Frustrating bn buyer.

hungsta

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
er, that's enough guesses boys and girls.

- p.s. I sold Hilal a bag of undersized BN, but I know the price was right smile.gif (How many survived Hilal?)

2 survived thumbup.gif but ended up getting eatten by a red devil that i got from waz angry.gif (the price was right their aswell) wink2.gif .

i still have the placo i bought from you aswell,that and my sailfin are my favourite fish so they'll be with me to death do as apart LOL.gif

Starts with "C"! Ends with "T"! Eh?

It wasn't me! I don't even own a BN

Hey this thread fits right in with one going on down the page a bit, if I'm really clever, I 'll be able to put in link;

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=19891

Fits right in with the comments I was making.

The bloke was obviously a waste of effort, more fool you laugh.gif for selling so cheap tongue.gifwink2.gif

Craig T

Geezze thats a shame i was extremly amused by this guys stupidity and selfishness. Ohh well there will all ways be another ... always. LOL dont let him put u off what you do.

$40 for 40 BNs! You can't get any better then that!

hehe, I usually give them away as bonuses or to guests and trades people who visit my place. smile.gif

I do the same most of the time mianos thumb.gif

However I have found that alot of the buyers who I give them to, refuse to take them for nothing, and always try to give me an extra $10 or something, so then I have to put more in the bag again dntknw.gif

Like I said, I think advertising things too cheap in a public forum draws alot of the wrong kind of attention.

By wrong kind I mean:

* People who intend to buy them to resell them.

* People who have no intention of buying but ask you to hold fish just because they are cheap (quite possibly they then go on and check if they can make money reselling them before they pick up)

* People who come over for $5 worth of bristlenose at $1 each only to suss out what else you have

As I said, I don't disagree with giving fish (either cheap or free) to people who genuinely want them, but I guess it's hard to know who is genuine, especially via a forum.

I think the saying is "No good deed goes unpunished". smile.gif

The only issue with selling stuff is you can't pick the people who you sell to. That's why personally, except when I find them utter money grabbers, the premium a store charges is probably fair considering some of the people you have to sell to. Sure, some people are so nice you would give them fish for free, others are so hard to deal with you wish they never came into the store.

Everything appears to be said and done here except great response.

A while ago I told my wife that sold 30 BN at 3-5cm for $2 each to a LFS and they put $12.95 on them, I got in trouble from the wife, god knows what would happen if I sold them for $1 each. Of course they are her favourite fish so she may be biased. Thus far I have not had any such difficulties I hope it stays that way.

cheers

rosco

I'll never forget the guy that came to pick up some BN a few years ago and I told him he could choose from the tank, I pointed out the 3 baby sailfins and said they weren't for sale. So anyways he started pointing and I started netting then he pointed the the smallest sailfin and said "that one" I replied with "sailfin - not for sale mate" anyways he went on with this huge song and dance about how I said he could have any fish out of the tank, I tried to explain that he was purchasing $2 BN and these were $30 fish and they were only new and not for sale... he just went on and on, eventually he stormed out not buying anything - total waste of my time... Anyways some months later I learnt that he was going to lots of local breeders when they had advertised cheap fish just to work out what they had, luckily I didn't have anything particularly spesh, but I know he did knock off a couple of places and got some pretty rare fish/catfish!!!

Looking back I was probably a bit young and stupid at the time but it taught me a big lesson! I never have pickup from my place anymore and I rarely advertise, just let people I know might be interested that I have fish available! Works well for me!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

I'll never forget the guy that came to pick up some BN a few years ago and I told him he could choose from the tank, I pointed out the 3 baby sailfins and said they weren't for sale. So anyways he started pointing and I started netting then he pointed the the smallest sailfin and said "that one" I replied with "sailfin - not for sale mate" anyways he went on with this huge song and dance about how I said he could have any fish out of the tank, I tried to explain that he was purchasing $2 BN and these were $30 fish and they were only new and not for sale... he just went on and on, eventually he stormed out not buying anything - total waste of my time... Anyways some months later I learnt that he was going to lots of local breeders when they had advertised cheap fish just to work out what they had, luckily I didn't have anything particularly spesh, but I know he did knock off a couple of places and got some pretty rare fish/catfish!!!

Looking back I was probably a bit young and stupid at the time but it taught me a big lesson! I never have pickup from my place anymore and I rarely advertise, just let people I know might be interested that I have fish available! Works well for me!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

I remeber a post on our forum a while back from a member ( Perth I think) who house was broken into and a lime green pleco stolen...best be careful when u let ppl thru..esp if you have any "rare" fish that u cant report as stolen

That dude is one real tight buM with cob webs in his pockets, 40 bristlenose for $40 is an absolute bargain and to even call you to let you you know that 5 died in his care and ask you for compensation is simply insulting.

Hungsta, next time you do a sale, I would suggest simply meeting at a mutually agreed destination, get them the call you when they are there, get there with a bucket of your fish and let them view it.

If they don't like it, then simply go home.

If they do like it then bag them up...

yup sure am, anyone from around my way would know what I am talking about... it was a fair while ago maybe 2000-2001...

Anyways they eventually did a LFS and that's when the police became very interested and that when we all gave ID's even went to a line up... he and his mates got done for the shop and a few break and enters but a lot of the stuff was impossible to pin on them, no fish were ever recovered.

I think there may have been a post on the old sydney cichlid forums about it, telling people to watch out for the stolen fish!

I have moved house (and fish rooms) 4 times in the last 30 odd years for just that reason.

Some people might feel slighted because I don't invite fish people to my place or sell from here., but I have had break ins to every fish room I have owned here in Australia,,,,and they know what they are looking for.

It's the LFS or w/salers for me. Far less hassel.

Alan

Unfortunately this type of behaviour is quite common, I could write a book on similar situations which have happened to me. One that comes to mind is one guy who bought a considerable number of fish coming back the next day declaring all the fish had died and I should replace them. To cut a long story short it turns out that once home the fish didn't show the same colour they had before purchase so he decided they needed a dose of brandy to put the colour back in their faces. Literally he pulled each fish out of the tank giving them a tea spoon of brandy in their little mouths killing them instantly. So how could it not be my fault? Needless to say I didn't replace the fish. Now no body enters my fish room but me. Any one who complains before purchase doesn't get the fish, experience tells me they will be more trouble that its worth. I'm sure there's some good stories out there and I hope Hungsta feels a little better knowing it happens to everyone.

I have moved house (and fish rooms) 4 times in the last 30 odd years for just that reason.

Some people might feel slighted because I don't invite fish people to my place or sell from here., but I have had break ins to every fish room I have owned here in Australia,,,,and they know what they are looking for.

It's the LFS or w/salers for me.   Far less hassel.

Alan

How do you sell your fish when you sell privately then Alan? I assume you do a "car boot" type sale in a local supermarket?

What do you do about people how arrive half an hour late, or don't turn up at all?

Craig

Archived