Community Tank

Scienceman

Finally I have a digital camera (Panasonic FZ5) so I can show off my 14 month old community tank. Being situated as a psudo-wall between the lounge and dining room is great because it is visable from all over the house and the fish just seem to be floating in the room, but has the down side that with no background, the room behind makes it look somewhat unatural. However at night, with all house lights off it looks spectacular, and is a great feature when at the dining table.

Here are some picture which shows the tank and some fish, who are still shy of the camera. I will do a few photo sessions at night and put up some more photos in the future.

PS the two dwarf anubias have a protective net around them to let them recover and grow a few new leaves after a year of grazing.

user posted image

user posted image

Two blue dolphins and a Phenochilius hug.gif

user posted image

Red Rubin

user posted image

Sulfur crested lithobates

user posted image

Edit: Fixed link

Thanks.

An Eheim Pro II 2028 for biological filtration and recently purchased a Fluval 404 for mechanical filtration (filled up with filter mat).

The tank is 6'X 20" X 18" and ~400L.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty pleased with the result myself. blush.gif

Yes Cam, the two smallest maingano (now 2X the original size) are yours, and the other 2 came from a LFS and sourced in Sydney. One of yours turned out to be female so I now have 2m & 2f. Did have a few mouthfulls 6 months ago from the original 2 and nothing since??

The dolphins came from from Ducksta, originally from Brisbane. They actually have an amazing blue shimmer and were the best Ducksta had seen. Unfortuantely this is not easy to photograph but I will keep trying.

Sorry to say Ben but I lost one of the yellows a couple of months ago cryblow.gif . Didn't notice he was missing but found a skeleton in a crevice and had to do a couple of water changes to remove the smell, fats etc from the water. The other two are happy campers.

Green algae is no problem and is taken care of by 2 bristlenose. I have had a battle with brush algae and used a specific algaeside and have kept my carbonate levels high, as recommended by LFS. Disappeared over summer but now seems to be creaping back - bugger!

The log on the right hand side is actually hollow with a largs split down its length. It gives the fish somewhere else to explore and is expecially liked by holding females who like to keep a low profile.

Thanks Andrea and Sarah. I am a little disappointed that the Red Rubin is orange rather than red but from what I understand, this is pretty common here in Aust.

I am having a go a go with some flametails which I got from Ducksta at 2cm. Two have just had mouthfulss thanks to the philandering of Mr Rubin which means that I have 1 male flame tail I am hoping will colour up well.

Although I am not breeding any fish, it is much more interesting to watch paired species and watch the fry, hoping one will at least survive (none yet). At present I have the following females holding:

Red Empress

Red Rubin

E. yellow

Flametail

Sera vipan flake - 2X day

Omega One - Super Colour small pellets (fish and natural pigments from salmon skin) - 1X day

Brine shrimp - occassionally

The tanks is 6' long X 18" wide X 20" deep = ~400L

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to be sure of the numbers because they never stay still and I have had a few losses, given a few away and new additions since I first set it up - but I think there are ~25. A few extra females (e. blues, flametail) will reduce numbers a bit in the future, when I can be bothered deconstructing the tank to catch them.

Blue does seem to be the dominant colour but I have tried to find fish with different shades of blue for interest.

- blue dolphin

- pheno

- maingano

- sulfur crested lithobates

- e. blue hybrid

- greenface peacock

woot.gif

Archived