Allocation of Auction Lots

Bijengum

could work laurie, that is for sure. but certainly won't happen in time for the next one.

should we start another thread to air suggestions for the next one in october? cos we really need to focus on trying to help people get some lots for the next auction in this thread

oh and btw, I won't be after ANY lots cos I am not selling. I just prefer seeing a fair system smile.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree something does need to change

& I was one of the people who got lots the other night although I didn't take a full complement of 64

& like laurie I will hand some of mine back to enable some other people to have some ,

perhaps in the future they ahould have a smaller amount available to each

individual .

mark

Sorry just a couple of things

David: Not everybody has email/web access, that is by far the unfairest suggestion I have heard (and I spend my life on a computer so I know its the easiest way for many of us, just not alot of others) Not having a dig at you, but surely you understand what I'm saying?

About the Wollongong branch. So right now, the Sydney meetings are considered NSWCS meetings. And the Wollongong are NSWCS "Wollongong Branch"? So this is not a Sydney auction? But a NSWCS auction? (I am truely trying to grasp this as I type now) And yet, at some other point in time, Wollongong has their own major Gong auction? I should probably pay more attention but i'm trying to work out what all the fuss is about.

As far as I can tell, the way the lots were distributed this time is pretty much how they are always distributed? Except that (unfortunately for some) more people wanting a large number of lots got to the front of the line?

Spot on Ducksta

Absolutley nothing different has happened this time around.

The following reply has been posted in another thread

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify things, nothing different has happened this time around, we used the same process to distribute lots as was used for the October 03 auction. It was before the October 03 Auction that committee voted to reduce the total lots from 1200 to 1000 and the maximum INDIVIDUAL allocation from 80 to 64. This system was tried and tested in October without any problem or complaints. We did not anticipate the demand to be any different this time around.

Last auction the 1000 lots were allocated to a total of 36 members with 5 taking their full allocation. There were NO complaints last time around. We simply used the system that has work well in the past.

It is now obvious that the system no longer works given the increased interest in the auction, committee will be addressing this issue to prevent it reoccurring at future auctions.

As far as claims there is going to be no variety, this auction should be no different to any of our previous auctions as the total lots have been distributed to a similar number of members.

While committee are aware we need to address the problem our more immediate concern now is the planning of the March Auction, which includes the testing of our new computer program. The Auction is only 3 weeks away. If we are unable to conduct our committee meeting you jeopardise the Auction taking place at all.

The solution is not as simple as "just print more lots". There are only so many lots that can be auctioned off in a day and if we print any more we will still be auctioning fish at 3A.M in the morning. This is a scenario that has occurred at past auctions and sellers get almost nothing when their lots get auctioned so late at night.

Once again I apologise to all those who missed out on lots and make a request that all those who took lots, if you have too many or more than you need please return them to the committee so they can be redistributed to members who need them. Please be reassured that committee will act to ensure a more even distribution of lots next time around now that we are aware of the level of interest in selling fish in the Auction.

Regards,

Anthony Ramsey smile.gif

P.S All your ideas and suggestuions both for the future distribution of lots and the the running of the auction will be considered by committee

Hi guys,

I really think it is going to be a very sad day for the club. The club has around 1000 members and only 32 sellers can sell there fish on the day. mad.gif

ALL members whom pay for there membership should be aloud too have a chance at selling there fish on this day. rolleyes.gif

It is one thing for the mini auction with the new rule changes, but the big auction is something else. tongue.gif

I hope the committee can overcome this problem and give everyone a fair go. wink.gif

thats my opinion

Brett

dry.gif Hi Brett , i don't know where you came up with 32 ?

but i only got 16 !!! And i want to know why my post was deleted

thankyou Mark ?? .... You will find it in the Admin section .. Ta ..

I won't come to stay if you are'nt nice to me sad.gif ...

Andy .... tongue.gif

I really think it is going to be a very sad day for the club. The club has around 1000 members and only 32 sellers can sell there fish on the day.
Trying to stir things up again Brett? Get your facts right! There is no difference to the distribution of lot numbers between this and any of the other auctions and the same group of people take the same number or less of lots.
ALL members whom pay for there membership should be aloud too have a chance at selling there fish on this day.
I didn't quite hear that? Are you saying that we just divvy up the lots according to member numbers?

Seems i was listening huh ???

You were supposed to be *reading* lungy tongue.giftongue.gif

That way you would have seen these bits in this thread...

A total of 32 different members took lots for the auction with 7 of those members taking the full allocation of 64 from the total of 1000 lots

That makes something like (7 x 64) + (25 x 22) = approx 1000 split between 32 members

If you read even harder you might have picked up that I took 24 and one of the lots of 64 was actually split betwene 2 members which gives

(6 x 64) + (1 x 24) + (2 x 32) + (24 x 22) = approx 1000 split between 33 members

Snooping the other threads on this subject and it surfaces that in the previous auction only 36 members received lots and apparently there were no problems with people missing.

So this could mean

• the three members who would normally have received lots and didn't this time are remarkably vocal and have lots of vocal friends, or
  • there's a lot of people jumping on this bandwagon for no particular reason other than it is a bandwagon and they get entertainment out of setting light to wagons (ahem... not thinking of anyone in particular lungy tongue.gif )
  • interest in the auction has unexpectedly increased enormously and the auction committee were caught unprepared. Unfortunate but you can hardly hold a grudge against 'em for being omniscientfully challenged.

My guess is all three and a few more I haven't thought of are playing a role here

Wow, I didn't realise that so many people rely on selling fish to make a living, perhaps they should consider opening their own LFS if that's the case? I don't see what the big deal is if you miss out on selling fish this time round. I agree that the lot distribution is probably unfair but geez guys, relax as there will be other opportunities to sell fish.

I thought the main idea of attending the NSWCS is to share/obtain information about cichlids and not to make a profit, obviously the lure of the greenback is far too strong for some of us. dry.gif

Ok. Enough is enough. mad.gifmad.gif

What is it that you don't understand about the responses that continue to reiterate that NOTHING IS BEING DONE DIFFERENTLY THIS TIME??? in relation to the distribution of lots.

There are a few different scenarios that can take place:

Limit lots to 10 per membership, to apparently please the masses that missed out -like that one? This one will surely limit the variety you all so desire.

Have no lot limit and continue the auction till it ends - how does 4 - 5 am sound??? With no one allowed to leave until the hall is clean.

Or here is a great one - let's not have an auction.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but being constructive is very different from being destructive and unfortunately the actions are self sabotaging.

Don't contribute what you don't know. The club has 296 currently financial members (inc the 44 from the illawarra branch).

Gee what a drop in numbers. So is the club starting to go backwards ?.

Seems to be alot of inactive members out there. ?

What's it going to look like after renewals ?

Why are people not renewing there membership. ?

Brett

Once Again Brett, please check your facts before you put your foot in your mouth. The clubs membership is most definitely not declining.

Over the last few years’ membership numbers usually climb to between 300-350 by the end of the financial year, of these 200-250 will renew their membership in July/August. The club has now issued 1100 badges since we started using badges in the early 90's. Please stop quoting false statistics to make yourself feel better. The figures you will see this year are no different to the trend observed in previous years, many of which you served on the committee. Was it a problem then?

@NTHONY

Hi Anthony,

Why is it a problem that I ask questions.

Im interested that we have had 1100 badges given out and yet we have only 250 members in Sydney.

There must be a reason for the decline or non renewals. The problem is that as soon as people start asking questions they get shot down.

Yes I was on the committee and even then nobody could answer the questions posted.

I feel good everyday with or without the NSWCS.

check your facts before you put your foot in your mouth

Gee what a drop in numbers. So is the club starting to go backwards ?.

Seems to be alot of inactive members out there. ?

What's it going to look like after renewals ?

Why are people not renewing there membership. ?

Where are the facts except the earlier post. eg 1000 members. Why dont you answer the questions I have posted. You have answered two out off 4 thats a start.

It is sad however that the auction has shrunk and out of the 296 members only 32 members can sell the 44 Wollongong members didnt even know there was no lot numbers left for them to sell fish.

3 NSWCS members that were present at the gong meeting have taken names to try and help with the situation I take my hat of too them. I just hope that this problem can be solved quickly. It's not good when out off state guys can't even sell there fish at our auction. New blood lines. ?

Nope its no problem but the NSWCS should be trying to find ways of holding onto there members. 850 members have been lost since the 90's. Question is why ? and what can be done to improve it.

Thats my opinion

Brett

Archived