MY NEW MONSTER !

sean

Hi guys

i was thinking the other day about what to stock my 4x2x2 with (lake victorians) but ....................

This lady brought in this awesome 30cm + zebra tilapia , she said she brought it at 3-4cm and put it in with 2 6 cm oscars. With in 4 months she said both oscars where gone and the tilapia was growing to fast for her tank ( 3tf x 18) and so she brought it in . well today at work another workmate was feeding him and he jumped at the tank lids smashing them and sending a wave of water over a few people (which i found quite amusin) well because of this incident the boss said "dont care what ya sell it for just get rid of him"

as soon as you stand near the tank he comes straight to the glass attacking it , and if you run your finger along the tank he goes ABSOLUTLY NUTS...

i immediatly thought he would be sweet to put in my new display tank in lounge room (hes got character galaore) and would be a good little source of entertainment when the mates are around .....

SO SWOOP I DID :)

i got him for $50 i think its a big male when i get him home i will snap a few pics . Im giving this big fella the 4x2x2 to himself

so far i have had extra thick lids made for the tank (to hopefully lessen chance of him smashing lids)

i have started paying off a fluval fx5

i have brought 2x300w heaters (pretty much same price as 200w)

i have used a medium course black gravel (hopefully help bring out his colours)

and a few large rocks for him to play with

i should put a $20 under a rock in the tank and tell my mates if they can get it with him in there they can have it lol

SO...............

my questions are ???

Has anyone owned or own on of these beautiful fish ?

can anyone give me and advice , info on these fish

will the 4x2x2 be big enough for him permantly ?

thanks in advance

p.s if anyones got any pics of these fish feel free to post them here

Sorry i can't give you any advice on this species but i can't wait to see the pics!! He sounds like a true individual....definately needs his own tank, probably a big one.

Oh, and by the way.......Brought is to bring......Bought is to buy.

Sorry for the diction lesson.

KimO.

yeah his a buttikoferi a big bugger too

i think mattyr might have seen him when he was at my work a few days ago

yeah little v i did it with my old male jag 1 of my mates got the $20 be his arm copped a flogging lol

yeah kimo hes a beats all right

everyone that comes into work fizzes over him

p.s i cant spell for crap dude

half the people on here could vouche for that lol

I love beastie fish, that's why i love mbuna.

But by the sounds of it, your fish is a few levels up in the beastie ladder!!

Don't worry about me, my mum's an English teacher and that's why i'm fussy. Hope i didn't offend you.

Show us your fish soon.

KimO.

BTW...what shop do you work at???

I've grew up three before in a 6x2x2. They are awesome fish.. It ended up being two males and 1 female and all lived happily together with other fish.. They had black and gold bars with blue lips.. Very beautiful fish.. Cant wait to see pics of yours

F1 there Ash / Tilapia Buttikoferi .... errmm ive seen buttikoferi @50cm+ ...

Absolute killing machines with the wrong tankmates.

I have personaly seen buttikoferi & marie (insert very angry & abusive verb!!) loose in Crystal Creek, just north of Cairns chomping on Melinatania Rainbows & young Macrobanchium Rosembergi Giant F/W Prawns (fortunately the Sleepy Cod & Jungle Perch are almost keeping them under control).... and like heaps of Tilapia can handle a very wide range of water peramiters so pls dont put in a dam.

PS> I believe almost All Tilapia spcs will soon be Class 5 Noxious in Qld = Huge fines!

PPS> Pls excuse all future spelling mistakes in this here online fish pond, regardless of forum topic.......

Afterall .......

I Am Only A Fish :8

thanks for your replies guyz

kimo mate it takes a fair bit to offend me dude (dont think nothing of it mate) its all cool :)

d6c1 yeah this big fellas the same black and goldish/whiteish bars with big thick lips (good for kissing ) lol he actually retracts his teeth out and scrapes them on the glass the bugger lol

yeah mooks im doing the $20 trick but after todays effort trying to clean filter in huis tank (im upgradeing it to a $50 ) lol cause he smashed me today drwn blood is and understatment

yeah when we first got him i had to check up on the net

its illegal to have them everywhere but n.s.w i belive

because they can thrive in most situations

correct me if im wrong but isnt nrth qld river systems full of them ?

p.s kimo i work at Taree Pet barn mate GOOD OL TAREE LOL

It must be fun working in a pet barn.

A little info for you guys......

My brother is an avid fisherman who fishes bream/bass comps. everywhere. He knows of spots here in NSW where he regularly catches

Fingermark and Mangrove Jacks!! These are regarded as Tropical water fish but can obviously adapt to our cooler conditions.

There is probably nothing stopping these fish (Tilapia) doing the same, so i suppose we must be careful.

Still, they make great aquarium specimens!

KimO.

I have personaly seen buttikoferi & marie (insert very angry & abusive verb!!) loose in Crystal Creek, just north of Cairns chomping on Melinatania Rainbows & young Macrobanchium Rosembergi Giant F/W Prawns (fortunately the Sleepy Cod & Jungle Perch are almost keeping them under control)....

Crystal Creek is just north of Townsville & I know full well how illegal Tilapia are up here. ;)

They used to have fishing competitions to catch out the Tilapia in an effort to flow them down, in vain though I believe :(

i use to see tilapia on display at the costis seafood market down in blacktown a few years ago, a friend kept the buttikoferi, i dont remember her boy being that agro

trust me sarah this thing is pretty dam nasty lol (its like a physco red devil ) trapped in a talapia body lol

lol ct thompson , your more then welcome to fly or bus it up here and have a go :)

yeah kimo its pretty cool working at petbarn (first pick of the fish when they arrive ) lol plus i got 2 parrots , 2 staffys , and 2 long hair guinea pigs , which are funny i put them in a critter ball and let them roam the house (when dogs are outside of course ) so you could say i have my own little pet barn at home

ALTHOUGH SOME MORE FISH TANKS WOULD BE NICE !!!!!

yeah i get him on monday set my tank up saturday and let cycle 4 2 days

i will get some video footage of him (saying hello ) lmao

and i will definatly snap a few pics of him

might try and find him a ladie friend

SO KEEP AN EAR OUT PEOPLES

thanks for all your comments

sean

They get giant and meaner with size and and age.

I think that size tank will be fine for him on his own.

But not with a mate.

They are killing machines so probably not worth putting any fish in with him.

Here is a link to PDF form from ACT.

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2005-...df/2005-255.pdf

Correct me if im wrong but isnt Tilapia illegal to own. as motor man said they are a Noxious fish, be careful

here is a pic of one http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/Tilap...ttikoferi_3.jpg

some facts

under the Fisheries Act 1994 "it is an offence to bring noxious fisheries resources (meaning fish) or cause noxious fisheries resources to be brought into Queensland; or possess, rear, sell or buy noxious fisheries resources; or relate noxious fisheries resources; or cause noxious fisheries resources to be placed or released, into Queensland waters. This includes keeping them in an aquarium or farm dam. Fines of up to $150 000 can be imposed on anyone having noxious fish in their possession without a permit. Noxious fish cannot be kept, hatched, reared or sold. When caught all noxious fish should be destroyed; they must not be returned to the water and must not be used as bait. Anyone releasing noxious fish may be charged with the cost of eradication and removal of those fish." It is advised that if any tilapia is caught they should be buried above the high watermark.

The plain fact of the matter is that on any given day there are hundreds of people who go out and target tilapia to eat as it is held that they are quite edible. They are breaking the local law and could face the consequences if caught. But it seems this is the only way that numbers are being kept down. In saying that, it needs to be emphasised that anyone who puts tilapia or any noxious fish into a body of water anywhere is a bloody idiot. I hope this has cleared the water some in regard to Tilapia. For further inquiries contact your local Fisheries office.

List of noxious fish in Queensland.

1- Carp

2- Piranhas

3- Tilapia

4- Walking Catfish

5- Bluegill

6- Electric Eel

7- Grass Carp

8- Largemouth Bass

9- Mosquitofish

10- Nile Perch (alive only)

11- Parasitic Catfish

12- Pike Cichlid

13- Snakehead

14- Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

15- Tigerfish

16- Chinese Weather Loach

cheers

Ash > The creek im refering to flows through Redlynch 15mins nth of Cairns... hmmm thought it was Crystal Creek....

hrm, might be two crystal creeks then :blink

Spose there is like 100 "3 mile creeks" around the joint :lol2:

Archived