whats is an easy african to breed

shaun15

Generally speaking fish that are easy to breed don't make a lot of money because they are easy to breed. You should try electric blues and yellows, they breed quite easily and people are always buying them.

Bruce

just wondering wat is an easy african to breed and gets a lot of money for the fry

Hi Shaun,

Like any commerce it is all about supply and demand smile.gif hobbyists like to call yellows and blues and bristlenose - bread and butter fish - they will always be around with moderate to high demand with both retailers and hobbyists alike smile.gif easy enough to breed, while they won't fetch high dollars per unit the numbers make up for it.

It also depends on what you consider alot of money dry.gif By the time the setup and initial colony are paid for you have the onging maintenance costs such as electricity and food and the time it takes to grow up the fry.

Lots of things to consider - that's why most of us still work even though we breed fish woot.gifLOL.gifwoot.gif Keep and breed what you feel you will enjoy keeping!!

Cheers

Aline

just wondering wat is an easy african to breed and gets a lot of money for the fry

hysterical.gifhysterical.gif usual question

you think you'll make lots of money from something that is easy to breed?

even if you work on multiple tanks with large colonies, your food and power bills will make a huge hole in any money you make. then the tax man puts his hand out for his cut. like any business, to make money you have to lay out big bucks to set up, then hope you've picked the right market.

it's only a hobby matey, you breed a few, sell a few, to help cover the purchase of another fish that you like

I reckon if you pick the right, new, Psuedo you could make some. But you would have to fork out alot to do it. I hear that Long pelvics are available but it would you lots to buy, but wouldnt take to much to breed.

Josh

its a good question and when you get the answer let me know!! i wouldnt think anyone makes much out of the hobby as most lfs wont pay money for fish but would rather give goods, the only person i know making a living (apart from lfs) doesnt breed fish but buys and sells fish,if you want to make a bit of money thats probably the way to go,one things for sure as soon as the reason for keeping fish is for making money the enjoyment will vanish overnight! if your convinced you want to breed fish go saltwater, clownfish are easy to breed ,moderately difficult to raise but a guaranteed sale at 4 months old

its a good question and when you get the answer let me know!! i wouldnt think anyone makes much out of the hobby as most lfs wont pay money for fish but would rather give goods....

I only ever get store credit, mostly cause I prefer it to actual doleros.

With breeder licensing coming in in QLD (dunno about NSW/VIC etc) one of the "Hobby vs Business" questions relates to how you sell to a LFS - bartering (i.e: store credit) is alright & no licensing or tax man needed - cash on the other hand complicates things & makes it licensed with tax involved (both GST & personal income).

Even if you made some "cash" from your hobby, you'd still make a big loss overall once everything is factored in unless you made it a business.

If you want to be a serious full on breeder, you'll need a lot of tank space, say 5000-10000l with probably 3/4 the space devoted to growing out fry. The costs would be astronomical to set up & then it would only be worthwhile if you had a secure market for the offspring.

So, how full on do you really want to be? If you just want to help pay for your hobby, go the yellows/blues/BN & maybe other things you like.

I think with care you can turn a slight profit ie: pay for some food and electricity with most fish by selecting good stock, a nice male (if applicable) and picking the fish with some care. I've made far more than I spent on a range of fish (Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Reginae", Pseudotropheus elongatus "Likoma Island", Neolamprologus brichardi "Kiku"). We're not talking about retirement money here though...

The species I'd suggest are:

Pseudotropheus saulosi

Electric yellows (L. caeruleus)

Electric blues (S. ahli)

bristlenose, multis or Julidochromis spp.

AVOID: virtually new "malawis", particularly Maylandia or Pseudotropheus spp. as these are generally subject to the typical boom - then quick bust re: prices.

Mate, i think shaun is just seeing what us guys are most likely to buy..

Im sure we all know on this site that there is a difference to what real hobbiests pay and buy and what the person who just walks in the store and buys what ever is the most colourful in the tank..

Sam

In that case, Shaun might take note of the fact that very few "real hobbiests" pay "a lot of money for the fry" of "an easy african to breed"

And also, a "real hobbiest" is generally the opposite of profit driven wink2.gif

I'm getting closer to covering my costs now and i've really only been actively caring for my fish to promote breeding etc. for 2 years. If i could cover my expenses I'd be rapt. I'd recommend the same things as most, things that colour young will sell to joe public. I breed Venustus and E.Blue and Lion heads to cover costs and because i like them. I've recently seen a few people make decent profit from breeding newly imported wild caught fish but the market does dry up quite quickly for anything new. If you try and chase the fads for profit you'll usually find you get there too late. IMO

Cheers Couchy thumbup.gif

Archived