Tanks racks

j.c fishfan

hey i was wondering what to do here.

I am thinking of making a tank rack for 4x 4x2x2 tanks but i have been told that wood will not hold this much weight and i want something that looks a bit decent as it will be going in the house and i dont want people complaining of how it looks.

Any suggestions guys?

Jamie :)

Hi mate,

Someone is pulling your leg Im afraid mate. you dont have to design it with steel.

I have a rack with 6x 4x18x18 on a wooden stand and on the other stand I have 6x 4x14x20 my big stand has 4x 5x18x20 with 2x 6x18x20 on it and its not moving for anyone.

Remember if you build it the right way you will not have a problem. If you like you are more then welcome to see for yourself how it is constructed at my house.

Im nearing completion of my fish room.

If you go steel it will cost you a small fortune. My stands cost around 150ea to complete including screws.

I have only used 90x45 oregan F7 structural timber.

The fishheads that have seen my stands will agree if you design it right you will not have a problem. All my tanks are 3 tanks high.

All the best

Brett

There is no way i'd be doing it in timber. There is no problem with the 4ft span, its the fact that the tanks are 2ft high and wide. There is a fair bit more weight there as opposed to 4x18x18's. While the stand may not ultimately fail, wooden stands are far more likely to sag under significant weight. It doesnt take much sag to crack the tank/s and cause a big mess.

I'm not saying that it cant be done, but I wouldnt be willing to risk it. There is a lot of water there to have on your floor and no doubt a lot of money invested, not to mention the safety aspects.

There is no reason why a well made metal stand cannot look good. Have it painted, or dress it in timber.

Michael

Remember if you build it the right way you will not have a problem.

You can make these out of either Steel or Timber, as long as you remember Brett's words above. A poorly designed steel rack will cause you as much grief as a poorly designed timber one.

It's a personal choice. It comes down to which do you feel more comfortable working with, which do you have access to at a good price, which do you prefer the look of etc.

Well a 50x50x4.0 RHS is approximatly 8 times as stiff as a 90x35 MGP10, however this may be irelevant as depends on how much deflection is to start off with. Difference between 8mm and 1mm is significant. difference between 0.8mm and 0.1mm is irrelevant.

Steve

Remember if you build it the right way you will not have a problem.

Probably the best advice given so far :lol3:

Steel or timber will do the right job as long as you use the right stuff for the job. I use agg-grade steel and its costs about $35 for a 6 mtr length (40x40x3mm).

Do a bit of your own research first ;-)

You are going to get lots of ideas and technical jargon here.. Since you are 13 and dont understand most of this stuff, then do a bit of learning, then come with the questions.. Highly doubt spoon feeding you would do you much good.

You can make these out of either Steel or Timber, as long as you remember Brett's words above. A poorly designed steel rack will cause you as much grief as a poorly designed timber one.

Never a truer word said Baz. I have seen 10ft length rack that did not have enough supporting cross pieces in it bend like warne's leggies v the poms. :lol3: . The metal was probably not thick enough and nowhere near enough cross supports to save a few bucks. Best to go a little bigger than you need for sure

cheers

rosco

Archived