see what grabs ya...

Protomelas taeniolatus "Namalenji Is" (Red Empress)

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka"

Nimbochromis venustus

Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango" (as mentioned earlier)

All of those should be readily available over your way. Have you had any PMs from locals offering suggestions?

Have a look at the following species on google and see what grabs ya...

Protomelas taeniolatus "Namalenji Is" (Red Empress)

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka"

Nimbochromis venustus

Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango" (as mentioned earlier)

All of those should be readily available over your way. Have you had any PMs from locals offering suggestions?

I will look them up......and yes I have been steered in the right direction. Thanks all for the help

Archived