Aquasonics Gone Bust? NO

Cichlabxr

Living in the country we only have one Aquarium store within 1 hour drive..... Yeh we are limited to buying from one store... sucks...really sucks..

But they are trying to tell me that "Aquasonics" has gone belly up, or simply dont make their "liquid fry starter" food anymore, and on top of that they are saying that "Bantanex" (not sure on spelling) has also been stopped due to a "cancer causing" substance..!

Can anyone confirm, or (pretty please) tell me this isnt true??????

Ive rang melbourne aquariums and they say they dont know nothing about it and are still stocking the products.. But my local aquairum is sticking by their word.. 

Saw this on another board. Didn't know where to put this message. Please move where its most appropriate. Oh yes and if anyone can debunk this rumour please do. Especially as I've been using Bactonex for ages.

Regards Martin

Living in the country we only have one Aquarium store within 1 hour drive..... Yeh we are limited to buying from one store... sucks...really sucks..

But they are trying to tell me that "Aquasonics" has gone belly up, or simply dont make their "liquid fry starter" food anymore, and on top of that they are saying that "Bantanex" (not sure on spelling) has also been stopped due to a "cancer causing" substance..!

Can anyone confirm, or (pretty please) tell me this isnt true??????

Ive rang melbourne aquariums and they say they dont know nothing about it and are still stocking the products.. But my local aquairum is sticking by their word.. 

Saw this on another board. Didn't know where to put this message. Please move where its most appropriate. Oh yes and if anyone can debunk this rumour please do. Especially as I've been using Bactonex for ages.

Regards Martin

Hi Martin

Try and contact Aquamail .The lady(Jeniffer) who runs it as far as I know is the Daughter of the Aquasonic People

Cheers

Craig

I've heard/read a lot of the fish medications are carcenagenic <spelling>... Funny enough, some of them have warnings that they "may cause cancer in the US". Does this means they don't cause cancer anywhere else... cool.gif

In reqard to Aquasonics, down my end of the woods I've actually seen all the big LFS's getting increase stocks of their products.

p.

I can't remember what the product was, but something I bought had a warning that the products may cause cancer in California (and another US state which I've forgotten)

I thought the exact same thing, crazy regulations.

That just means that california is the only place to have actually tested the carcinogenic nature of the products. I find it hard to believe that aquasonic has shut down, they have only just started changing their labelling on their packaging huh.gif . Perhaps that is why you are seeing less of them, they look different. I work in a LFS and it took me 20 min to find Hydrogrow in its new packet blush.gif

-Mat-

something I bought had a warning that the products may cause cancer in California

'twas Pimafix Ducky. I stopped using it as a substitute for bitters in my lemon and lime soon after I read that woot.gif

Andrea smile.gif

something I bought had a warning that the products may cause cancer in California

'twas Pimafix Ducky. I stopped using it as a substitute for bitters in my lemon and lime soon after I read that woot.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Don't worry Andrea, it's only a problem if you're drinking it in California. smile.gif

Go to the source.

http://www.aquasonic.com.au/

Aquasonic, it may not be known to all is a very big concern. I'd be very surprised if they were going out of business.

In regards to Bantanex, I have not used this product, but if it is a fry food, a food is very unlikely to be cancer causing.

I treat all medications as though they were carcinogenic, but I wouldn't be concerned about food.

I went to the source via email. They didn't even reply.

Bactonex is registered with the Australian Pesticides & Veterinary Medicines Authority.

Aminacrine hydrochloride is a Schedule 5 Poison which requires the use of the word Caution on the label under NSW Health Dept Regs. It is used in various medications for humans. It is listed as a CLEANSER/SANITISER with the APVMA.

Methylene Blue is listed as a Dye-Blue. It is a quinone-imine dye of the thiazin sub group. It is highly toxic and an eye irritant. Though oft-touted as being a good "cure-all" for bacterial as well as protozoan pestilences of aquarium life, Methylene Blue is best described as a decent baceriostatic, safe chemical to help reduce the presence, spread of bacterial and fungal complaints on freshwater fish eggs... Best actually used as a simple dip additive, by itself or in conjunction with other compounds... to reduce the amount of light as well as aid in oxygen carrying capacity (often important).

These Constituents are used in greater levels in other registered Aquarium products.

I went to the source via email. They didn't even reply.

Bactonex is registered with the Australian Pesticides & Veterinary Medicines Authority.

Aminacrine hydrochloride is a Schedule 5 Poison which requires the use of the word Caution on the label under NSW Health Dept Regs. It is used in various medications for humans. It is listed as a CLEANSER/SANITISER with the APVMA.

Methylene Blue is listed as a Dye-Blue. It is a quinone-imine dye of the thiazin sub group. It is highly toxic and an eye irritant. Though oft-touted as being a good "cure-all" for bacterial as well as protozoan pestilences of aquarium life, Methylene Blue is best described as a decent baceriostatic, safe chemical to help reduce the presence, spread of bacterial and fungal complaints on freshwater fish eggs... Best actually used as a simple dip additive, by itself or in conjunction with other compounds... to reduce the amount of light as well as aid in oxygen carrying capacity (often important).

These Constituents are used in greater levels in other registered Aquarium products.

I can pretty much confirm the above information. I used to work at the APVMA and have seen the ingredients and such (formulations) for the above products.

I doubt that after a major rebranding of the products (labels, posters and such) that a company would be going out of business...

I received a phone call from Sue Carson this morning. Her and her husband Richard started Aquasonics 40 years ago. Unfortunately Richard passed away suddenly during their re-location from Ingleburn to Wauchope. The company is still alive and well with over 5000 products. thumb.gif

Bactonex has been on the market now for 37 years and is definitely not carcinogenic.

This rumour has been put to bed. thumbup.gif

Regards Martin

Archived