Peppermint BN (Breeding)

CounterStriker

hey guys

i have read a quite a fews posts on the forums about these little fellas, but most of the posts are quite old and was wondering if i could get some fresh new tips on what i should do.

i am purchacing a breeding colony of 6x Peppermin Bristlenoses that have proven to already breed on the 26/09/08

i have currently set up a 4ft tank set up with plants, drift wood, a 30cm air stone along the back wall, a canister filter and a hang on filter, and some of those teracota pot cave things and a decent heater set at about 26-28 degrees c

I think the new Peppermints will be very happy with there new home.

what i would like to know is

1, if they do breed (heres hoping) and i have clutches of eggs when they turn into fry should i leave them in the tank with the perants or

sepreate them in to my breeder net thingy its like a white stocking streched over a frame that you place in the tank or

do i even take the eggs and place the eggs in the breeder net and let them spawn in theres?

2, i have hakari algae wafer discs/pallets will they be ok to feed to the fry along with lettuce and cucumber - parboiled?

3, should i have a sperate tank for the suviving fry to grow up in?

sorry for the questions id just like to do it write and make sure im prepared.

4, my ph fluctuates between 6.5 odd give ot take a .1 or 2 up to about 7.5 odd give or take, is this the write range for health water for them

5, i have my automated light come on at 4pm till 10:30pm every day light covers the whole length of the tank, but there a a few shady spots due to large peices of drift wood and large leafed plants will that be ok or should i change the timer, or just turn it off completely and just use when i wanna look see ^^

i live in mordialloc in melbourne South East Suburbs and i would be more than happy to meet with people in the area if are willing to share info and knowledge(shoot me a pm)

thank you for any advice/replys

Lee

thanks for your replies guys

Dont worry ive been doing my research, i have read just about everything i can find on google and yahoo about the peppermint, i was just hoping i could find some people with first hand experiance that i can interact/chat with on the topic to make sure im doing things the best i can

Cheers Lee

Any idea why your Ph changes so much, that would not be good for the fry. No need to move the pepps to another tank. IMO I wouldnt. You could buy or make a large frysaver and put them in that. It makes feeding easier and they will grow faster if you can get the food to them. Feed zucchini and dont cook it. the wafers/ pellets will be ok but they might not take to them straight away. Dont remove the eggs, let the male do his job, some people put the cave in the frysaver just before they come out of the cave.

get plenty of caves and limit use of the light. They should breed without too many problems.

I'm happy to discuss via Pm

Any idea why your Ph changes so much, that would not be good for the fry. No need to move the pepps to another tank. IMO I wouldnt. You could buy or make a large frysaver and put them in that. It makes feeding easier and they will grow faster if you can get the food to them. Feed zucchini and dont cook it. the wafers/ pellets will be ok but they might not take to them straight away. Dont remove the eggs, let the male do his job, some people put the cave in the frysaver just before they come out of the cave.

get plenty of caves and limit use of the light. They should breed without too many problems.

I'm happy to discuss via Pm

thank you for your reply i will keep that all in mind

cheers lee

The lighting is on during the wrong hours of the day. I guess you have them set on that time so it coincides with you being home to view them? However they will do much better if you regulate the lights to a more natural schedule. They would be use to around 13 hours of light per day at the moment. Keep the ph @ a stable 6.5. You may need to add some more driftwood to keep it below 7.0.

Feed a mix of shelled peas, zucchini, partially boiled lettuce and pumpkin (Feed the latter sparingly)

The lighting is on during the wrong hours of the day. I guess you have them set on that time so it coincides with you being home to view them? However they will do much better if you regulate the lights to a more natural schedule. They would be use to around 13 hours of light per day at the moment. Keep the ph @ a stable 6.5. You may need to add some more driftwood to keep it below 7.0.

Feed a mix of shelled peas, zucchini, partially boiled lettuce and pumpkin (Feed the latter sparingly)

thanks mate

i should correct my self before you all shoot me, reguarding my p.h and how i said it fluctuates, it is more me not being able to match the colors on the card being a fine line between colors, i guess it depends on what mood im ib to what number i pick for the color. but i have been checking my p.h regularly for the past 4 days and it has sat at a constant 6.8, i do have 2 small tiger oscars and 2 (so called) marballed lizard catfish in there helping the cycle to get going............ for some reason i think the dude at the shop got the lizard fish wrong??? the look like 1.5 inch BN but in a spotty patten like my sailfin gibbi im not really sure what they are but there quite pretty :thumbup:

cheers lee

• 2 weeks later...

How old sre they ? or big enough to have breed

I've found they dont breed before 20 + mths old

And would need to be about 8+cm

No good with the oscars in with them as they will eat the fry in no time.

Your better off with very little lighting and only for a few hrs a day,

They dont like bright light

hey guys

i have read a quite a fews posts on the forums about these little fellas, but most of the posts are quite old and was wondering if i could get some fresh new tips on what i should do.

i am purchacing a breeding colony of 6x Peppermin Bristlenoses that have proven to already breed on the 26/09/08

i have currently set up a 4ft tank set up with plants, drift wood, a 30cm air stone along the back wall, a canister filter and a hang on filter, and some of those teracota pot cave things and a decent heater set at about 26-28 degrees c

I think the new Peppermints will be very happy with there new home.

what i would like to know is

1, if they do breed (heres hoping) and i have clutches of eggs when they turn into fry should i leave them in the tank with the perants or

sepreate them in to my breeder net thingy its like a white stocking streched over a frame that you place in the tank or

do i even take the eggs and place the eggs in the breeder net and let them spawn in theres?

2, i have hakari algae wafer discs/pallets will they be ok to feed to the fry along with lettuce and cucumber - parboiled?

3, should i have a sperate tank for the suviving fry to grow up in?

sorry for the questions id just like to do it write and make sure im prepared.

4, my ph fluctuates between 6.5 odd give ot take a .1 or 2 up to about 7.5 odd give or take, is this the write range for health water for them

5, i have my automated light come on at 4pm till 10:30pm every day light covers the whole length of the tank, but there a a few shady spots due to large peices of drift wood and large leafed plants will that be ok or should i change the timer, or just turn it off completely and just use when i wanna look see ^^

i live in mordialloc in melbourne South East Suburbs and i would be more than happy to meet with people in the area if are willing to share info and knowledge(shoot me a pm)

thank you for any advice/replys

Lee

hi Lee

would be better to leave the fry with the parents in the immediate & early stage.

Archived