DIY Ice Cream Filter

dunl

i havent tried those DIY filters yet so i cant really comment.

I make another type when im in desperate need for a filter. Here is a pic. I use it in conjuction with corner air filters and it seems to work very well. All you need is a good container and a little powerhead and the filter media and your away. Just pump the water up into the container and through media and it drains straight back into the tank.

user posted image

each to there own i guess. You just have to find what works best for yourself.

HTH biggrin.gif

i use them quite a bit. I find them simply awesome. I always have some running, even if I don't need them, that way I can set a tank up straight away. for me setting up a tank means adding water and chucking in a couple of ice cream containers till the main filtration is up and working. they work fine on their own or in conjunction with other filtration. just use as many as you need to keep the water clean. not like it costs much to get em ready either smile.gif.

so yeah, best damn filter for the worlds best price.... its free!

does the water drain back to the tank through a hole/s in the bottom of the container as i can see only one pipe

its looks as if there is a pipe coming out the bottom right hand corner of the container.

okay, i'm going to ask what may come across as a very dumb question, but doesn't an airpump blow air??? How do you suck the water out of the tank and into the filter? Call my dumb but I just don't understand sad.gif

Mbuna that airpipe on the right hand side of the pic is actually leading into the tank im assuming that is running the corner filter , i was curious as to where the pipe was leading the water back to the tank ,

Hoges the powerhead located inside the tank is pumping the water up the black pipe into the plastic container .

still cant figure though how the water is getting back into the tank from the container unsure.gif

If you look closely at the bootom right of the container, there looks like there is a jury-rigged bulkhead connector and pipe leading back to the tank. The bulkhead looks like it's metal...

Cheers - OziOscar.

sorry guyz & galz i should have explained a little better. ohmy.gif

Yes the air line running in to tank runs the corner filter. biggrin.gif

Has no metal parts involved.

and yes the outlet is in the bottem right corner of container.

user posted image

sorry to confuse you all blush.gif

Panga

it looks to me like one of those cereal plastic containers how did you manage to make the hole for the fitting without cracking the plastic, i find the plastic cracks easily on household plastic containers, no doubt im probably not using the right tools, its a great idea though what you have done

thx Sarah.

The way i did the hole was i started with a small drill bit and drilled the small hole first. Then i got a bigger bit each time and did it that way. I took my time as you said the plastic can split very easy.

Yeah its just a everyday tuperware container. I used it so i could place the lid on top (but not air tight) to stop dust etc falling into filter.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

What is the outlet made of??

Also, if you put the container in hot / near boiling water for a few minutes, it softens it enough so that you can drill through with the right sized bit in one go at low RPM. Only works on polypropylene containers (softish lunch box, *upperware, etc) but not on polycarbonate (hard shiny, super clear) stuff.

Cheers - OziOscar.

So again.... How many gallons would one of these filter? I have one hooked to an Elite800 air pump....

And I am also wondering...I have a plastic top on the pop bottle, to let a smaller amount of air out at a time. Is the air just rising to the top, or is it creating a vacuum that is sucking water in? I don't see anything being sucked into it... unsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

What is the outlet made of??

Black plastic. I think i picked it up years ago from hardware. The right angle piece fits in snuggly

the right angle peices you get to join black poly pipe ( i think thats what it is called ) the stuff used for watering systems.

biggrin.gif

How many gallons it will filter depends on what size container you use, how much water flow you can get through it and how much media you put it. Not an easily answerable question.

As for the pipe out the top, never used these so would rather not answer but i'd imagine you don't "really" need it.

Matt

G'day Dunl

I cannot be specific about how much water goes through the filter rolleyes.gif , but I have single icecream filters in my 2 foot tanks.

On one of the four foot tank I have two icecream filters {only}. This tank has 10 breading adult saulosi, 3 dubosi (visiting) and a breeding pair of bristlies with some fry as well.

There are no problems at all with this tank. I suppose the only downside is that you have to gravel syphon when doing water changes. As there is insufficient water movement to suck out heaps of the rubbish.

So in summary it is a fantastic biological filter but not the best mechanical filter. (But believe me they work, just wait until you clean them, mine turn almost black)

If you find that they are not working well enough, just add more, I have seen four in a four foot tank that was way overstocked. biggrin.gif

G'day Matthew,

Thanks for the information. I have one in a 4ft tank right now, and it's a pretty understocked tank right now, but it will do the trick until I get a HOT filter for the tank.

My only concern was that the air might be just "floating" through the water up and out of the filter, and not sucking any water in.... smile.gif

Archived