"Lost" Cichlids

mcloughlin2

Ok talking about "lost" cichlids does anyone know anything about where we can get these guys - Gulanacara geayii - Panda/Bandit Cichlid??

Are they in Australia or not? We can't seem to find them and would like to get hold of them.

Cheers

Ange

Considering times the Australian economy is in at the moment and all the hype about recessions and the like I think Australian fish hobbiests can no longer deny that the hobby has taken a hit with the numbers of people getting out of the hobby and the lack of people coming in increasing. While cichlids disappearing from the hobby isn't something isolated to just this I for one think the times are not helping.

So basically what is this thread about?

Well I've watched cichlids be produced in massive numbers before disappearing without a trace. Its a sad thing and with the prospect of the importation of cichlids being restricted even more we may have a 'crisis' on our hands.

Now I'm not particularly talking about rarer types of cichlids. They will always stay here in a dedicated hobbiests tank and because they fetch money people will keep them. Its the bread and butter cichlids that everyone sells because they cannot make money from them. So lets compile a list of cichlids that have become uncommon. Lets hope people breed them so our local fish shops can once again stock something other then mainganos and electric yellows at decent prices.

These are the cichlids of the top of my head that have become uncommon -

- Rusty cichlids (Iodotropheus sprengerae)

- Elongatus, particularly (Pseudotropheus clongatus 'chewere' )

- Albino zebras (All species)

- Maingano (Melanochromis maingano) (Seem to be taking a hit lately?)

- Venetus (Nimbochromis venetus)

- Fuelleborni (Labeotropheus fuelleborni)

- Saulosi (Pseudotropheus saulosi) (They I know someone who will be breeding these in large number in a few months and they are quality fish!)

Not saying they are impossible to find but thats all I could think of at the moment under pressure as my show is starting :lol3:

So post whatever cichlids you think have disappeared.

A friend of mine has tons of Maingano's from a breeding pair that they can't even get rid of. I only took 4 off them the other day, all about 4-5cm.

Cheers,

Ian

Archived