DIY Ice Cream Filter

dunl

G'day dunl

I do the same thing as fiona. I add the tube to the top of the bottle. I believe it increases the amount of water drawn through the filter.

To do it: use the "pop top" found on juice and sports drinks. Then add an appropriately sized pipe onto the end. Check out your local plumbing supplies.

Just be sure to remove the plastic inside the "pop top" (You will know what I am talking about when you look inside one of the "pop tops"), as this will decrease the amount of water that can be drawn through the filter.

Yup Matty that's what I do exactly!

You can get the tubing from the hardware too. I just use the clear stuff. Um. Diameter. Well I can't read it so I just measured. About 10mm internal diameter. Mine may not be exactly what it was when I bought it but it's pretty close.

Depends on the fish Peter. I have some kribs and thomasi in a tank with one that has mainly just gravel in it and a little shell grit as a little bit of buffer but not too much. Just enough to reduce pH swings (or that's the theory). Rift lake fish my medium is coarse shell grit. I may just use those filters (a varying number of them) or may use them in conjunction with powerhead filtration of one sort or another depending on the application.

My version of this is the bottom 3/4 of a 2 litre Coke bottle. A standard air up lift (like what comes with an under gravel filter) and almost filler with No2 crushed marble. The outlet of the uplift allows you to see just how much water they put through. It is amazing how well theses things work and for so little cost.

Craig.

Good point fiona...also the taller container would (proportionately) allow faster water exchange through the vessel. That is, a taller, narrower container has greater forces acting upon it than a more squat sump. Therefore the water would be drawn through quicker and effect a greater transfer of water through the tank and filter (not taking into consideration mechanical aid of course).

merjo

Archived