"Lost" Cichlids

mcloughlin2

Considering times the Australian economy is in at the moment and all the hype about recessions and the like I think Australian fish hobbiests can no longer deny that the hobby has taken a hit with the numbers of people getting out of the hobby and the lack of people coming in increasing. While cichlids disappearing from the hobby isn't something isolated to just this I for one think the times are not helping.

So basically what is this thread about?

Well I've watched cichlids be produced in massive numbers before disappearing without a trace. Its a sad thing and with the prospect of the importation of cichlids being restricted even more we may have a 'crisis' on our hands.

Now I'm not particularly talking about rarer types of cichlids. They will always stay here in a dedicated hobbiests tank and because they fetch money people will keep them. Its the bread and butter cichlids that everyone sells because they cannot make money from them. So lets compile a list of cichlids that have become uncommon. Lets hope people breed them so our local fish shops can once again stock something other then mainganos and electric yellows at decent prices.

These are the cichlids of the top of my head that have become uncommon -

- Rusty cichlids (Iodotropheus sprengerae)

- Elongatus, particularly (Pseudotropheus clongatus 'chewere' )

- Albino zebras (All species)

- Maingano (Melanochromis maingano) (Seem to be taking a hit lately?)

- Venetus (Nimbochromis venetus)

- Fuelleborni (Labeotropheus fuelleborni)

- Saulosi (Pseudotropheus saulosi) (They I know someone who will be breeding these in large number in a few months and they are quality fish!)

Not saying they are impossible to find but thats all I could think of at the moment under pressure as my show is starting :lol3:

So post whatever cichlids you think have disappeared.

this always happens with many fish, they become popular then less popular, then later on you notice they become popular again.

or some fish always stay popular like electric yellows.

im sure the fish that are slowly dieing out will come back.

I think Craig Poulton started a similar thread a few months ago now.

I think Rusties are more popular now then they were 12 months ago. mainganos are always available in good numbers

Venutus, you don't see much and livingstonii are are all most impossible to find in any numbers

Fuelleborni are getting rarer Trewavasae, I haven't seen for a long time.

Three or four years ago Nigel imported about 300 wild caught peacocks. Were did they all go? There has to be some them out there now.

Josh

Well I guess I am doing my bit the following are still in my fish room and breeding with reasonable numbers being put out.

- Rusty cichlids

- Elongatus, including (Pseudotropheus clongatus 'chewere' )

- Maingano

- Venustus

- Livingstonii

- Fuelleborni

-Trewavasae

- Saulosi

It's just hard to get new blood to add to the lines.

Once a year or so I do a tank overhaul/clean & fish top up, it involves spending much time going to many melbourne aquariums, im currently in that phase.

From what ive seen lately

- Rusty: only seen them in one place, in small quantity

- Elongatus: Melbs only ever had a small variety and im dubious as to the correct ID of these. I've bought "gold bar" & "chailousi" in the past but could never be sure

- Maingano: these are curently everwhere and good quality

- Salousi: Once a staple of every aquarium, they are very thin on the ground.

There has been a lot of fish go missin over the years you don't see the fuscos around much anymore as well as good quality johani.The other is the standard electras have seen alot of the fort maguires but not the old standards. Well here in qld anyway.

Once a year or so I do a tank overhaul/clean & fish top up, it involves spending much time going to many melbourne aquariums, im currently in that phase.

From what ive seen lately

- Rusty: only seen them in one place, in small quantity

- Elongatus: Melbs only ever had a small variety and im dubious as to the correct ID of these. I've bought "gold bar" & "chailousi" in the past but could never be sure

- Maingano: these are curently everwhere and good quality

- Salousi: Once a staple of every aquarium, they are very thin on the ground.

I have a stomper male fusco, cant find girls for love or money, same as the tetracanthus and bloody rostratus, one big male who keeps smashing every female I can lay my hands on.

I think that a mate and I may have had a bit of luck with our N.sexfasciatus though, they seem a bit hard to find, that and I have the N.caudopunctatus going strong.

I'm glad I bought my groups of Livingstonii and Rostratus when I did - I've only seen Livingstonii once for sale and Rostratus once or twice over a few years....just reaching breeding size.

Would love to get my hands on some N Tetracanthus or L. Kendalli/Nkambae though.

N. sexfasciatus definantely have became less popular in recent years. I think they dropped out of the circle because of the high price they carried. Would be awesome to see them make a come back as it would make things easier for those who want frontosas but not 6ft tanks!

Rostratus and livingstonii are also definantely two species that have dropped in availability. I remember seeing heaps of them at LFSs about 3 years ago.

I have a colony of venetus growing up. Have two very nice males and a few female beauties to go with them.

Petcare Direct at Sutherland has sexfaciatus at moment, we also have most of the species mentioned so far in stock most of the time, purchased from reputable breeders - many of them on here.

Rostratus and livingstoni harder to get hold of still

Petcare Direct at Sutherland has sexfaciatus at moment, we also have most of the species mentioned so far in stock most of the time, purchased from reputable breeders - many of them on here.

The other one you don't see anymore is xystochromis phytophagus the christmas fulu,

I have just ordered some livingstoni and polystigma from a local guy who had some hidden away.

i said in a post a few weeks ago that i beleive in a few years time most L numbers will be common and cheap compared to todays prices and most of the cichlids people take for granted now will be rare as hens teeth. what alot of people new to the hobby dont realise is that most of the species you see around can more often then not be attributed to the efforts of one person(all of my central americans came form two people and i dare say that ninety percent of the rusties that are currently floating around nsw originally came from me). now if that one person stops breeding them and putting them out there then a fish that was once common suddenly dissappears overnight. now alot of people can say "oh theyll come back" but if you get the chance have a look at the last nswcs cichild circular, i was amazed at how many species were here but unfortunately died out. im sure back in the day people said the same thing about them. the thing is they dont come back, sure they may become desirable again and people want to bring them back but by then its often too late because you have to be able to find a fish before you can bring it back,and if you cant ifnd it then wel.... the other sad thing is when fish become rare alot of opportunists appear out of the wood work and start asking absorbitant prices for them, i had someone offer me some ps livingsonii recently for the most ridiculous price :roll so i passed. i mean how do you bring a species back when you have people like that laying the boot into them.

i took this into account about eight months ago and have been collecting mbuna species since then to store. ive got about thirty species now and the list is ever growing.

i took this into account about eight months ago and have been collecting mbuna species since then to store. ive got about thirty species now and the list is ever growing.

Let me know if you are looking for any specifics to add too mate, I have the fish but not the room at present and would like to keep as many species available as possible in the future.

The other one you don't see anymore is xystochromis phytophagus the christmas fulu,

I have just ordered some livingstoni and polystigma from a local guy who had some hidden away.

I have some christmas fulu coming in the next week or two - You should have them up in QLD but i guess alot of the blokes send them down here and then stop breeding them and the otherway around for fish common down here and rare up your way - all supply and demand, luckly the hobby has some people who are trying to keep species like this around and contine to breed and sell them, even if it does mean selling them a a quater of the price they should really be worth

are you getting German Salousi or do you have them. Are they from teh same guy that supplied the german yellows?

I would like to see pics of them. Good quality salousi are all but gone.

Good quality salousi are all but gone.

ive still got really good ones josh. ive just started breeding them again too so it shouldnt be long till theyre out there again. this males about seven years old

IPB Image

IPB Image

i had some really good females shipped down to me from queeny to go with this guy,theyre the brightest of yellows :thumb

are you getting German Salousi or do you have them. Are they from teh same guy that supplied the german yellows?

I would like to see pics of them. Good quality salousi are all but gone.

I willl be picking them up this easter weekend. And the ones i already have are very nice and yellow orange. I just hope people want to buy the new ones more then they do the old ones cause damm fish cost alot of money... as for supplier all i know is they are comming to me via a dude from brisbane so hopefully they are awesome:P

Well I guess I am doing my bit the following are still in my fish room and breeding with reasonable numbers being put out.

- Rusty cichlids

- Elongatus, including (Pseudotropheus clongatus 'chewere' )

- Maingano

- Venustus

- Livingstonii- Fuelleborni

-Trewavasae

- Saulosi

It's just hard to get new blood to add to the lines.

The ones that I have bolded I am breeding at present

Cheers

Craig

Archived