Bought a 215l AR980 off ebay - New to cichlids

cpfc

Today I picked up a male and female Saulosi. The male and the male Afra chased each other for about an hour but no jaw locking. Quite amazing to watch and some good acrobatics. The Afra was fastest and I think he had a love on his mind as well and he came out on top despite being smaller. I then saw him flashing his stuff in front of a BN breeding cave with the female Afra in there. All the other fish stood back looking at all the fun.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I would ever be able to catch him he is so fast. Even his fry are quick.

are lfs's a secret ?

Aquariums @ Asquith

385 Pacific Highway

Asquith NSW 2077

No secret, I had to catch the Afra before he dropped his colour.

And that Rubins is sadly missed, he's most welcome to come back anytime LOL.

Cheers,

Mark

Lol when I had them my dom male saulosi and cobwe did the same thing, the tank was never still with always something going on. Randy little blighters too, I was going to get them a tv to occupy them!

I may get them more women instead while their concubines are holding. Just be careful what you show them on TV especially on SBS at night;)

Lol when I had them my dom male saulosi and cobwe did the same thing, the tank was never still with always something going on. Randy little blighters too, I was going to get them a tv to occupy them!

After a day in the tank the Saulosi is king and the Afra is now relegated to a corner of the tank. More worryingly he is not eating much and seems scared of the Saulosi. His colour is still there. I will have to keep an eye on it and more females for the Saulosi to hassle.

The Saulosi now has kicked every fish out of every cave and the Afra is stuck in his Bristlenose Breeding cave. I think I may take back the male Saulosi. He is much bigger than everyone else and a younger fella maybe more appropriate.

After annexing Poland, The Czech Republic and now the rest of Europe I have reclaimed the tank and booted out the little Hitler Saulosi. No one had a cave to live in and the Afra would not show his head. A smaller male will go in when I can get one.

After eviction the tank came back to life and no one lives in fear anymore. I will get another smaller Saulosi.

always interesting to see how the tank dynamics change with new editions. you got the worst case scenario by the sounds !

i visited your lfs a couple of days ago and met marc, top bloke...even better dog...lol

I think the worst case scenario is a murderer.

My wife got attached the to Afra and was most concerned to see him confined to cave.

The shop nearly always has something interesting going on and has always done the right thing by me and my fish.

always interesting to see how the tank dynamics change with new editions. you got the worst case scenario by the sounds !

i visited your lfs a couple of days ago and met marc, top bloke...even better dog...lol

I cannot find it. No teletransporters in there either. I do have 10 catfish in there who would their dead mother. No bones either. I will strip down tomorrow - the tank that is. I think it is the male Acei as the remaining ones have solid yellow dorsal fins.

BTW have you worked out your Crimson Tide quandary? Give Marc a ring and he will help you out.

how can it be missing ?? must be a body if its dead.

Is their any gaps through lids it could escape from? I've seen fish do some pretty amazing acrobatics and end up on the floor. Especially if it was getting chased, it's a high possibility.

I would grab a torch and have a look behind ans around the tank area.

how can it be missing ?? must be a body if its dead.

Happens all the time. The dead ones don't tend to float to the top, they tend to sink and get moved about by currents or fish. I've found missing fish dead and half decomposed under rocks or half buried in substrate for example.

Other times they can get completely devoured by other inhabitants overnight.

missiing fish can be under rocks or under the tank stand

good idea to R&R the rocks to check and as Mat said have

a look for gaps in corners where the lids usually get cut for

filters and airlines

when chased the fish will end up in the corner of the tank

and swim up ............ many have launched through a gap

that would seem physically impossible :B

Chris

I found him floating when I did the water change today. Anything could have happened but there some gouges in the forehead. :(

missiing fish can be under rocks or under the tank stand

good idea to R&R the rocks to check and as Mat said have

a look for gaps in corners where the lids usually get cut for

filters and airlines

when chased the fish will end up in the corner of the tank

and swim up ............ many have launched through a gap

that would seem physically impossible :B

Chris

Thanks.

Most are. I have concerns about the hidy limnochromis. Not sure if it is first week blues or something else. I also have a rather strange looking Acei which you can see in an earlier pic. I am thinking of maybe changing them for something else. We will see.

One peacock is certainly a female as she is carrying (see other thread).

The new male Saulosi hangs out with the female most of the time but they repetitively swim up and down in one of the corners. The female used to do that with the catfish after I exiled the murderous one.

Looks like they are all doing well, great to see your updates!

I noticed that the larger more cocky Limnochromis harrasses the smaller one whenever it sees the little one. the little one then hides. The little one also has a small tear in the tail. I will have to see how they are at the weekend. They certainly do not seem like a happy couple.

Did you read up about L auritus before you got them?They grow to 15cm.

Looks like could be male but too small to tell.

If they are a pr as you say and the smaller(maybe female) is getting hassled now I don't fancy it lasting too long.I would say its jittery (hiding, scared) because its the only female and getting all the males attention.

Getting pairs is tough on the lone female of each pair.Looks nice to have pairs but, As you have found out before with a lot of cichlids the male will hassle the female and she will battle to live.

Great photo's

That will give me the excuse for a 6 footer. I will talk with the shop and see what the options are. So far this is my first overly harrassed female. My killer Saulosi harrased everything. This weekend I will get some terracotta pots and get a lot more caves going. The LFS will do the right thing in regards to the Limno. I will check on the state tonight and may isolate along with the harrassed peacock. It may answer the big question as well.

It strikes me the potential for trouble is greatest when introducing a new fish.

Did you read up about L auritus before you got them?They grow to 15cm.

Looks like could be male but too small to tell.

If they are a pr as you say and the smaller(maybe female) is getting hassled now I don't fancy it lasting too long.I would say its jittery (hiding, scared) because its the only female and getting all the males attention.

Getting pairs is tough on the lone female of each pair.Looks nice to have pairs but, As you have found out before with a lot of cichlids the male will hassle the female and she will battle to live.

Great photo's

The hidy limno is coming out more but the larger one chases on sight. Both Afra females are holding. I cannot stop that bloke. With the Afra and Peacock having their post coital smoke the tank has calmed down. Here are some pics of the hidy (in theory female) Limnochromis Auritus.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Saulosi and Petricola dance.

IPB Image

Archived