Some brazillies

anchar

Thanks Rob..they were fished out of the lake before the fisheries department eradication process began. Have to say they are the nicest I have ever seen...colour and shape wise. No bent tails (which seems to have crept into aquarium stock over here).

Andrea :)

clicky

hmmmm - sign of things to come in WA IMO. Do you know that WA fisheries recently gave a WA school the go ahead to farm tilapia (mozambiques or whatever they are called now???) in a fairly large scale aquaponics setup and their statement was:

"I wish to advise that Tilapia is neither listed as a noxous or restricted species, and is available through the aquarium trade. It is legal to keep the fish as a pet or to undertake research or development trials at home or at the school. No permits are required and an Aquaculture Licence is also not required as you will not be undertaking commercial aquaculture.

The species is hardy and fast growing and spawns easily and is therefore the most suitable available fish in WA for the activities you propose to undertake at the school or home environment.

As they are an introduced species, it is important that the fish are not released into our natural waterways and dams. If you have unwanted fish, they should be returned to your place of purchase or disposed of humanely, such as by freezing them.

Further information on introduced species can be found on the Department of Fisheries website at www.fish.wa.gov.au and there may be merit in distributing this information to your students, so that they are aware of the importance of keeping the fish out of rivers and streams or dams.

I hope this information is useful. Please get back to me if you have any further queries.

Regards

Barbara Sheridan

Aquaculture Policy and Industry Relations Officer. "

:blink

Simon, there are a few other threads on that forum which may be of interest to you...all under titles such as Bennett Brook, Feral expeditions etc. The PCS met last night to discuss what we, as a group, will be doing to ensure that our hobby should be allowed to continue. There will be more to come on this as it progresses over the coming weeks, including electronic petitions and the like that we hope ALL fishkeepers will sign.

Simon, there are a few other threads on that forum which may be of interest to you...all under titles such as Bennett Brook, Feral expeditions etc. The PCS met last night to discuss what we, as a group, will be doing to ensure that our hobby should be allowed to continue. There will be more to come on this as it progresses over the coming weeks, including electronic petitions and the like that we hope ALL fishkeepers will sign.

I would encourage the PCS to visit this URL then:

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/index.php

In the fish section there is a WA teacher trying to promote the virtues of tilapia as a food fish in WA. If it is used as a food fish, well, you can imagine what comes next...

PCS could take this chance to 'make a statement' on there about it. I started forming a reply but stopped figuring it would be better coming from a local expert group.

They look as good as the ones I had 10 years ago :lol4:

Seriously though, I haven't seen alot of nice ones around for a long while.

To think, back then I was trading them to shops at feeder rates, and I ended up trading 3 large breeding pairs for $5 or $10.

Nice fish :thumbup:

Hi Simon...I know the guy running the project to which you refer (in fact I provided him with the Oreochromis mossambicus fry to start his venture). I can assure you it is far from a huge set-up...in fact it is a couple of converted wheelie bins with some vegetable plants in the top to monitor nitrates. I understand your point, but I think in this case, there is no harm done...in fact a lot of good information is being imparted to the students. They are also raising some mbuna and haps. from memory. It is a small highschool project only.

Hi Simon...I know the guy running the project to which you refer (in fact I provided him with the Oreochromis mossambicus fry to start his venture). I can assure you it is far from a huge set-up...in fact it is a couple of converted wheelie bins with some vegetable plants in the top to monitor nitrates. I understand your point, but I think in this case, there is no harm done...in fact a lot of good information is being imparted to the students. They are also raising some mbuna and haps. from memory. It is a small highschool project only.

Hmmmm... I'm still not convinced it is the right message to send to kids. Sure, he can vouch for the security of his own setup (maybe... I too am a [science] teacher and have tried twice now to keep cichlids in tanks in my lab and twice they have been stolen - the 2nd time they kicked the bolt in of the door to my lab - I know the people who stole them, I have told the police and nothing - I know that up until a few days ago they still had them, have been warned to keep my distance because they are also being investigated for amphetomine and dope dealing, but recent comments heard on the 'grapevine' say that they have been 'disposed' of - if that means killed I can live with that, if it means released then I guess you are going to hear of a feral population of green terror and convicts here on Norfolk Island!!!), but he can't for the husbandry of the kids etc. We teach kids about the harm rabbits have done and that an accident is what caused the rabbit plague too (a bush fire burnt down the fence holding them in...). Kids are impressionable and we have many native species suitable for aquaculture - why introduce the aquatic version of the rabbit to the equation just because they breed easy... If they DO get released, who do you think they will point the finger at? The aquarium hobby will get put under the microscope again and its continuation again puti n jeopardy.

:lol3::lol3: I knew you couldn't resist Andrea. Nice looking fish BTW

-Mat-

Well taken points Simon :) Btw, Oreochromis mossambicus has already taken hold in a number of rivers in the state's northwest :(

Archived