'Wild Caught'

roskam3001

A quick question about the term 'wild caught'. A lfs that I have recently visited has advertised some fish as wild caught. As a buyer, is there anything (eg evidence) that I could expect the lfs to provide to verify this. Its an lfs that I haven't purchased from before.

G'day Roskam,

The only time you can guarantee 100% that a fish is wild caught is to catch it yourself or buy something that won't breed in captivity. :8

Having said that, your LFS can only tell you what the wholesaler is telling them (unless they are just plain BS ing you), very few LFSs import.

Certification? Unlikely. Trust is all we have :roll

Something that might help is, what type of fish is it? :p

How is that relevant?

As Lee said, all you have is gut instinct and trust.

You may be able to use the fish 'type' to guide your instinct, but it's never cut and dry. Import lists probably don't reflect what is actually entering the country (legally, illegally and the big grey area in between) and reliable export records in third world countries.... Does anything honestly need to be said :roll

Almost everything in this hobby revolves around reputation IME, if you've never dealt with the shop and don't know who supplies them, keep your ear to the ground and you will find out eventually. But then again, what your after might be gone by then ;)

How is that relevant?

Well if its a clown loach then its definantly wild caught ... :lol3: You never know, there may be a LFS that trys to take advantage of a newbie to the hobby and pretend that these fish are special ... :dntknw:

However if they are Zaire blue frontosas @ 12cm plus then yes, they are most likely wildcaughts, or imports from germany ...

If they are BN that are being advertised as Wildcaught, what do you think the chances of this being are? :roll ..

Cheers

Sam

(PS - And yes as ducksta and Lee said it all boils down to trust .. )

Thanks for the input guys. A bit more about the specific example I'm talking about. I am down from bris vegas for the week and have taken the opportunity to check out some lfs' down here (and attend the auction on saturday). The fish I saw were L. brevis 'Chaitika'. I would have to say that the lfs had, to my moderately trained eye, an excellent selection of fish - easily one of the largest varieties of species that I have seen under the one roof. My only reservation was that the assistant didn't fill me with confidence when I asked aout the wild caught label on the brevis.

I do believe there where some L. brevis 'Chaitika' bought into the country a while back. I think Auburn had them for sale.

As for proof they are wild caught, I would follow what the others have said. Its a trust and reputation.

Josh

I have some of the said fish from Auburn and at no time was I told they were wild caught. I dont think they are wild caught, but they from Germany and are a new locality variety for Oz.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry You are right Steve. I didnt mean they were wild caught, but was talking about people claiming fish are wild caught in general

The lfs i am talking about has definitiely labelled these fish as wild caught. Why would an lfs make such a claim. I could understand where, perhaps, a hobbyist would make such a claim but can't understand why a business would. As I've said previously, this lfs looked very well established and is an lfs that has been favourably mentioned in previous posts that I have seen on this forum (this is how I came to know of its existence).

Am I being naive?

Probably the best you can do is ask them where they came from (wholesaler/exporter) and try and track them back if it means that much to you.

It's wrong to label something if it's not, but who knows where this particular batch of fish have originated from??

Cheers

Steve

Steve, in terms of progressing the hobby, especially up in brisbane where the variety is not as large as it is in sydney, i guess i got excited at the thought of introducing some new lines.

It still leaves me with the question though - do any of forum members know if L.brevis 'Chaitika' have been imported into australia recently and are currently for sale at lfs' like auburn?

It all comes down to trust having imported thousands of fish myself over the years I know its hard to prove one way or the other. I doubt the lfs could get prove it he could only trust the importer and they could only trust there supplier. If you are keen to buy them and they look OK and not to expensive then what do you really have to lose.

Mickgibbo got a couple of pairs from Auburn a few months ago when they were first imported. Perhaps talk to him and see if they were labeled as wildcaught?

Hi Roskam

I bought a pair of 'wild caught' Brevis Chaitika in July on a trip to Sydney. These were definitely labelled 'wild caught' and I was told by the assistant that the owner of the shop brought them back from a recent trip to Germany for a fish expo.

Regardless of whether they are wild caught or not they are great little fish and I don't for a minute regret my purchase (tax return time is dangerous for fishoholics!). They settled in quite quickly and will eat absolutely anything, fingers included! Watching how the pair interact is gold. The male is very aggressive and very protective of his wife. He will challenge anyone or any thing (especially my cats) that come near his tank. They are also very active and the male loves to spin their muffin shell round to get it just right. All in all I am very happy with them, and I think (hope) they are finally getting ready to spawn. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Annette

Good one Annette - someone else happy with the little fellas. Unfortunately, of my 2 pairs one of the girls turned out to be a young male.. It's ok though as I have bubs growing up!!

Cheers

Steve

Archived