My bristle nose have stopped breeding.

dean1987

Nah it will be because you moved them. BN can be fairly tempramental with when they want to breed, the best advice is once they start just leave them be. They will breed again but dont be suprised if it takes another month or two for them to get used to there surroundings and get going again. HTH Cheers Andy

Were you the first to spawn this pair?

Or could they have been "bred-out"?

Sometimes as fish get older that have been bred alot in their youth their breeding rate slows. (This is usually countered with much larger brood sizes)

They spawned in my old tank twice then nothing for 2 months, then i moved them. I was just wondering why they stopped. I am not the first to spawn from them. I was given them from a friend. I suppose they colud be spawned out.

They are pretty long lived fish and get quite big in thier old age. I have had them still breeding at over 10 years old in the past.

I did suggest that it quite possibly could be the warm weather stopping them, but went and posted in the wrong strand blush.gif

See "Bristle Nose Eggs Gone"

Alan

Hi Paul,

These days I don't keep them that long. I only breed with them for 4 years, then they are retired to the LFS and replaced with a new group of 1 year old fish. That makes them about 5 when they are retired, and a couple of the guys out there due to go this year are nudging 18cm.

Alan

Archived