Lost Fish

619 Fish GOD

Hi All

Last night my Female Firemouth and Male Krib where acting strange.The male was gulping at the surface and the female was brightly coloured and VERY defensive.

By the morning both where Dead.Anyone no way?

Thanks

Zackary Drury

1. Description of the symptoms, obvious signs of disease and behaviour of your fish. NONE except heavy Breathing

2. List the fish that are exhibiting the above symptoms/behaviour: genus and species name. Lionheads

3. When and how did the symptons/behaviour start?Thursday Night

4. How old are the affected/sick fish? Unknown

5. Have any new fish been added to the tank? NO

6. Has anything 'special' happened recently? Water Change

7. What are the water parameters? (where relevant)

- pH =6.4

- kH =

- f =

- Temp =

- O2 content =

- CO2 additions =

- NH3 =

- NO2 =

- NO3 =

- Metals (copper, iron, lead) =

8. Describe the aquarium and its contents- Community tank with dwarf cichlids (Slight overstocked)

9. When was the water last changed and how much was changed?On the day

10. When was the filter last cleaned? 1 1/2 months ago

11. What brand and type of food has been used over the past month?

Flake,prawn and or frozen food

You are using dechlorinator I assume? I'd try another water change & maybe double-dose with prime(if you have it) & get that water perameters checked out ASAP!

Hi Zach,

You haven't given enough information for people to help you. Without know ammonia and nitrite readings you are feeling around in the dark. Go get them tested at an LFS if you don't have your own kits. They are the first things that you need to check.

Andrea smile.gif

Perhaps the fish just became over-punctuated like the title of this thread??????????????????????

I agree with merjo. Test the water and you'll know more.

Sorry I forget nirite which is at 20-40ppm before I did a water change.

My Female Krib and 2 lionheads are now in the Corner breathing heavily

so should I put in another airstone because the only air entering the water at the moment is from the spray bar?

Thanks

I would think it is better to over-punctuate rather than be obnoxious and point out minor 'irritations' that otherwise have no impact on the thread wink.gif

Blake it was a bit of fun blink.gifrolleyes.gif I also added something of value (the part which I was going to add before I decided to have some fun as well).

I'm looking, and looking real hard, yet I cannot find anything relevent to the thread in your post. Please try harder not to be obnoxious and point out minor 'irritations' that otherwise have no impact on the thread wink2.gif

Now back to the real topic at hand please.

My Female Krib and 2 lionheads are now in the Corner breathing heavily

so should I put in another airstone because the only air entering the water at the moment is from the spray bar?

Thanks

Nitrate's not good, but my understanding is it is not as toxic as something like ammonia. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong?

Have you had the water tested properly yet 619?

Also, what did you dechlorinate your water with when you did the water change?

Well 619, now you know what's killing your fish.

Seems like your tank is going through cycling.

If at all possible, I would move the fish into another established tank.

Hi -

619 you may have disturbed your biofilter (or as Ed says the tank is incompletely cycled!). Nitrite should be 0 (*or do you mean nitrAte?*)

I agree with Merj & others - get an ammonia & nitrIte kit (if you dont already have them and let us know the results asap).

The tanks been set up for a 1 year smile.gif

I have found out that the reason I've lost Fish is because of a rotten piece

of prawn left in a pot shock.gif

I'am about to go down and do a 50% percent change next smile.gif

Thanks all I'll keep you updated smile.gif

NO3 isn't that toxic at ~40ppm, however you have no idea what the NO2 or NH3/4 is!!

Definately do the waterchange but make sure you're dechlorinator is good - and get a water sample to an Aquarium shop ASAP for testing!!

Yeah I do know what no2 and ammoaioa (Bad Spelling :B ) Is.

Just lost anoter krib (Female) cryblow.gif

If you know what they are, why didn't you test for them?

what I meant to say was you do not know their readings - if you do you haven't posted them here

If you have ammonia (good spelling smile.gif www.dictionary.com is my friend wink2.gif ) problems then maybe chuck some Zeolite into your filter. If you like I can bring a small amount tonight to the meeting to get you started, I have some at home. But you will need to PM me or respond to the this by 4:30pm.

also what do you have in your filter as media. If you are using carbon when was it last replaced? If it more than 6 weeks old it might be leeching toxins back into to the water, I have made this mistake once before.

cheers

rosco

Archived