massive tank

Alex

Man, nice tank size!

Depending on your budget, Tanganyika is cheapest to stock.

But, knowing you, this will have to be changed every few years and blow scuba diving to strip those pesty tropheus!

Check these out!

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43fb3d5f_6b78...ftU9.DB_0F_JHpT

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43fb3d5f_6b78...ftU9.DBxAczPGki

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43fb3d5f_6b78...ftU9.DB7p5uvgAe

Maybe USA everglade alligators will suffice? thumb.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I change my mind alot as ya know sooty. But tangs it is at the moment. But the more I look at my monsters the louder they scream at me for a massive tank.

Those alli gars are more then tempting!

• 3 months later...

I agree, awesome post Trofius ! smile.gif Sounds like my dream project ! but then again i am addicted to tangs. I agree with Trofius selection of fish especially the brichardi, no tank is complete without these guys, the amount of fry they produce reduce the need and cost to feed some of the other species. My only comment on species selection is to forget the frontosa. Don't get me wrong great fish but would you risk the effect they would have on the rest of the tank mates. Maybe if they were small but then imagine trying to get them out at a later stage.

In terms of filtration, I sugest you take a short drive up the road to midarie and have a look at the filtration setups they have at AQWA formally underwater world, WWhen i lived in perth they were more than happy to give me a tour of their filtration systems. All so try Curtain University of Technology - Aquaculture department for some ideas. "time spent on filtration is seldom wasted"

One last idea if you want a single viewing piece, give acrylic some thought, similar to that used by large aquairiums like AQWA and Sydney Aquairium. might find that you can get for similar cost to glass, and has greater strength and durability.

Good luck ! I know many a reader will be hanging out to see the project as it progresses thumbup.gif

One of the main things about a tang tank that would make it a better than a big fish only tank is that you will have a larger variety of fish. You will also be able to see how these fish interact with each other.The tank will be full of movement so you would never get bored of it. Plus all the young fry that would be produced would be amazing. Also these fish being in a tank of that size would definalty reach a much larger size than they ould reach in Say a 6by 2. I would go the tang tank and wouldnt look back there are too many positives than negatives.

thumbup.gif

you should check out a site called MONSTERFISKEEPERS.COM......the articles section has a story about a guy who built a 50,000 gallon tank..its awsome...he gives all the specs and measurements that would help you with your project .

the articles section has a story about a guy who built a 50,000 gallon tank..its awsome...he gives all the specs and measurements that would help you with your project .

You mean this one?

50,000 gal home aquarium

I really must insist on seeing this aquarium once it is complete smile.gif

my treat brews in that case thumbup.gif

I dont think this project will be completed unsure.gif

Clearly based on your close relationship with Alex based on years of ... Oh wait, WTF would you know. zipit.gif

Alex, you get the couches and the fridge, I'll still bring the beers, and maybe a fishin' pole rolleyes.gif

Their are always bound to be "haters/doubters" that's fine. In fact it's great because I'll send you both a pic each for under your pillows!

A couple things have since changed. I am half done with setting up my 8x3 as a reef tank, and let me tell you the bug has bitten, and in a huge way. So the tank will be a SW one, sorry to dissapoint fellas.

The tank also had to be a bit smaller due to some of the plans being changed.

Will get you some pics in 19-24months when im all moved in.

Alew im sorry mate- My comment was just based on the fact the thread had not been updated for a long time...

Looking forward to pictures (No im not trying to be a smartarse) but please dont go to the hassle of sending me a picture just post it on here for us all to enjoy...

smile.gif

No pictures thus yet. Will be keeping a journal of photos and comments as the tank progresses. At the moment all my new home is, is a cement pad. Not too exciting just yet...

SW?! I had you picked as a purist! dntknw.gif

Nah, any big fish tank is good (except for those giant koi ponds grrrr)

I'm surprised Anita didn't try to get you to stock it with Malawi!

Still a shame you won't have a large school of Tropheus hanging over a massive rock pile darting under cover whenever one of your male melanogenys gets a bit over zealous and tries to extend his reign a bit further than he needs to.

Cheers

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

G'day

The pad for the house only started going down this week. There was a last minute hissy fit by the council over height regulations due to neighbours complaints. Well actually one neighbour, the same neighbour we allowed to break regulations a couple years back. That's gratitude for ya!

The final dimensions ended up being 16'x12'x4.2'. It actually ended up being more expensive than we had budgeted for, but I'm sure that will be forgotten once the tank is filled with water. We had to reinforce the walls and the floors. As well as install 2 large exhaust fans to reduce humidity as the tank is in the basement of the house with no windows and little ventilation. The fans will be solar powered to try cut costs and be on the green side. I included a drain at the bottom of the tank that will work on gravity (not exactly sure of the specifics as it is below the ground) as well as a pump to cut water change time, and a tap directly above the tank. Water changes should be a piece of cake, I have never been into ageing water, I don't think it would be entirely fesible with a tank of this size anyway. I decided to tile inside the tank. Have seen a couple similar tanks from OS and it looks great.

Has all been a pretty painful process but now that it is underway atleast I have something to look at, even if it is just concrete and steel at the moment. I'll be taking pics as it all starts coming together and keep a journal. I think it should be 3-4 months before we start seeing the tank come together. But I wont forget. So stay tuned. I have invested ALOT of time and money into the planning and building of this tank, so with a bit more work and some luck I should have something truly special.

Alex

Good to see the dreams still alive, damn those bureaucrats and neighbors I've had the pleasure of battling both in the past as well.

It's a thread I've watched with interest as it pops up now and then, good luck and I hope the run to the end is hassle free.

Ross

Archived