Cutting 6mm glass

GTR73

I want to remove a section of the lid shelving on my 4ft, so as to allow fittment of a HOB filter. However it's proving a bit difficult being it's 6mm glass and I only have a one-wheel glass cutter. Plus it's an area attached to the actual tank, so I can't cut the glass in the normal manner by placing a glass sheet flat against a surface and snapping off the unwanted section.

After scoring off a section, I tried gently levering it away but I think it's too thick to break off easily (and I obviously don't wanna be too heavy handed and crack the actual tank).

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to achieve this? Should I try a 6-wheeled cutter or something? dntknw.gif

Thanks.

Yeah I thought there'd be other people that want to do this also smile.gif .

I already have a large external canister but the water comes out that little bit clearer with a smaller backup filter to help pick up the suspened particles. I have an Aquaclear Mini that I'd like to make use of, and as this is for my display tank you can't see a HOB as opposed to an internal canister I have in there at present.

I considered cutting away the silicon to remove the shelf altogether but it runs the whole 4ft length and is also attached to a center spar (so a bit too complicated).

I'm not very experienced with cutting glass so not even sure if my single-wheel cutter is sufficient to do the business on 6mm.

As luck would have it I have a mates tank at home that needed the same thing done, so I've done a quick guide....

Start by cleaning any built up crap off the strap and mark it where you want the strap gone.

user posted image

With a razer blade, completely cut tyhrough the silicon holding the strap to the tank for the full length that you want to remove. This is normally fairly easy if you go from above and below, but will depend on how hard the strap has been pushed onto the tank by the maker.

user posted image

When fully free, there should be a bit of give in the strap (glass is quite flexible in long strips)

user posted image

Then it is simply cutting the strap (away from the tank) - I just use a standard one wheel glass cutter.

user posted image

Then gently grab the strap a little away from the cut (on the freed side of the cut) and a light amount of pressure downwards should snap the cut cleanly (while doing this one it actually fell off itself as I did the cut). If this is being difficult it can help to tap the underside of the glass cut with the base of the glass cutter until the glass cracks along cut.

user posted image

Obviously then sand the fresh cut exposed glass. Once the silicon is removed from the area t be taken off this is actually one of the easier cuts to do (although not the easiest to get VERY cleanly - but a little bit of an angle on the straps isnt much of an issue, especially at the back of the tank.) The silicon on the rest of the strap basically holds the strap in place for you, like having it on the edge of a flat surface.

* Standard disclaimer - I take no responsibility for any damage inflicted on your property or self while trying to do this - and if you aren't capable/confident with a razer blade and glass cutting you shouldn't do it.

Cheers

Pacco

um, wouldn't that weaken the tank just a tad? perhaps shorten the brace & re-attach it?

In this case I removed a very large amount of strap (~45cm) because I am installing a modified side drop filter in the corner, which will obviously strengthen that corner of the tank more than the original brace did and will be a suitable height to also support that side of the coverglass if I decided to use any. An Aquaclear Mini cut is going to require 10cm or so which should make no difference whatsoever to the structure of any semi-decent tank. I would be personally much more concerned with trying to completely remove the entire strap structure, cut it down and reinstall, as IMO it would be very time consuming, more risky in terms of breaking the straps/ injuring yourself, and unless you also remove the face of the tank its a pain to silicon it back in "nicely".

I only cut the silicon up to (or even a mm or two before) where the cut is going to be - the silicon strength in the rest of the strap is not changed.

LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

I love the fact that you cut glass in bare feet, and took pics to prove it! tongue.gif

I had a similar issue once, I ended up modifying my HOB to fit the tank rather than modifying the tank wink2.gif

I use an angle grinder & welder bare foot, who wears shoes when working at home? laugh.gif

I've used a grinder with bare feet, and various mattocks/axes/spades etc with thongs on, I've just never provided photographic proof to anyone tongue.gif

Outstanding stuff everyone! Special thanks to Pacco for sharing his step by step guide. I will only cut away ~10cm so shouldn't affect the integrity of the tank.

Many thanks again! smile.gif

Barefoot freak here too..which is ridiculous given I work with glass all day. Yes, I mow lawns barefoot as well...and I don't put safety glasses on till after I get something in my eye...go figure.

Andrea smile.gif

has anyone mowed there lawn bare foot before  LOL.gif

That's where I draw the line. I don't like stepping on bindi's tongue.gif

Archived