Allocation of Auction Lots

Bijengum

Hi Brett,

You said "Gee what a drop in numbers."

As I said previously this is not a drop in membership numbers, we have roughly the same number of financial members now as we did the same time last year. This did not seem to be a problem last year when you were a executive committee member. How have things changed?

We have actually only issued 1000 badges as the Membership numbers start at 100. The club now has 309 members including those who joined on Saturday Night.

The mebership is growing not declining. The number if innactive members out there is due to the natural cycle of the hobby that everyone experiances. Most cant seem to get the fish out of there blood and come back sooner or latter.

Once again i ask that you read the threads carefully and stop trying to stir the pot for your own enjoyment. Your comments & critisisims no longer appear to be contructive but snide backhanders directed at the current committee.

Please let committee do its job. If you can be contructive we are happy to listen. We are aware the current scenario is not perfect and it will be changed for the next auction. We can not do more than this. I will say again for the slow that the preparation for this Auction has been no different to the October Auction which YOU were involved in. You had no complaints with the system then, why are you complaining now?

This will be my final post on the matter as i believe no further contructive information can be gained from this disscusion continuing, particularly at the level at which you participate. If you have any ideas or suggestions to improve the membership retention rate committee would love to hear them.

@nthony

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I started this post my intention was to point out that the system of handing out lots to "first in - best dressed" was not the fairest system for a Society which is NSW based. That is there are people outside the Sydney area who have a legitimate interest. I realise that there is a lot of work involved and I accept that there can't be anything done for the coming auction in March. I also accept that the committee will look at introducing a fairer sytem. I cannot accept the reasoning however that "we have done it this way before and there have been no complaints and therefore there is no reason to change.

I look forward to contructive changes and would be happy to discuss the matter with any of the committee members that are interested.

Geez Brett, it's a shame you weren't this dedicated and concerned when you were on the committee yourself. When exactly did you throw in your recent resignation and what was the reason??? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

But besides all that, this post was about the auction lots, not your opinions on our membership. If you want to discuss that, start another thread or better yet, turn up at a meeting and publicly ask your questions. blush.gif

Daniel, non members can get lots as well but pay a higher premium for not being members. Now all the lots have been issued, it gets back to how many are actually excesses and will be returned to us before the auction. These are usually handled by Cichlids_au and I am guessing he will be doing that job again this time round.

we have done it this way before and there have been no complaints and therefore there is no reason to change.

Sorry to nit-pick but that isn't the impression I got at all. To me it seems the current committee has definately realised the need for change to this system. However, what they say is that previously to this situation, there has not been need to change. Which there wasn't, as seen by the fact nobody ever complained before.

Can one of the moderators create a 'NSW Cichlid Society' discussion group so that all of these arguements can continue outside of the 'General Cichlid Discussion' group? The number of posts that just related to the society are growing everyday.

It seems to me like it is starting to get personal and usually by this time a post like this would have been locked. wink.gif

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thats your second good idea Rodney !!!!!

To those running this auction please remember, the vast, silent majority are WITH YOU !!!

As Anthony has stated the process has been followed as usual and this time there was an anomally. Some people missed out, so did I and I have fish to sell too. I have winged about stuff like this in the past too, but the fact is the committee do a bloody good job. They do the best they can with what they have! This is a fish club not IRAQ!!

If your not happy, stand for committee next and either put up, or shut up!!

Craig Douglas.

I think most the vocal people are with them as well, there was very few critising the committee, maybe only one and that wasn't even about the subject at hand. I thought most posts were about trying to see if we could maybe get a redistribution happening here for this next auction smile.gif. with some luck there may be some lots handed back and more people can get a chance to sell.

Just a thought....

Maybe the demand for the upcoming auction has been fuelled by a) no mini at the december meet and b) people being away/ busy for January which only leaves them the Feb mini as an opportunity to offload fish between the start of November and the start of March..

And yes most members of the SCP are probably competely behind the committee who i am sure will resolve the situation to the best of their ability...

Shoot me down if you wish, but i don't understand why the lot limit is 64.

If there is a limit of 5 lots of the one species of fish then there can't possibly be too many people out there breeding 13 species to be able to submit 64 lots.

It would be good to know the 7 people who took their full alotment.

Do these people own local fish shops or run fishrooms as an income not just as a hobby? I feel that the society is trying their best to make these people happy and not looking after the small breeder by setting the limit to 64.

BTW I am not entering any lots in the auction and do not wish to at this time.

Ok here’s a thought......

A letter goes out to all NSWCS members (financial) asking if they would like to enter lots in the major auction, also have a check box stating something like "if more lots became available would you like extra lots". You then get the number of lots and divide it by the members who say yes. Example

309 letters to member asking the question would you like to participate

250 reply yes, so 1000 divided by 250 equal 4 lots per person (with a deadline for answer or you lose the lots.)

250 member are asked for confirmation of attendance (with a deadline for answer or you lose the lots.)

200 reply yes we would like to attend therefore 50 members allocations or 200 lots, are put back into the system.

Those people who would like extra allocations are then divided amongst the remaining lots (if not enough lots to divide, names will be pulled from a hat or similar.)

Maybe this might give people a shot at getting involved in the auctions and maybe get a bit more variety in the lots.

Brett/crabros

You have been asked not to stir this thread, yet you seem intent on doing so.

This is the scp, not the nswcs. Surely you have not lost all the contact numbers for nswcs committee members? If you have a valid question of them, please feel free to contact them about it.

I have deleted your post and ask that you leave this thread to those who have something relevent and helpful to add.

Play your games elsewhere please.

Archived