4ft tank project

FlashieFront

WoW!!!

This is a good step by step! Thanks for going through the trouble of posting this, really for our benefit. Plus you get to show off your handy work ( and your son's).

Great job so far!!! :thumb:thumb:thumb

KimO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the sump! I've grown used to only seeing sumps on huge tanks, seeing a "compact" unit for a 4 footer is refreshing.

Have you given much thought to the way you've organised the filter media? It just seems like theres a lot of mechanical filtration going on in between the matrix etc that seems a little redundant. Maintainence on all those separate bits of foam is going to be annoying as well. I'd leave the first baffle empty for settling, fill the second with the varying levels of mechanical media and then put all the matrix and crushed coral in the last compartment.

Anyway, not telling you how it should be, just curious as to why you've done it that way!

I like the sump! I've grown used to only seeing sumps on huge tanks, seeing a "compact" unit for a 4 footer is refreshing.

Have you given much thought to the way you've organised the filter media? It just seems like theres a lot of mechanical filtration going on in between the matrix etc that seems a little redundant. Maintainence on all those separate bits of foam is going to be annoying as well. I'd leave the first baffle empty for settling, fill the second with the varying levels of mechanical media and then put all the matrix and crushed coral in the last compartment.

Anyway, not telling you how it should be, just curious as to why you've done it that way!

question? where did u get the sump? I am looking for one for a breeding set up.

cheers

Rob

love the set up :thumbup:

Mollay

I brought the sump all ready like that, it only used to have those green media in there standing up side ways. i wanted to to have a free empty baffle but i throught what the heck i'll throught all the matrix i had, didnt want to store it away cause it was only a little left. As for cleaning i'll only be taking the white wool out and replacing it when its dirty. i wont b cleaning those green ones. On the first baffle i will be putting a drip although it wont work as one, its just to spread the water evenly and to give it a bit of a settling i hope. If i brought a new sump i would of had that settling baffle. I was so tempted to leave it empty. and i like the look of it as well the way its set up.

Robdog

I brought the sump from GAV used, I gave it a good clean. He said he got it from (wayne) extreme aquariums.

Just put a light with a switch under the frame, only cause i had some to many lying around, and put the back panel on last night.

IPB Image

As for the light, i wanted to have some reflecting light under the hood, luckly enought i managed to find some mirror like reflective stuff on a old display smoking box at a takeaway shop, i cut it up (just enought) and glued and srewed it on. heres what it looks like.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thumbs up from my son who helped me srew down the reflective stuff and glue it as well.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now i need to go and get blue and pink tubes.

I'll start putting the doors on and just a coulpe of little stuff b4 i start setting it up.

well keep u posted.

cheers

Alright, picked up my tubes, and put them in. I did a test shot with no water and now i cant wait. Anyway here r the tubes im using

IPB Image

PINK

IPB Image

BLUE

IPB Image

Lights turned on

IPB Image

And that other little stuff

I've got two small square little drips. One Ill be using for a 5ft tank (next project) and the other one for this one. The longer ones r for my sump. still need to drill them, but im using one in the first baffle so it stop the water droping in one place, and the other in the last baffle, this is because as the water runs over into this one it only dirty's that side so this well spread it out. Same as for the wier, i didnt want the water just running down the walls. so by putting this in it well work as a drip. Proberly not needed but i had the bio ball sitting around, maybe it help just a little bit.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

this is the tank before i start to put the sand in rock etc.

This is were the fun beginins

IPB Image

Nearly there, it is almost fish time :lol2:

keep the pics rolling in mate :thumbup:

Looking the goods...

This may be a stupid question but what colour does the tank look when it has pink and blue lights?

Also are you going to be putting anything in front of the weir?

Looking the goods...

This may be a stupid question but what colour does the tank look when it has pink and blue lights?

Don't worry Ill post a pic up so u can see the colours, but its a redish blue? it makes it look really clear, and no i wont be putting any thing in front of the weir, i dont have anything big eoungh to cover it. I should of got black glass for that part.

cheers

You can cover most of it with a nice, tall piece of driftwood.

Trust me when i say that you won't be pleased with look of the wier especially after the effort you've gone through...even down to hiding your air lines.

You'll figure something out.........there's stacks of ways of making it less visible.

It's all looking good however, and we're all waiting in anticipation for water and aquascape and of course FISHIES!!!

Cheers,

KimO.

Looking the goods...

Don't worry Ill post a pic up so u can see the colours, but its a redish blue? it makes it look really clear, and no i wont be putting any thing in front of the weir, i dont have anything big eoungh to cover it. I should of got black glass for that part.

cheers

Atleast the weir is tidy and the rest of the tank too.... I'm sure it wont cause any problems :) Your fish are going to love the tank thats for sure with no heaters strainers or anything like cluttering up the tank :) I think you and your vistors will love it for the same reason.

looking good Jim! What are those orange things on the bottom of the tank?

Look like air stones to me ?.

sotto is spot on.

Just a quick up date.

I well b going to look for some back perspex, and i'm just decieding what colour gravel i well be using. i've just brought black 3mm and i got some crushed coral sand mixed with small rocks. Have to see which one looks better now.

keep u posted

cheers

Was very sick all week, still sick so i didn't have time to get perpex, I've decieded not to worry about and not to put in in there. the results im still happy.

Filling the tank. I filled half the tank using water from another tank and then used from a barrell which is ready.

Here are the finished pic's of the tank

cheers

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

with lights first taken with no flash:

pink only

IPB Image

then blue only

IPB Image

both lights

IPB Image

I'll get pics on the sump running in a couple of days need to buy a spare part for the pump, and i need to buy a new air pump, the one im using now isn't strong enough. I'll get some pics of the whole cabinet after as well. U dodn't see many fish cause there all hidding still, give it a couple of days and I'll try and get a good pic

cheers

Fantastic project step by step with a happy ending!!!

That new tank looks spectacular.....you and your son should be proud and i think most here on ACE are applauding your efforts!!!

Well done and Thanks for sharing, :thumb:thumb:thumb

KimO.

Archived