Tragic beginning to the new year...

D6C1

:cryblow:

This is what I was greeted with when I came home after NYE. I feel so *@! My loved fish which took me a few years to collect and keep are dead.

I saw the cat sitting on the window sill next to the window when I came home and I thought... weird..... I walk in and I was greeted with death in the start of 2008. Tank temp was at 28.8deg. During the day the must must have over heated during the day...(No heaters in tank though)

The big bellies are from a good feed before I went out.

I still cant think straight, but here it is...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I feel so so sorry for you...years ago I had tanks overheat and it is heart wrenching. I know a little of what you must be going through

My sympathies

Bill

:(

That's a really sad sight to be greeted with for the first day of the year.

What sort of temperatures did your place reach to get them like that?

I know, at times my tank has read 32°C and my fish have survived.

Never the less, sad sad sad to hear about your loss.

:cryblow:

I feel terrible for you mate.

My tanks sit on 29 - 31 degrees over summer, but I have low stocked tanks with lots of air and water movement, and have never lost fish in the room to heat.

That's the problem with large fish - they hate the high temps and the lowered oxygen levels that accompany it.

dude we all feel the pain, has happen to me a couple of times, nothing worse, just don't look at tank for a bit, then get back up on that horse,

Damn i lost frotosas with tank overheating it really rips out your heart.

I know what u must be feeling

What a start to the New year, things could only get better from here :cryblow:

Those clown loaches looked well fed!!! Jeez!!

Sorry to hear about your loss, maybe you should delete those pics to stop the painfull reminder about your loss?

It can only get better fr 2008 buddy. =(

As terrible as it sounds, you should try to look on it as a (very shaky) positive.

Perhaps you regretted the way something was set up? This will give you the opportunity to start fresh and improve your system. Maybe there's a particular fish you have wanted to keep but couldn't because of your other large fish?

Anyway, try to gain at least a little positive out of a very sad situation. Have a think about what you'd like to start fresh with and I'm sure the forum members will help you out with some fishy donations to get you started again.......

Tragic loss but it happens to the best of us <_<

We have had two heater malfunctions over 10 years where we have been greeted with fish soup - once to a community tank like yours and once to a tank of full grown geos - not nice at all to clean up :(

Technical malfunctions aside -an overstocked tank may not deal at all with an increase of a few degrees over summer so let this alert everyone to keep their eye on their tem and O2 levels as the weather finally starts to heat up. Think about freezing some tank water into blocks to assist in the cooling process if needed.

When you are ready - I for one would be more than happy to help out as suggested by Vis :hug:

Toufic it's certainly a bad start to the year but the rest of the year will just get better from here.

Another positive to come from this is that your loss will help others to realise the dangers of an overheated tank. So although it won't bring your fish back, at least you might be able to feel a little better knowing that you've helped others.

I'm guessing that temps were 30 32+ at the least. Last year, the temp reached 32 and the fish were fine, but I did a huge water change to be on the safe side. Didn't anticipate this one at all with all the cool weather thats been around.

My place is usually a lot cooler than the outside, so again, not something I anticipated.

I have not counted all the fish or their $$ value. All the clown loaches were around 15cm+ with a little few at around 12cms. The convicts were the best that I have seen around and I had plans in the pipe line to breed them and keep the good traits going. That, I cant do anymore..

Its taken me a few years to build up my collection. That jardini took me almost a year to find and I traveled 2hours each way to pick up.

I'm totally devastated at the loss and hurts when I look at an empty tank. I still refuse to believe it, but unfortunately the empty tank is true reminder.

I've posted pics before, but heres a couple...

IPB Image

IPB Image

I absolutely loved this guy.. he was my number 1...

IPB Image

This convict pair is so faithful. The girl has always bred with him for the past 2 years... Have fended off all the other males advances... Never ceased to amaze me...

IPB Image

Thanks to all for the kind words.. Still undecided whether to re-start or hang up my nets... I still want to achieve a couple of things, but I will do that in one of my smaller tanks for now once my thoughts settle and I can think clearer. I don't know.... :dntknw:

As terrible as it sounds, you should try to look on it as a (very shaky) positive.

Perhaps you regretted the way something was set up? This will give you the opportunity to start fresh and improve your system. Maybe there's a particular fish you have wanted to keep but couldn't because of your other large fish?

Anyway, try to gain at least a little positive out of a very sad situation. Have a think about what you'd like to start fresh with and I'm sure the forum members will help you out with some fishy donations to get you started again.......

Thanks mate.

The only thing I regret is having white crushed marble instead of black gravel so I will take the opportunity to get that changed.

Otherwise nothing that comes to mind... I was at the stage where I was happy with the stock and have what I wanted to keep in there. :(

I'm trying to stay positive, but its like losing a loved one.

Very tragic - sorry for your loss. Those photos are distressing, but thanks for taking the time to post them up.

Hopefully other people will be able to learn from your catastophic loss.

The big feed you gave them could have been a contributing factor in the kill as the oxygen would have been consumed at a higher rate (with digestion). In addition warmer water carries less oxygen.

My advice to people is to feed less (or not at all) on the hot days as it will keep the oxygen demand lower.

Archived