Thinning the population

catcher

Hi all,

This post has no technicial merit at all, but more of a "dealing with the heart and not the head" situation.

I was going through some old pictures of my 6x2x2 when it was first set up and looking at all the fish in their juvi stages. I thought to myself don't they look great and look how much room they have, it was like their own personnal lake M. bigsmile.gif

Then I went back out to the display tank and thought Holy Crap it's gone from the wide open spaces to Pitt St, Sydney. shock.gif (a busy crowded street in Sydney for you non-Sydney people). I've just relealised that I may have to thin down the population, but how? I love em all, who gets their swimming orders?

Some of you guys and girls out there must have been in this situation, how did you choose when basically you pretty much know all the fish (as much as you can know a fish) and their personalities. sad.gif

I'm torn, help, do I make them draw straws, you know, the shortest piece of Vail goes first? blink.gif

They are all pretty much full grown display fish now, you forget how much they grow until you look back on how they started.

This post is pretty much just ramblings, but important ramblings don't you think. wink2.gif

cheers

glenn

I went from having a mixed display tank to having several species or locality tanks - though of course if you aren't in a situation to get more tanks, then I guess this isn't helpful. blush.gif

do you really have to thin down the numbers? unless fish are showing signs of stress, are not at 100% health or are getting harassed, i can see no real need to cut down your numbers. just make sure you have enough filtration and you will be fine. i think tanks look awesome when they are busy.

Thanks Guys,

Hi Gav, I don't have to thin it down, everyone is happy and healthy. I think it was just when I looked at the tank when it was started then looked at it now, it took me by surprise. Oh, the Rosti I got from you ages ago and the one I had as a juvi are both the same size now......BIG...... but awesome looking. blush.gif

ps: your comment about sufficient filtration explains why I have changed the method three times in a year or so LOL.gif

cheers

glenn

More tanks Glenn - just as Ash has said - welcome to M.T.S. mate.   

Agreed a couple of people down this way are selling tank setups and if I had the cash they would be in an already crowded fishroom although if I re-organise, geta couple in the house.....

cheers

rosco

Keeping fish in tanks is about keeping happy, healthy, and as natural behavioural traits as we can in an aquarium which is the equivalent size to a drop of water next to the lake the fish have evolved in.

Due to cichlid aggression, one of the most successful ways to limit or eliminate damage done to other fish from this aggression is by adding fish numbers to the tank, so the aggression is spread around with no harm done, which you no doubt will know.

The trick here is to have enough planning (for future growth) and deep enough pockets to provide adequate filtration/water turnover, so the extra waste from these fish numbers does not impact on their health. Coupled with adequate water changes (which is just a time and labour commitment), I don’t see why you need to reduce your numbers.

Not having seen your tank (how about some photos?), provided the fish are healthy and happy, why fix something that isn't broke?

Craig

Hi Craig,

As I said to Gav, all residents are fit and well, the couple of colony's I have in there are always breeding so things must be ok.

It was more the realisation of what the tank looked like when started to now with full size residents.

Pic's tell the tail:

Not long after starting, sorry about pic quality, note the rosti juvie middle right.

user posted image

Now, with Rosti at 30cm ish

user posted image

Tank in the last month

user posted image

cheers

glenn

Thanks for the photos.

If it isn't broke, why fix it.

I preferred the aqua scaping in the later photo.  Having consistency with the rock work looks much better.

Have you put more substate in there as well?

Craig

A little more substrait but the impression of depth comes from the constant digging and pilling up the Mbuna do!

glenn

I agree with the others Glenn...they look happy to me. As long as the water changes and filter are coping then I can't see a problem. I also agree with Craig's comments about the rockwork in the second pic. Nice fossie btw thumb.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Archived