7 bars

midnightexpress

Adan,

I have seen these fish also and yes they are very very bad 7bars.

I think their breeder would be breeding 7bar to 7bar but they are just probably bad strians, i dont know how they sell it sicne the price is also rediculous.

also PM me if you still want them vinegar eels..im free all weekend

cheers

Richard

I've seen which ones you're talking about. Without naming any names I personally think its a crime to sell deformed fish especially aquariums as they would (and should) have knowledge of the fish they sell to their customers. It's like they have no ethics and are knowingly ripping off their unsuspecting customers.

Shame, shame, shame <_<

I'd have to totally disagree with you Nigel on that one :)

I believe the problem is genetic and have seen the results on some of my own fry. A reject can be picked at a few days old and you can see the barring already (either good or bad) so I think food and water has little influence except for growth rates and health of the fry themselves.

:D no worries Nigel.

A 6 bar female I used to have had two dickey bars at the tail end of her body on one side only. Everytime she had fry, about 50% of them would have the same dicky bars. Are you suggesting that if I had fed her differently she would have thrown good fry?? :) I doubt it.

Hmmm...environment versus hereditary..

I would have to agree with Anita on this. My uncle was in Vietnam and exposed to chemicals there. He had a child who was born with a cleft pallet which could back up Nigel's argument (since his first born, without deformity, arrived before his tour). However, would you say that blue eyes, or widow's peaks or the ability to roll your tongue are environmentally determined??

I guess what I'm trying to say (probably in a clumsy way) is that not all "mutations" are of environmental origin.

merjo

.I think they should just kill them all.

I think that's just plain wrong :B

Do you kill or throw out everything that's not perfect? :o

IMO there's nothing wrong with the shop selling them, the fish are only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay at the end of the day.

Re: environment versus hereditary

Bit of both :D

Environment would cause the initial problem which then may or may not be passed on to the offspring.

Tsk tsk Edward.

What would you have us do if poor quality fish like these get into the mainstream and end up mixed with good quality fish. What would result is that there would be no good quality fish at all for anybody. Would you just call it a new species?

Josh

I expect most (but definately not all) variation is genetic.

Good food and environment definately help - but given that almost all the fish in question are deformed in more or less the same way I would say in this case the problem is a genetic one.

To me at least it is unlikely that they are cross breeds - more likely (IMCO) is that they are the product of serious inbreeding.

Tsk tsk Edward.

What would you have us do if poor quality fish like these get into the mainstream and end up mixed with good quality fish. What would result is that there would be no good quality fish at all for anybody. Would you just call it a new species?

Josh

Josh,

I'd assume breeders would know what a quality fish is and would not even attempt to mate a below standard fish with any of their fish.

Cheers.

There are plenty of people I would like to see steralised so they can't pass on their crappy genes too.

Who is defining what a quality frontosa looks like? Search through pictures of wild fronnies. Tell me how many would fit the criteria to be a "breeder" in someone like Anita's tanks. ((Anita knows I am not having a personal shot at her)) The frontosa we have in tanks now are pretty much line bred versions of wild varients. If somebody finally did import some new stock, wild or F1, or a new varient like the "Blue Zaires" everybody is jumping around about, everyone would then go on to bitch about how crap the bars are.

If the fish were supposed to have perfectly straight, perfectly even barring, then the majority of wild stock would look that way, instead of the miniority.

You frontosa people are shooting your own feet, in your eternal bid for perfection you are loosing or neglecting the majority of different bloodlines because of a few scales out of place. This is how the fish actually look!!

**end rant**

Sorry but Im sick of hearing about frontosa <_<

There's only 2 in Canley Vale. If you go up a little there is one in Lansvale and another in Cabramatta (more a petshop from what I hear of this one).

Its definitely not the one in Lansvale. They haven't stocked up on fronties for a while now. I only know this cos that's my LFS.

Archived