Peppermint fry dying

zigzagfish

You say they die as soon as they absorb the yolk sac

Do they attempt to eat at any stage ?

Chris

Hi Chris

They only last for a few days after they absorb the yolk sac , they dont attemt to eat they just move around the tank , they dont show any interested in the food .

Zigzagfish.

Hi Zig Zag, i have the exact same problem they just start to drop off one by one till about 2 weeks later all are dead. Some attempt to eat but it really looks like they starve to death just like yours.

I thought it was the night and day water temp variations as i have a rather small 35-40lt tank but my common bristlenose have just bred in the same tank and they are thriving, not one loss yet. the only difference is that this time i put them in a fry saver as soon as i saw the first few come out of the cave.

Are peps more delicate than common bn's? I cant seem to kill them, only did one water change in 2 weeks and only feed them every other day.

Aquaholic: Thats the only other thing i can think of...inbreds!

i didnt know i had to have nitrate in the tank i thought i had to have a zero reading , none of my 30 tanks read any nitrate ,i dont use a reactor , i do 25% water change every week .

which leaves you with almost 100% certainty that you need to get a new nitrate test I'm afraid.

If you do try raising a batch in new water then don't carry the faeces (or anything else other than the kittens/eggs themselves) over from the parents tank otherwise you'll risk bringing other nasties over as well.

This "test case" is trying to establish whether the issues is "something" being passed from parent to child where that "something" is likely to be (an educated but wild guess here..) a macro-level parasite (eg gill or body fluke) given your other symptoms.

I've seen similar symptoms in the past where such parasites appear to be stressing catfish fry enough that they just starve and die whereas their parents show no visible symptoms.

Damn, if they don't show any sign of eating

I feel they are simply starving to death

even with the last traces of yolk sac they

should be attempting to eat

what temp are the breeding tank and raising

tank running at

Chris

Hi Chris

The temp in the cooler months i run it at 27c but when i want to trigger them i do a few cooler water changes once i know the females are gravid i just do the normal once a week water change to the same temp , with the raising tank i keep the same temp 27c , but so far it dosent matter same water as parents they dont eat .

Cheers

Zigzagfish

Hi Zig Zag, i have the exact same problem they just start to drop off one by one till about 2 weeks later all are dead. Some attempt to eat but it really looks like they starve to death just like yours.

I thought it was the night and day water temp variations as i have a rather small 35-40lt tank but my common bristlenose have just bred in the same tank and they are thriving, not one loss yet. the only difference is that this time i put them in a fry saver as soon as i saw the first few come out of the cave.

Are peps more delicate than common bn's? I cant seem to kill them, only did one water change in 2 weeks and only feed them every other day.

Aquaholic: Thats the only other thing i can think of...inbreds!

Hi Osaka

Well it looks we both have the same problem mine do what yours are doing just dont want to eat and die .

you could try a uv filter.

Gday

one of the females layed a new batch today fingers cross , i do have a uv filter sitting around if this lot die i will try it with the next batch and see if it makes any difference .

Thank you

Zigzagfish

any updates Zig ?

I remembered that there was a real good thread on Peps on the PCS forum

here's the link PCS Peppermint thread

Chris

Hi Chris

Well more bad news the last batch from 2 weeks ago all gone to fish heaven this time i put them in a small tank with the same water but still they just refuse to eat anything i put in , thanks for the link i will check it out .

Zigzagfish

Hmmmmm I dont know Zig :dntknw:

they are a real problem for you

trying to think what you could do to try and stimulate them to eat

its just not natural :no:

Have you thought about using something like almond leaves in the tank

the reports on them seem to be positive in the medicinal properties they

give a tank and it has be something that is missing to trigger them

Chris

Hmmmmm I dont know Zig :dntknw:

they are a real problem for you

trying to think what you could do to try and stimulate them to eat

its just not natural :no:

Have you thought about using something like almond leaves in the tank

the reports on them seem to be positive in the medicinal properties they

give a tank and it has be something that is missing to trigger them

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you for trying to help me work something out , do you breed peps ? if you do can you run through me size tank , water , temp and what ever else you mite add to see if im missing something i just runned out of ideas , i will look into the almond leaves i have heard that they can be good any idea when i can get some?

Regards

Zigzagfish

• 3 weeks later...

G'day

I breed peppermints and to be honest it can be so utterly frustrating trying to figure out the problem(s) they have.

I suggest that you test your tank, until you get a reading on the nitrates. Nitrate should be present in your tank. The reason it should be there is that the bacteria in your tank converts the Amonia -> Nitrite and another type of bacteria converts it into Nitrate ie. Nitrite - > Nitrate. The Nitrate stays in the tank until it is either removed via a water change or a plant converts it or a Nitrate reactor is used or even a plenium is used.

If I were you I would retest everything you can and post the results up here.

Anyways, I think the problem is that the fish are not eating. Have you tried zucchini that has been microwaved or boiled until it sinks? This is an almost universally accepted food that is excellent for all bristlie type kittens and also their mums and dads as well. If they are not eating this then you really do have a problem.

I have heard of new kittens dying due to ammonia poisoning, this happens if too much food is added into the tank or Fry Saver. Please also be aware that now Sydney Water is adding chloramine into the water so do not be surprised by a spike in chlorine and ammonia when you do a water change. It may be safe to add to adult fish but not so safe for peppermint kittens.

This is what I do when I have a batch of kittens, they come with dad in his cave and are placed into a Fry Saver, here they stay until dad lets them out. This saves me having to chase them around the tank trying to catch them, they are then fed small amounts of zucchini and spirulina flake, followed soon with NLS.

During the initial 4 weeks I do not do any water changes on the tank. There are a few snails in the Fry Saver which assist me to keep the Fry Saver clean. Also if I do overfeed them, everything that has not been eaten is removed prior to their next meal.

Because Dad is initially in his cave I believe that their gut flora is populated by eating his poop.

The other essential component is to have some driftwood in the Fry Saver. I still do get some dead fry but this is generally only 5 or 6 per batch at worst.

cya

Matthew

Archived