massive tank

Alex

I have thought about almost every system possible. I'm partial to changing my mind, liking all types of fish. At the moment i have an 8x2 and 8x3 set up side by side, one with big tankbusters the other with malawis.

At the moment, the tang community looks like a goer. The only problem i can forsee at the moment is cost to stock the tank with tangs. Even tankbusters would cost me less, and i already have the sources. I usually end up having expensive taste in fish aswell.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planted tank? LOL.gif You can get your waders and pitchfork out every time the val gets too long.

But seriously, the Tang biotope tank idea sounds pretty good. Just make sure you have distinct 'zones' so the landscape doesn't become monotonous.

Oh, you shouldn't really worry about cost of stocking it. Just buy some mature fish which are assured to breed in that tank of yours. It'll be full in no time hug.gif

Shmuck - I was thinking along the same lines. But the tank will look very bare for a good year or two. 15x10 is aklot of floor space. Would be great to see a full sized featherfin pit!

How about keeping a whale laugh.gifzipit.gif

Might be easiest to fiberglass the thing rather than put tiles. It would be a massive job to tile up the place.

The Radisson tank is the real deal......if you can check out Star City's tanks they aren't half bad.

i am assumeing the walls will be like filled besser bricks and the floor concrete?

If so just coat the entire thing in pond tight, i think it even comes in different colours aswell, just paint it on,

how is the veiwing panel being installed? steel/aluminium frame sealed in silicone bolted to the walls?

and what is the veiwing panel,? 24mm triple laminate, 50mm persplex, 20 mm hardened glass or a combination?

to fill it i agree get a few adult colonies and let them breed crazy., cost will be astronomical looking at probably 5-10K in fish alone if you get the list i mentioned and that would not be those numbers..

I also think the plumbing will be crazy expensive, but as a thought maybe have 3 inch pvc pipe incorporated into the besser brick walls and have maybe 6 overflows, have the water returning over th erocks or set up a perferated line around the bottom/back behind the rocks to flush out any debre that will accumulate in there.

Oh and thats 3 people going on a road trip anymore coming....

The tangs in my guess would multiply very quickly once you let them out. I think being over stocked would be one of your worries in no time as was Craigs problem. I like the idea of something smaller than tank busters. Even something like a South American with schools of angels and discus, tetras and dwarfs, someof the bigger cichlids like hecklii. The thing i dont like abou tank busters is people put a whole bunch of big fish together even if they dont suit each other so they look out of place. Where as with smaller fish people tend to look for more natural partners.

Anyways in the end the choice is yours and im sure youll enjoy it whatever you do. I for one cant wait to see pics.

Adam

All the quotes for the glass were for 20mm hardened glass. I think that the 24mm would be slightly over-kill. Will let you know on my final decision.

Their are two drain holes that have been placed on the bottom of the tank, one on each side. These have been designed to come out of two taps on the side of the house that i will attach a hose to. Recycle the water on my garden. These will be used for water changes, i will obviously put a fine mesh over the drains so fish don't get sucked down.

The filtration will all be placed in the room/closet space in the next room. At the moment I am thinking the same style filtration that I use on my tankbuster set-ups. Large trickle filters. At the moment I am thinking of just placing one large internal pump in the rear corner of the tank that will service the entire filtration system in the other room, not keen on alot of messy pipes, even if they are hidden, simple is best for me. I see enough complicated un-needed aquaculture systems. I also want to utilise plants to some extent.

The only reason i mentioned the 24mm stuff, was thats what i have seen on the BIG sliding glass doors at BP up here it is 3 laminates of 8mm glass, everytime i see it I think" i could so use that for a huge tank" they are 10x3 each must be damm heavy.

When at uni doing aquaculture we had a recirculating system all it had was a 1000l tub on a stand that was full of sand, water came from the tanks up through the sand and into a macrophyte bed about 5m in diametr and 80cm deep full of water cabbage stuff never did water changes in 8 months, all parameters were perfect, we had 10 tubs of 20-100 silverperch, on the system

will you have a big tank in the next room full of plants and lights etc..

I think circulation in a tank that size is going to be very important,

Indeed circulation is the key. I am even thinking a small wave maker of some description not to sure.

With the plants I am thinking of setting up one of my 6x2's with alot of bamboo and other various plants. I have seen bamboo used in many asian tanks, seems to work quite well.

sounds like one awesome tank alex, im sure you will invite me over when its completed tongue.gif the tang setup sounds like the way to go and i rekon the idea of gettgin the colonies and getting them to breed in there sounds like the best idea!

I reckon have a planted pond/swamp/6x2x2 outside so you don't have to light it or make it look purdy. Depends if there's likely to be nasties getting into the system outside at your location though I guess... at least you don't have cane toads there!

Oh, as an alternative to pond membranes like pondtite you can get the two part epoxy used inside concrete water tanks. It's for drinking water so it should be safe for fish, paint suppliers should be able to get a hold of it. Dunno which is better really, I've only used Pondtite & found it doesn't seal wood very well, so the frame around your glass could be an issue with it.

spa heater?

basically black poly pipe on a roof with a pump on a timer to only run during daylight hours? Might need a cutoff thermostat too incase it gets too hot, or just turn it off in summer?

I've seen that tank in the link before. Is it for real!?

Apparently it's real - the Hotel Radisson in Berlin. If you check the hotel's website the tank features in the photo gallery plus a glimpse of some othe monster tank to do with a restaurant or bar:

Hotel Radisson Berlin

There's supposed to be an even bigger one in Berlin at some shopping mall, where an elevator travels up the centre of the cylinder tank. Can't find the link anymore but in one photo I remember you could see a diver inside cleaning.

Anywho, sorry to hijack - back to the primary discussion . . .

Just wondering on the availability on a few fish that have caught my eye so far-

Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpimbwe "black bee"

Cyprichromis leptosoma Livua "jumbo blue orchid"

Benthochromis tricoti - I have seen this fish available a few times. I think the last time I saw this fish it was about $600 for a pair?

Enatiopsus melanogenys - is a must for this tank. I kept quite a large colony of these some years back. My favourite tanganyikan by far. What is their availability like these days?

Excuse my ignorance, it's been a while since I checked out tang prices/availability. It's like i've almost disocvered a whole new sickness.... raisehand.gif

Nigel's website has 3 female tricoti listed at @ $100 each, no idea if they are still there or if he or sooty could get some more.

No idea about the rest sorry

Cheers for that Ash. I'll have to give nigel and sooty the heads up once I start stocking. I do have a few spare tanks, so i may start collecting now. Don't want to hit my pocket too hard when the time comes.

Good luck with it all Alex. I hope it all goes well and keep us updated with pics as you go along! thumb.gif

Nick.

I am going to set up couches and a fridge full of beer when it's all done....

In that case, Andy and Mick (trofius) had better pick me up on the way past.

Oh and thats 3 people going on a road trip anymore coming....

any space left count me in any room in the fridge for some bourbon thumbup.gif

cheers Cal

BTW awesome bloody awesome tank cant wait to see some pics or the first visit whatever comes first thumbup.gifwink2.gif

Archived