Wierd smell from Seachem SAFE

Kazaf

I've purchased SAFE from Gav quite a while ago, and I still have quite a bit left.

I use them when I make a water change, sometimes I'd forget to tie up the bag.

Well these past few days I've been getting wierd smells from my fish tank area, and cannot for the love of god find out where it's coming from.

The bag of SAFE is placed on top of my hood, so I walked around just a while ago getting close to the bag of SAFE my nose immediately died from a single sniff.

It's got a really strong smell coming out of it, and yes the bag is tied. The smell has stunk up my whole living room.

Just wondering are there any specific used-by dates?

And what may be the problem for the wierd smell.

Yeap thats SAFE for you. I had it happen to me once when I left the bag open. It seems to absorb moisture from the air and then absolutely stinks. I threw mine out, I dont know if it is any good once it goes like that

Josh

its still fine to use. heck mine smells like you wouldnt believe, but it still works just fine. you just need to keep it in something airtight if at all possible. if not, well just put it in the freezer and it smells far less (i have one in my fish room and it works a treat)

• 4 weeks later...
Prime doesnt smell so hot either folks.

il second that! anyone know is prime goes off at all, ive got a 4l bottle which will take me forever to use. it smells funky, and seems to have a white sediment down the bottom. still safe to use?

Excellent question! thumb.gif

its still fine to use.  heck mine smells like you wouldnt believe, but it still works just fine.  you just need to keep it in something airtight if at all possible.  if not, well just put it in the freezer and it smells far less (i have one in my fish room and it works a treat)

I keep mine in a closed container, and decant a table spoon or so at a time into the container I open every time I do a water change.

As time goes by I have also noticed a change in smell. Not as bad as

nose immediately died from a single sniff
, but enough for me to notice a difference, and wonder at its potency/effectiveness sad.gif .

It is interesting to see you write Gav that it is fine to use. I have hoped that this is so as I have continued to use mine. But I'd like to know how you came to this conclusion please? thumb.gif I mean, you can't actually go by the fact you use it and the fish don't die from chloramines - so therefore it’s okay, as there are plenty of people who don't even use water conditioners without issue (they always take a risk though).

Craig

This is just normal and it does not effect the product. As far as I know it has an unlimited shelf life. I questioned Seachem about this years ago and they assured me it had no effect on the quality of Safe.

This is just normal and it does not effect the product. As far as I know it has an unlimited shelf life. I questioned Seachem about this years ago and they assured me it had no effect on the quality of Safe.

Thanks Nigel.

Craig

Archived