ATTN: Dwarf cichlid keepers

YeW

Hi Dwarf Cichlid Fans -

We've instituted a new posticon to help you all identify your threads as relating to dwarf cichlids. We hope you find it a useful addition to your community of cichlidophiles here at ACE.

All users should bear in mind that dwarf cichlid generally refers only to small cichlids from west Africa and south america (and not dwarf sized rift lake cichlids). Please try and use the icon as appropriate.

It's an icon I whipped up quickly and we may be looking for better version from the membership at some point soon.

Cheers -

Dave.

Dave

Great idea

I know a few of us have already moved but I also have other chichlids so will be frequenting here anyway.

Im from Perth and almost no-one over here has Apisots, it makes obtaining stock VERY difficult so the more people who know about these little beauties the better.

Again, I think its a great idea

Mike miller

Well maybe it might be a good compromise?

A lot less work for the admins to upload little jpegs - perhaps we all could have a competition making the icons?

Make a little caricature of an apisto or ram for dwarf posts, a Baby dubosi for Tropheus (little black spotted fish would be obvious) and maybe even extend it to others as well? Jag or RD for centrals, Fronty for Tangs, Yellow for Malawians, Zebra plec for catties etc.

Dave maybe a complimentry box of tissues could be sent to those who dont appreciate the effort the mods have gone to so that, a compremise could be reached. I mean the mods have saved them from having to use the search function, but the rest of the board has to. But then again they have shown they do deserve special attention.

Dave maybe a complimentry box of tissues could be sent to those who dont appreciate the effort the mods have gone to*snip*

Hope this helps

tongue.gif

I didn't think it was possible but you dwarf fans seem to be a bigger pack of self important whingers, evenm moreso than tropheus nuts! shock.gif

I'm probably only about 1/2 joking in that statement too wink.gif

Actually in all seriousness now (my last post was just a stir up guys, if it wasn't obvious), I think taksan hit the nail square on the head. The fact that this forum keeps everything cichlid all in one place is probably a contributing factor to me trying something new (other than my beloved CA/SAs) in africans.

I never really had much interest in rift lake stuff before, all the threads & articles showing something I haven't been that exposed to has brushed off.

Maybe it might do the same for some people with dwarf cichlids? dntknw.gif

Personally I think it rocks! It's much better than a sub forum for me as when I look at the recent post page it stands out way more. I see all the new posts and the ones I am interested in, dwarfs, are already marked.

Ash/Josh -

Not sure why your posts are so antagonistic - I think it's pretty immature.

David.

Sorry for having a sense of humour & attempting to lighten the mood huh.gif

Why are people so uptight & sensitive?

I think it is a good idea, cht in the dwarf forum was a bit slow, toke ages to reply, most people prob didnt look at it much now all dwarf post will get more views

Ash -

Reading your posts it's not always apparent when something is a joke and when it's not. It's not like communicating in person - there's little body language on the forum. If it was meant as a joke that was misinterpretted I apologise - but you might want to use a few more emoticons next time.

As for my sense of humour, I do laugh. Ask anyone at the cichlid club, back in 1999 I had a good chuckle wink2.gif.

I think taksan hit the nail square on the head.  The fact that this forum keeps everything cichlid all in one place is probably a contributing factor to me trying something new (other than my beloved CA/SAs) in africans. 

Actualy the opposite is true for me .... I see all the posts with Africans and it just constantly reminds me never to have one in my tanks .... ever ! thumbup.gif

I reckon the new posticon a great idea YeW. It keeps everything on the one board where everyone can see it but makes the dwarf threads stand out nicely. I think is an excellent compromise between a subforum and an "everything" forum.

If we had a few different types of icons then those posters wishing to target a slightly narrower audience could, while those wanting everyone to look at their post could leave it ambiguous.

I reckon Ash's idea of a small comp for designing a few for different subcategories would be a great idea too. I love a good comp thumbup.gif

As for my sense of humour, I do laugh. Ask anyone at the cichlid club, back in 1999 I had a good chuckle

Woah, long time between drinks, I think you need to rent out Deuce Bigalo. tongue.gif

-Mat-

Ash -

Reading your posts it's not always apparent when something is a joke and when it's not. It's not like communicating in person - there's little body language on the forum. If it was meant as a joke that was misinterpretted I apologise - but you might want to use a few more emoticons next time.

As for my sense of humour, I do laugh. Ask anyone at the cichlid club, back in 1999 I had a good chuckle ;).

I did put one emoticon next to each tongue in cheek part of the post, the kleenex link, the stab at tropheus/dwarf nuts & the maybe I'm not joking remark.

I spose they were spaced out a lot though, I'll be sure to use more & group them together from now on.

Actualy the opposite is true for me .... I see all the posts with Africans and it just constantly reminds me never to have one in my tanks .... ever !  thumbup.gif

Not even as feeders? shock.giftongue.giflaugh.gif

Only some africans interest me, definately NOT frontosa. I'm planning on building a colony of decent yellows atm because the local stock is pretty pathetic & I'd like to recitfy that - plus they are an under rated little fish that I've always liked. When I started out I was choosing beween yellows & convicts - the cheaper guys won out & my direction was kinda set in stone from then.

Wormboy - Thanks for the support of my idea, I figure if the dwarf keepers get an icon, so should a few other "factions", starting with tropheus. smile.gif

hey I might even get some dwarfs now if for now other reason than to use the new posticon  woot.gif  woot.gif

cheer

rosco

WHAT??? You tossed my dwarf forum !!!!! All those years of providing the dwarf people a place to talk about dimensionally challenged cichlid - and for what? NOTHING!

woot.gifwoot.gifwoot.gifwoot.gif

Sorry Dave -just stirring - 1999 is a long time between laughs

Dave - you might be interested to know that jewel cichlids have been here on Norfolk Island for quite a long time now and have not had any new blood put into them for longer than anyone here can remember - am checking them out to see what they are like - don't know whether you are still on your Hemichromis crusade but thought you might be interested none-the-less. Drop me a line on voorwinde@norfolk.net.nf and I'll try and send back some digi pics.

Cheers,

Simon

Good to see you still around Simon :D! I'm hoping your beloved dwarfs get a bit more exposure here (we'll see).

I've sent you an email re: the Hemichromines. For anyone who doesnt know Simon ran one of the earliest cichlid websites in Australia - the Cichlid Tank. The Cichlid Tank provided the Australian Dwarf Cichlid Forum (which eventually merged with ACE). Simon did a lot to promote dwarf cichlids in Australia - hopefully we can entice him back to the hobby :D!

Archived