No heaters in large tanks

D6C1

Does anyone in sydney run their big tanks without heaters? eg 6x2x2. Its such a large volume of water, that the temperature fluctuation should be gradual.

Would one get away without running a heater?

Does anyone do it like that? Even in winter?

I got african and american cichlids.

What minimal temperature can cichlids withhold?

I am still not running a heater in my tank. But it will only be a month or two until it goes on

Josh

Even big tanks need heaters.

up here in rochampton i have 2 X 300w heaters in the sump to my 8x2x2. In winter the temps up here get down to about nearly zero, inside it is maybe 12, the tanks without a heater will drop to about 15.....way too cold, the other tanks get reverse cycle.

hi Toufic

the temp. drop in a 6x2 would be very slow, but the rise would also be a lot slower.

when the temp. gets down to around 22c, cichlids tend to become very sluggish.

i would suggest the use of heaters, even if you only lift the temp to around 25/26c

you will see a marked improvement in thier activity and appetite

cheers; C

I would disagree that cichlids (mbunas) get very sluggish at 22 degrees thumbup.gif , however, I would fully endorse the comments that a big tank in Sydney would need a heater. It absolutely will – unless your house is heated, you must put a heater in the tank.

FYI Mbunas will happily live and breed at 22 degrees. It is the target tempreture I aim at, the problem is in summer keeping it there. thumb.gif

Craig

I would agree with Craig. The only problem I have ever had with low temperatures is a sudden drop when I added water straight from a bore without measuring it. I have had heaters fail and temps slowly drop to below 20 degC without any noticeable problems. In fact I think I have tried to keep temps too high in the past and would aim in the 22-24 area especially for the tangs.

I would disagree that cichlids (mbunas) get very sluggish at 22 degrees thumbup.gif , however, I would fully endorse the comments that a big tank in Sydney would need a heater.  It absolutely will – unless your house is heated, you must put a heater in the tank.

FYI Mbunas will happily live and breed at 22 degrees.  It is the target tempreture I aim at, the problem is in summer keeping it there. thumb.gif

Craig

Archived