Peppermint fry dying

zigzagfish

Gday can anyone help me out i keep losing the fry , once they used the egg yolk and free swimming they only last for a few days and die one after the other , i have tryed to put them in a fry saver no luck , put them in anothe tank with the same water no luck , i took the eggs and tamble them they hatch soon as the egg yolk is gone they start dying , all the parameters in the tank are perfect they breed regular i just cant keep them alive any suggestions please .

Zigzagfish.

Gday can anyone help me out i keep losing the fry , once they used the egg yolk and free swimming they only last for a few days and die one after the other , i have tryed to put them in a fry saver no luck , put them in anothe tank with the same water no luck , i took the eggs and tamble them they hatch soon as the egg yolk is gone they start dying , all the parameters in the tank are perfect they breed regular i just cant keep them alive any suggestions please .

Zigzagfish.

What are you feeding them after the yolk sacs have gone?

do you have soemthing they can graze on 24/7 like cucumber or zucchini?

Yes i have tryed a number of foods as im wasent sure if they were dying from starving but the same they just drop one after the other

Zigzagfish.

What are you feeding them after the yolk sacs have gone?

I have try zuccini , pumpkin , crashed wafers , crashed pellets , crashed flake you name it i have tryed it i have lost 7 batches so far around 50 to 70 fry each batch im not happy i breed albinos longfin and short , calicos , and common longfin and short so im not new at it thats why its got me confused .

Cheers .

• 2 weeks later...

Are they just dieing , what do the dead look like? uneaten, fins etc, how many males in tank? Is this first batches of fry or all from same female. How long you leave the Vegs/ food in tank, water changes ? Do you move fry?. You need to give more info to get a better answer.You say the water is perfect but nothing else.Having breed the others would confuse.

Are they just dieing , what do the dead look like? uneaten, fins etc, how many males in tank? Is this first batches of fry or all from same female. How long you leave the Vegs/ food in tank, water changes ? Do you move fry?. You need to give more info to get a better answer.You say the water is perfect but nothing else.Having breed the others would confuse.

Gday yes the fry just die after they comsume the egg sack , the dead look dead nothing missing , i have tryed leaving them in the tank and taking them out into a fry saver with same outcome , food dont stay in longer than few hrs , i dont get to do water change as they die before hand , i dont know from what female they come from as i have 5 males and 8 females in a 4foot tank , water is perfect PH 6.5 , no amonia , no nitrate or nitrite , soft water , so far i have lost 7 batches , anything else ??

Cheers

Zigzag

Gday yes the fry just die after they comsume the egg sack , the dead look dead nothing missing , i have tryed leaving them in the tank and taking them out into a fry saver with same outcome , food dont stay in longer than few hrs , i dont get to do water change as they die before hand , i dont know from what female they come from as i have 5 males and 8 females in a 4foot tank , water is perfect PH 6.5 , no amonia , no nitrate or nitrite , soft water , so far i have lost 7 batches , anything else ??

Cheers

Zigzag

Did you really measure the water parmeters or are you just assuming? If you're not getting a nitrate level either you test kit is no good or your tank isn't cycled.

Zigzagfish.

hmm if you've lost 7 batches you can probably afford a slightly more radical trial.

Next time you get a clutch take the eggs and transfer them to another tank but this time *not* with the same water.

ie a sieve or large tumbler in a tank of water that has never had any fish in it but has the same or similar parameters to your breeding tank.

If they survive longer than they do in your tank you will at least know a bit more about the problem (ie that's it some "thing", possibly a parasite transferring from parent to child after hatching).

Note that doing this will introduce a secondary problem of how to get their digestive system going without the gut flora from their parent but I've raised them under similar cicumstances on pumpkin slices and baby brine shrimp (and lots of small waterchanges).

Skippy: i haven't been able to measure any nitrates in the 6x2x2 in my lounge with any of the tests I have available :thumbup: (the fact I'm using it to cycle up and test my deltec nfp616 nitrate reactor is entirely coincidental .. .as is the fact it's the only tank I've ever had that came close to such measurements :roll )

Skippy: i haven't been able to measure any nitrates in the 6x2x2 in my lounge with any of the tests I have available :thumbup: (the fact I'm using it to cycle up and test my deltec nfp616 nitrate reactor is entirely coincidental .. .as is the fact it's the only tank I've ever had that came close to such measurements :roll )

Ok, I stand corrected........

If you're not getting a nitrate level either you test kit is no good or your tank isn't cycled or you're running a nitrate reactor.

Ok, I stand corrected........

If you're not getting a nitrate level either you test kit is no good or your tank isn't cycled or you're running a nitrate reactor.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions next batch i will remove the eggs and use fresh water with same parameters and see what happends , i didnt know i had to have nitrate in the tank i thought i had to have a zero reading , none of my 30 tanks read any nitrate ,i dont use a reactor , i do 25% water change every week .

Zigzagfish

So, do bristlenose fry need to munch on the faeces of their parents to get the gut flora (like horses need to)? I have bristlenose fry that have just absorbed their yolks, but are in a separate tank to the parents. Maybe, I will add some of the parents faeces, along with food.

Have you tried this zigzagfish?

ChorryIan wrote, "Note that doing this will introduce a secondary problem of how to get their digestive system going without the gut flora from their parent but I've raised them under similar cicumstances on pumpkin slices and baby brine shrimp (and lots of small waterchanges)."

So, do bristlenose fry need to munch on the faeces of their parents to get the gut flora (like horses need to)? I have bristlenose fry that have just absorbed their yolks, but are in a separate tank to the parents. Maybe, I will add some of the parents faeces, along with food.

Have you tried this zigzagfish?

ChorryIan wrote, "Note that doing this will introduce a secondary problem of how to get their digestive system going without the gut flora from their parent but I've raised them under similar cicumstances on pumpkin slices and baby brine shrimp (and lots of small waterchanges)."

Gday Glenn

You are second person to mention putting some of the parents faeces with the fry , so next batch i will try it out and see what happends maybe thats the trick fingers cross

Thank you

Zigzagfish

Are you changing water with exactly the same water, ie ph etc. Since you have no nitrates try not changing the water for a few weeks and / or dont change more than 10% at a time unless your new water is exactly the same as the tank water (which is almost impossible).

Are you changing water with exactly the same water, ie ph etc. Since you have no nitrates try not changing the water for a few weeks and / or dont change more than 10% at a time unless your new water is exactly the same as the tank water (which is almost impossible).

Hi Aquaholic

Im a little confused with the nitrates , i was under the impresion that if i had no amonia , no nitrates and no nitrites tha tank is running good but you are the second person to tell me if i dont have nitrates its not good , the tank has been set up for over 2 years PH 6.8 it dosent spike or crash i know that as i test very regular , my Gh is around 100ppm and kh around the same , the only fish in there are pepps , they breed regular im sure if the water was not good they will not breed the problem is the fry for some reason they just die , may be the tank is running to good for them ??

Cheers

Zigzagfish

Its worth a try , (what Aqaholic is saying) Most of my B/nose & pepps do better if your not to fussy on the water.If your feeding a lot of Vegs then its hard to keep the levels down like you have.I like to do daily water changes , no more than 10%, when i have a new batch and not upset them much.After week 3/4 dont worry to much.

Its worth a try , (what Aqaholic is saying) Most of my B/nose & pepps do better if your not to fussy on the water.If your feeding a lot of Vegs then its hard to keep the levels down like you have.I like to do daily water changes , no more than 10%, when i have a new batch and not upset them much.After week 3/4 dont worry to much.

Gday Dobbin4

Cool no probs will see how it goes next time :thumb

Having no nitrates is good-( although virtually impossible to have none) hence why we do water changes. My idea is that your water changes are killing the fry If you have no nitrates there is no need to change 25% per week. I suggest you do a vac to pic up excess waste and change only 10%. Are you making sure that the water changed is the same ph as your tank.

Just because fish breed doesnt mean the water is good. If you feed zuccini make sure you skin it.

Increase your aeration as well.

Are the parents; brother and sister?

Having no nitrates is good-( although virtually impossible to have none) hence why we do water changes. My idea is that your water changes are killing the fry If you have no nitrates there is no need to change 25% per week. I suggest you do a vac to pic up excess waste and change only 10%. Are you making sure that the water changed is the same ph as your tank.

Just because fish breed doesnt mean the water is good. If you feed zuccini make sure you skin it.

Increase your aeration as well.

Are the parents; brother and sister?

Gday Aquaholic

Ok i get what you mean now i will try the 10% and see how it goes , the PH of the water that i put back in is on 7 as i age water in a drum and adjust it before i use it , in the tank sits on 6.8 and dont change , i tryed using a mix of RO water and tap water but thats when i found that PH not stable and i would get PH crash , even adding buffer for some reason PH was never stable so for the past year i only use age tap water , i do feed Zuccini but i leave skin on i will try with no skin and i have plenty of aeration , parents are from different blood lines .

Zigzagfish

Archived