Photos of My Tanks & Fish

CThompson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have seen these tanks in person and I agree that photos can not do them justice. Craigs filtration setups and they is all fantastic stuff and well thought out.

Craig - have you seen signs of wasting in your kitumba? I started with 9 that were passed the wasting phase but not the jumping out of the tank phase. It looks like I have possibly have 7 females and no males. Ideal if the 2 males did not decide to jump into a lower tank :(<_< .

Also remember seeing that multi tank and I am sure that you could have fitted more multis in there I seem to remember an inch or so of swimming room :lol3::lol3:

cheers

rosco

I too have seen these tanks in person and I agree that photos can not do them justice. Craigs filtration setups and they is all fantastic stuff and well thought out.

Craig - have you seen signs of wasting in your kitumba? I started with 9 that were passed the wasting phase but not the jumping out of the tank phase. It looks like I have possibly have 7 females and no males. Ideal if the 2 males did not decide to jump into a lower tank.

Also remember seeing that multi tank and I am sure that you could have fitted more multis in there I seem to remember an inch or so of swimming room

cheers

rosco

Rosco,

Thanks for the compliments.

I can say with complete paranoia that they have never shown any signs of wasting. I can also add that all young in the tank are growing up – which won’t happen in fish with wasting. The oldest ones now are (?) just a bit short of colouring up (in the case of males) I think. :wub

I added some calvus over a year ago with one female spitting food that I never thought much of as it was a clavus, and looked normal (for a laterally compressed fish). Shortly after introduction some nigripinnis started to show what I have come to regard as “classic symptoms” for wasting, but I dosed the crap out of the whole tank (in the food) for a couple of months, and culled anything that wasn’t eating/was spitting, and it never went to the leptosoma. I believe the calvus was somehow acting as a carrier but had not gone further down the wasting path. This calvus later started eating normally, and I could no longer pick her out of the two that were in there.

I ALWAYS keep my tanks fully covered. When ever I have lost a fish due to jumping, I have called myself the most foul of names :zipit: as this is the dumbest, most easily avoided way of losing fish. Gosh, there are so many other ways we can lose our fish I don’t need to add another one to the list by leaving my lids open. That’s what they are for, and why I paid for them after all, so I really make sure I close all lids on all tanks (though I can be forgetful in the garage). I was actually thinking just the other night (when I left a lid open…. :roll ) I wonder if there is some sort of sensor that would go off if the contact between lid and tank side was open for too long.?

Are you saying two males of yours jumped out, and managed to land in a lower tank? Or was the “lower tank” another word for the word “ground”? What size are your fish? Are you sure they have all coloured up? If your sexing is correct, you went the other way to me, I got mostly males. I’ve got 5 yellow tailed males with one what I understand (correctly?) is called a yellow marmalade, and one blue tailed male. And the best is that their colours can change. The yellow marmalade just started out as a blue fish with a yellow tail, as the other four males still are, but it is now nearly half yellow. About a month or two back a yellow splodge opened up on the gill area and just behind the pectoral fin. At first I thought the fish was injured, and only some weeks later it became obvious that the colour change doesn’t just “creep” but can also start in new areas altogether.

I’m sure I can line you up with some males later on if you have none.

One of the things I have had made obvious to me with this sized tank is how the really destructive behaviour of Jumbo Cyprichromis in tanks that are too small, becomes their absolute highlight in a tank that is big enough to husband these activities/interactions/personalities. Their displaying to each other, males to females, and males to males (especially), is a sight to see. The males can just move so fast - two fish a meter apart can be sizing each other up, the rest of the tank oblivious to their shenanigans, and only my “god-like” perspective making it obvious to me, and then one will full on attack the other male (so fast that my eyes can’t even follow), do a quick zip around (which I can see though not tell if there is contact) and be back where it started from – all in the blink of an eye! :8 As best as I can tell no damage/contact is done by these speed attacks and they seem primarily for ….effect. I have seen two males side by side slap each other that leaves their sides’ abrassed, but it doesn’t seem to faze them in any way. Currently my top dog has been usurped. He has been the dominate fish for most of the time I’ve had them.

Interestingly, many times I will see all the males within a few centimetres of each other, but without concern or showing any sort of aggressive behaviour characteristics towards each other. It seems to me that they are only aggressive when they want to be, and only do damage when they can’t get far enough away from each other for the distance to be seen as “calling it quits” :yes: .

As you may be able to tell, I really like these fish :hug: , they really are something else again, but it has taken a tank of this size for me to really appreciate them as all the behaviours that can be so destructive in smaller tanks become such positives in a tank of this size.

I expected to have others comment on the multi tank, but you’re the first. For others reading this, the multis breed to the numbers displayed in the photo. Last I heard they are all doing well with their new owner.

Craig

Multi's were moved into a 3x2x2 and the population exploded ! got to the point where there wasn't enough shells for them all. est max population size was bout 400 - 450 fish plus maybe 100+ fry !!!. The only problem i have experienced with these guys is high nitrate levels..... do you know how much food these guys consumed which all equals more waste. Luckily i have no life and plenty of time for water changes every two to three days. :p A colony this size does require a fair bit of attention to water chemistry.

One other thing that has pleased me about these guys is i have rarely had to cull for deformaties.

Brett

Are you saying two males of yours jumped out, and managed to land in a lower tank? Or was the “lower tank” another word for the word “ground”? What size are your fish? Are you sure they have all coloured up?

I’m sure I can line you up with some males later on if you have none. As you may be able to tell, I really like these fish

I expected to have others comment on the multi tank

Yeap that was pretty much what I meant :lol3: . The 2 biggest ones (that got through what I thought was an impossibly small gap) were around 7-9cm from memory and only just starting to colour up an the ret were and still are substanially smaller and all around 5-6cm mark. I not 100% sure if they have all coloured up I was just going on size and growth patterns. I hope that there is 1 or 2 males still hiding ready to "come out" as it were.

Once they increase in size and I have a better idea of what my ratios are I would be really keen to grab some off you, anyhow :thumb I look forward to seeing mine develop and colour up for sure I reckon these guys are great as well

As for that multi tank I reckon I have could watched them (and all the tanks in the garage for that matter) for hours . :thumb

cheers

rosco

• 7 months later...

Craig your Julidochromis regani "?" look like the Zambian "Gold" variety. Reason being the blue outline on the fins and the cream/golden body colour. Other types of regani won't get this colour and won't get the blue outline in the fins.

Sunning tanks BTW I wish I had the space to accomadate such tanks.

Cheers

Fishmania

Would love to see a full room shot of the big tank just to take in the size of it.

I know that msg is as old as heck but I have some old photos from a roadtrip back when Craig's tank had just been installed that give a slightly wider perspecive.

http://www.planetchan.com/laurie/temp/roadtrip/index.html

I think the cheezy smile here gives a pretty good idea of how impressed Shell was with Craig's dimensions :-)

IPB Image

Be damned if thats not the "Unique Bidding Technique" singlet too.................... :zipit::zipit:

Think it must be getting near time for another fishroom crawl eh??? :dntknw:

Be damned if thats not the "Unique Bidding Technique" singlet too.................... zipit.gif zipit.gif

Think it must be getting near time for another fishroom crawl eh??? dntknw.gif

yep and yep ;);):zipit::lol4:

• 2 years later...

Thanks Chris,

a few years have gone by since the photos were taken, the tank still looks the same, not moved a rock, but the occupants have changed. Got a lot more brichardi than I started with :blink and have added Tropheus ikola, Red Rainbows and duboisi colonies (which help to keep down the brichardi numbers), as well as losing a few such as the foai (they always got eye troubles, like a cataract), and the nigripinnis (which I moved out as the brichardi were taking a toll).

The Tropheus are great, they actively watch ME when I view them through a port hole - the often come up and crowd around, fins erect watching. On the other side of the tank they race the length of tank to keep up with my walking past if it’s feeding time, but at the port hole side they gather and stare :yes:

The whole tank works well, the filter I built has been a great success, though I’d build it very slightly different if I were to do it again (thicker walls for one).

The smaller tank depicted with K1 in it is now my mbuna tank (fish from garage tanks), and the occupants of the garage tanks have significantly altered too.

Craig

2145 views - :lol3: No wonder so many people have seen the big tank, before they visit picking up fish :lol3:

The whole tank works well, the filter I built has been a great success, though I’d build it very slightly different if I were to do it again (thicker walls for one).

Hi Craig I was just wondering if you had any photos of the filter, as I'm in the process of setting up a 8"x2.5"x2.5"and I'm wanting to find the best way to build the sump. I have a few ideas but just thought it would be good to ask someone with first hand expirence. I have a old standard 5" tank that I Was going to use. I'm just unsure of dimentions eg. (Chamber spacing, hieghts etc?). Any help would be great.

I love your tank, it is amazing! I just can't wait to set mine up to have the same enjoyment of watching them assimalate how they would be in the wild.

Awesome!

Thanks in advance mate

Stu

The whole tank works well, the filter I built has been a great success, though I'd build it very slightly different if I were to do it again (thicker walls for one).

Hi Craig I was just wondering if you had any photos of the filter, as I'm in the process of setting up a 8"x2.5"x2.5"and I'm wanting to find the best way to build the sump. I have a few ideas but just thought it would be good to ask someone with first hand expirence. I have a old standard 5" tank that I Was going to use. I'm just unsure of dimentions eg. (Chamber spacing, hieghts etc?). Any help would be great.

I love your tank, it is amazing! I just can't wait to set mine up to have the same enjoyment of watching them assimalate how they would be in the wild.

Awesome!

Thanks in advance mate

Stu

PM me your email address and I'll send you some photos.

To copy what I have done your tank will need to have an "overflow" box though;

Under the overflow box I built what I have called a "trickle draw filter", which sits on top of the sump. Water over flows the tank into the overflow box, and via dorso standpipes enters the TDF, then passes through 4 different sized media in five different sliding draws, to the bioball chamber, then flows into the sump.

The sump has a chamber for limestone sand (water buffing), a chamber with a fixed high water level where heaters can go (and never run dry), and another minimum water level section has a small pump that cycles water though a denitrate filter made from 110mm PVC pipe (this denitrate water is recirculated back to the bioball chamber, so when main pump is off for maintenance it can still keep working). The sump is also baffled with a pond matrix section.

Also snaps love that malawi tank with yellows and cobues, you must have a few fish in there.

Those paracyps and cyps are amazing fish - have you noticed that your calvus are nice and fat from all the mouth fulls that get spat out in there, they must of grown fairly fast

For those interested parties... here are some photo's of Craig's filtration system.

Sump

IPB Image

Craigs "trickle draw filter" 4 different sized media in five different sliding draws

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

lighting

IPB Image

Just a bit of an update...

Craig's 100 litre octagonal tank planted with Anubias nanna "petite"

and bolbitis heudelotii, the fish are Praecox Rainbows.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Archived