Help...

Bruce

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bruce a weir wont fix your problem. Water will still be draining out the same size holes  rolleyes.gif

Josh

The holes won't be the same size...the current standpipes and 20mm and the ones in the weir are 40mm, double the size.

Bruce

Its a big job to change the intake setup. The tank will need to be drained new holes drilled so that means the old ones will need to be plugged. Also the weirs will need to be glued in.

To put 40mm pipe in you have to drill 50mm holes. Then you will have to find someone to come and do it or take the tank to them.

It wont be cheap also I suggest if your going to get new holes drilled to take the tank out side if you do it at home as the drill runs on water and makes a bit of a mess. Also there is always the chance of cracking the tank when you do it.

I still suggest you try to borrow a smaller pump say 4000lph and try that before going to a lot of expense.

I know it is going to cost but that really isn't too much of an issue. Even if I can get the standpipes to work I still want weirs. Besides, I tried it with a 4800l/h pump and it still didn't work. So would two 40mm holes be big enough to handle the pump? And do they make 40mm pipe?

Bruce

What size holes are in the tank now bruce? I know you have 20 pipe but what size is the hole and what sort of bulk head is it?

Its your money Bruce and if you want bigger holes and a weir then go for it!

Are you still planning to have standpipes in your weir?

At the end of the day it is still a good idea to have a t junction and a tap on your pump, just so you can adjust if if you need to.

• 3 weeks later...

Just when I thought all the problems were fixed....the weirs got done and now I'm having more problems. The weirs suck in air making bubbles in the weir, these bubbles push water over the edge of the sump glass. I was thinking a durso style standpipe but ever since the first standpipes in my tank I've been very skeptical.

Bruce

This clearly hi-lights the researched needed first tongue.gif

Why dont you try the durso style pipes? You can just get an elbow joint and use that over the intake to reduce noise etc...

This clearly hi-lights the researched needed first :p

Why dont you try the durso style pipes? You can just get an elbow joint and use that over the intake to reduce noise etc...

Try the Durso, they work. Although I'm a bit mystified why the air is pushing water over the sump glass, how high you filling the sump?

This diagram may help, the bubbles come down in the pipe from the bulkhead and as they flow into the prefilter they rise spilling water over the edge of the sump.

user posted image

Bruce

Hmmm well if you are skeptical about the standpipes is there any other way of doing it? You may have to go back to the problem of submersing your standpipe totally, which could again lead to the syphon effect.

But if the standpipe has the same size pipe as the hole then it should work shouldn't it? Also, will the hole in the end cap make bubbles or will it turn into a siphon?

Bruce

I would say do a google search on durso stand pipes and have a read.

The hole in the cap cant cause a siphon because it will be above the water line and thus only allow air in.

Is that diagram of your sump? Where the water enters it from the tank?

If so, why does the pipe go down so far under water? Shorten that and you might have less turbulence in the sump.

Again, I'm guessing because the description of your problem isn't real clear...

Yes but they will have less distance to travel to the surface, therefore they wont do as much damage I think.

Try putting an airstone just below the surface in one of your tanks. You still have lots of bubbles but they don't hit the surface at the same speed as if they were travelling from the bottom of the tank.

I might be wrong though. One of the science-types around here should have a better idea than me wink2.gif

Another thing you can try is adding an elbow to the end of the pipe, so that the elbow shoots the water (and bubbles) out across the surface more rather than dumping them deep in the water. That worked for me smile.gif

Yes I did.

I think....

Depends what your problem is. I'm assuming it is a sump issue while others have assumed it is a standpipe issue. Let's start over (again) with a clear description of the problem, including photo's where possible.

You'll get heaps of help on this forum but like most things in life you only get out what you put in. If you keep making people guess like this it wont take them long before they give up replying wink2.gif

Ok, I got some pics to show you what the problem is.

Bubbles rising up from pipe in the prefilter, you can see the watermarks on glass.

user posted image

The bubbles from the bottom

user posted image

Bubbles at the top

user posted image

Pipe to prefilter

user posted image

Prefilter side on

user posted image

Bruce

Guest j.c fishfan

he has lids on the sump but the main one he broke today!! confused.gif

but i dont think that woudl be the problem i think it would be more complicated then that.

jamie smile.gif

Archived