Mongo Brisltlenose

FREAQ

I have a very odd bristlenose he is about 6-7cm long and in the last two months he has been losing the pigment in his skin, he eats the same food as all my ohter fish (which are well fed).

This gets larger and smaller and at the moment as seen in the pic it covers his head and all the way down one side of his body. So tell me what you think.

IPB Image

Thanks,

Freaq.

I think it's weird but interesting. His health doesn't seem to be compromised, although I can offer no reasons for the pigment change. I would be interested in updates :)

Andrea :)

Nickname him Micheal Jackson! Nice looking fish with the pigment loss. Would be interesting to see if you could breed from him.

I think it's weird but interesting. His health doesn't seem to be compromised, although I can offer no reasons for the pigment change. I would be interested in updates :)

Nickname him Micheal Jackson! Nice looking fish with the pigment loss. Would be interesting to see if you could breed from him.

:lol3::lol3:

IMO he looks butt ugly, but I too, would be very interested to monitor its progress. Keep us updated with photos! :lol2:

If thats the case keep him away from the fry :p:zipit::zipit:

If thats the case keep him away from the fry :p:zipit::zipit:

Lovely mate lovely! Hopefully he not got any pokemon cards! lol

I can only think of one other incident like it that i read about in a book and have seen in cichlids. It was when a tumour was pinching a nerve and causing all of the skin chromatophores to expand perminantly. It had the effect of turning half of the head black instead of yellow. So its not exactly the same (reverse colour change and different region) but I would hazard a guess that what ever has caused this colouration, it is nervous system related.

-Mat-

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im guessing it was just "camoflaging"

i moved a dark common bristlenose from a dark(blue) bare bottom tank to a planted light gravel tank, and it is now a nice light looking bristlenose (i was thinking it would be easy to spot...but takes 5 min sometimes when its out in the open)

Archived