DIY fry saver with Mpanga Fry

KIMO

With Mathew's encouragement i've decided to do a DIY frysaver and use it for my first batch of Ps. Mpanga.

I have 3 females that are holding, one has been stripped and another due next week and the third soon after that.

I hope my contraption works.

Please feel free to comment on my design as this is just a big learning curve for me and hopefully will provide reference for anyone else intending to try DIY frysavers.

Thanks,

KimO.

1st shot showing frysaver in place inside community tank...

IPB Image

2nd shot shows side view...

IPB Image

3rd shot showing modification as the silicon used started to let go.....

IPB Image

4th shot showing inlet tube for direct water injection via spray bar (low pressure water flow).....

IPB Image

remaning photos showing my little babies....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hi Kimo,

Re: The 'Mpanga Hilton' :8

Very impressive, you seem to have ticked all the boxes. :thumb

Cheers,

Lee.

:thumb i like it simple affective you helped me been wandering about a fry box and how to do it seen some hang on hooks wired on floating , the only thing that i would suggest is on your in line tube a adjustment valve , anyway thanks cheers next time im having a drink i will have one or two for you cheers :lol3:

Update............

I have over 30 fry in that container now, from 3 females and they're all growing very well.

As advised by a friend, all i have to do from time to time is to clean the insides of any old food and algae buildup which has started to develop. I've decided to use a medicine dropper (brand new one) to suck up any muck on the bottom and i scoop any floating bits with a small cup. It's a bit slow but there is little to no chance of harming the fry.

The direct injection of clean filtered water is working a treat in my opinion and as there is only one inlet tube, the fry are not over exerting themselves in any way.

Oh, and thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. :thumb:thumb:thumb

KimO.

Nice design. Maybe a bit smaller would not take up so much tank space hope you dont end up with one of these in all your tanks ,,lol,, but the fry should grow fast and well and cut down on those daily cleaning etc. Well done

• 2 weeks later...
I like what you've done. great idea.

Thank you.

I've actually found that the cable ties holding the fry saver to the tube gives you a bit more flexibility when you need to move it around

ie: for cleaning, water changes and for catching the fry.

They are now ready for their own grow out tank where i already have ten of them in to make sure they're ok and to make sure the new tank is ok.

I ran a sponge filter in my main tank for about a month to colonise it and i'm now using this in the grow out tank.

I'll need the fry saver soon as i have another two Female Mpanga holding again.

Cheers,

KimO.

Archived