MY NEW MONSTER !

sean

Ash > The creek im refering to flows through Redlynch 15mins nth of Cairns... hmmm thought it was Crystal Creek....

hrm, might be two crystal creeks then :blink

Ash/Saratoga are you referring to Crystal Cascades? not crystal creek? Isn't that 15 minutes from Redlynch?

I hate to say it ... but isn't this all a bit of a worry? This is a noxious animal. It should not be kept. And suggestions of getting a mate are even more concerning. There is reasons that government departments make legislations as to what we can and cannot keep, and these should be adhered to. Research has shown that these animals threaten our native populations and ecosystem by preying on other animals and changing the environment eg: digging pits and changing the turbidity of water and producing waste high in protein.

This forum bans the discussion of using feeder fish, etc, because it is illegal.

Is this discussion not about something that is illegal?

ps: I raised a fox cub once - it was abandoned at four days of age. So I also know how doggedly the authorities will track anyone who breaches these laws.

pps: The fox was sent to an animal trainer who had a liscence to keep such animals. He was desexed and descented and lived as a pet whilst staring in tv comercials, etc.

Why are we so concerned about this fish being "illegal".

I think everyone needs to take a back step and calm down a bit.

Yes the fish is noxious.....but that's in our river systems. This fish is in an AQUARIUM!!!!!

I think Sean(the owner) knows all this and if not, well, he does now.

If he's keeping it in a tank, then why is there such an issue.

Sean is probably responsible enough to realise that you don't release non-native fish into our systems.

I think there are alot more goldfish being "flushed", so why aren't we talking about stopping goldfish sales??

Let's put things in perspective and enjoy the fish for what it is and NOT for what it may be capable of if released....right Sean???

KimO.

Just saying laws are made for a reason - ie: if everyone is so responsible why are the fish in the rivers now?

Sean maybe a saint but we are discussing the keeping of an illegal, noxious pest on an open forum - and glorifying it. Not everyone reading this may be as responsible as Sean. They may think keeping and breeding these Tilapia so their mates can stick their arms in the tank and they can all ltao sounds like the coolest thing they have ever heard of.

That is just one of the many responsibilities with keeping fish.

What Ash said...........That's my point!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish are fish, some are bad, some are good. Who cares??

As long as we are all responsible, we can enjoy them all in the security of our well kept aquariums.

KimO.

Well i sure hope that the people that take the time to register and respond on these forums take a responsible approach to fish keeping, especially with these types of fish.

Let's concentrate on talking about the fish, not the politics.

That's enough from me anyway,

Have fun and enjoy your fish,

KimO.

SPOT ON KIMO

im not fussed about the illegal legal convo (always good to know )

and of course im not gonna release it into a pond yet along a river system .

yes ash its banned in qld & not nsw

well i got him today

brought him home to his nice new tank (set it up as display tank in my room) i closed the curtains and tryed to make the room as dark and stress free as possible...... all was good for bout half an hour then i heard a big bang/smash , i ran into my room to find the lids on 1 side of my tank broken and all the gravel up 1 side :(

so i got some lids of my other tank and put them on

BUT HE KEEPS TRYING TO LEAP OUT OF THE TANK

and hitting the lids

I NEED HELP

how can i stop the lids smashing main reason is im worried bout this is i could be at work and he could do it again and and give my room a shower

i was thinking percpex lids or maybe putting something hevy on them to stop him ???????

any advice ?

or is it just stress from being moved to a new tank ?

his by himself , and i havent turned the tank light on yet (TO WORRIED BOUT WHAT HE WILL DO ) lol

i will keep you guys posted

all the gravel up 1 side :(

They like to dig. so most likely when you were gone, he re-arranged his tank....

Remove any objects in the tank so he doesnt scrape and wound himself on them...

Are the water parameters right?

Is anything spooking him? Insects walking on the tank?

i no they like to dig .

there is nothing in the tank exccept the gravel and a big hevy rock that he cant push (the rock is a smoothy) . i have seen what he is upto this morning .

you no how africans swim downwards then turn there side and rub there gills on the gravel , well that what he is doin but becasue hes huge everytime he does it it moves half the tank around

i woke up this morning to find all the gravel up the other end of tank lol

HE SEEMS TO OF SETTELED DOWN

i think it just might of been him stressing a little

or i think its the reflection of the side of the tank (he might think its another fish ?

cause he just stares and stares at himself lol (pretty boy)

the tank is in my room so there are no objects on the top of tank to spook him

other then the light and the tank hood

you no how africans swim downwards then turn there side and rub there gills on the gravel , well that what he is doin but becasue hes huge everytime he does it it moves half the tank around

Sounds like there is an iritation. White spot perhaps

Add some sea salt to your tank and bump up the temp.

i cant post any pics till i get my new memory card :(

lol ( i should of put the money under the rock before i put him in )

now i gotta take him on to put it there lol

hes goin ok now that he has his gravel where he wants it

i added another 10kg of gravel so he has a bit more to dig & play around in !!!!! hes starting to get used to the tank

i just fed him 8 blood worm blocks and his still thrashing round the top wanting more :)

hes gonna be a expensive little bugger to feed lol

if my pc wasnt in a different room i would

i should have some photos and video footage up in the next few days

his colours are awesome now cause i used black gravel (was in a tank of white gravel at work) now his black is like JET black and his white stripes look better .

BUT THE THING I LOVE THE MOST ABOUT HIM IS HIS BIG BLUE LIPS :)

p.s i named him " BOOF "

if my pc wasnt in a different room i would

i should have some photos and video footage up in the next few days

his colours are awesome now cause i used black gravel (was in a tank of white gravel at work) now his black is like JET black and his white stripes look better .

BUT THE THING I LOVE THE MOST ABOUT HIM IS HIS BIG BLUE LIPS :)

p.s i named him " BOOF "

Sean. 'Boof' sounds awesome! Can't wait to see some pictures. Keep up the good work, mate. :clap

Archived