NEW FISH AND TANK SHOTS

CThompson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Craig, now I understand what you've done & it's similar to what I'm doing. I'm teeing off from the sump pump & into a 20"high, 6" PVC tube (sealed at both ends). Mine will be the coil type, ie, the water will travel down 3/8" tube coiled around the inside of the 6" pipe & empty out at the bottom. Up the guts of the pipe will be rainguard with bioballs taking up the centre void. My tank will have a low bioload (2 large Oscars) so, although my flow will be slower than yours, it should be sufficient. Obviously, the exit point for the water will also be at the top.

When I saw your design, I thought about using the Seachem item, but the web page does indicate that it can become saturated. As my denitrator will be permanently sealed at both ends, I'll stick with the rainguard/bioballs. It should do the same trick. Alot of this dentrator stuff is experimental anyhow.

Good idea on use of the biomat. I bought some of this stuff 12 months ago & it has since become superfluous. I've been looking for a good use for it & can't think of a better one than what you've used it for.

I do have another couple of questions. Are your bioballs submerged? That looks like a water level line in the first post. I don't think it is or the horizontal section of the sump would overflow (if I understand your set up correctly).

What is the bio-matrix in the horizontal section of the sump? Why is it there? Is it to remove more oxygen prior to the water entering the denitrator?

Best regards,

Troy.

Troy - a lot of the vendors web sites state it gets saturated, however Seachem's own page states that it works via anerobic bacteria within the structure of the medium.

here's the link + a snapback to my post...

However, here is Seachem's own FAQ on it --> click me

• 3 months later...

Did you have any success thinking out the brichardi numbers? I remember mentioning my friend's 8x2 had the same problem, didn't I? Well it was solved when the silicone joint failed & his parent's lounge room got flooded! We only netted all the ones we could get so a lot were lost in the substrate, still probably had over 100 saved though

in for more pics too please

the best tang predators i have experienced are L.elongatus, this guy inhaled a 5cm cylindricus!! half chewed his head of and spat him out, he also cleaned up anything smaller than 3cm. The big mouth ful of teeth was still small aswel at 13cm.

but maybe something similar but smaller like attenuatus, would be good for hunting around the rocks

buescheri are not scared of much either they will take a hit if it means food.

I've got fifteen petricola in there already. Haven't noticed them make a difference blink.gif Mind you, they did grow incredibly fast thumb.gif

Lepidiolamprologus elongatus and attenuatus sounds like I'd be putting the cat amongst the pigeons. How would I organise them to eat the brichardi young, and leave alone other fish such as nigripinnis?

dntknw.gif

Jamie,

I'd be happy to put some more photos up, but haven't got a digital camera blush.gif . The last shots were taken by me with a friend's camera when he visited, and were taken in five minuets. To take more shots won't be as simple as that as I will be trying to take photos of the fish, which will need more time, and possible the loan of someone’s camera over several days.

Chuck,

You’re welcome to use the ideas, none in the sump are probably original, but if you want further information, I'd be happy to answer any questions if I'm able.

For those interested, the Trickle Draw Filter is working REALLY well. I have four different grades of mechanical medias in there, from efimech (first) to Aquasonic's Polishing Mat (a really fine, finer than white filter wool tough reusable media) in the last draw. From here the water is separated via a diffusion plate built into the bottom and the water is spread evenly over the bioballs contained in the bottom of the Trickle Draw tower.

Every draw is filled completely full to the top, which has helped stop the noise from falling water (10.500 lph approx), causing the water to run through each draw from draw to draw, and not fall from the bottom of one to the top of the next. It is very quiet and I have to stand to listen to hear if it is operating. It gets noisier once the media (white sheet wool in two draws) starts to get dirtier, which is a good reminder to me that I need to clean it.

I cleaned the glass (including portholes), cleaned out three draws (one advantage of the Trickle Draw Filter is I only have to clean the media that need it), and did a water change last Saturday. It took a bit over an hour, and most of that was spent waiting for the tank to empty - even pumped out at over 2000lph, and filled again with the same pump takes time. It takes longer to fill than empty as the pump has to battle against some head, where as taking the water out, the pump has a meter of water above it encouraging the water out. All in all the actual labour was about 30 minutes.

The water is crystal clear, there is NO build of mulm in any visible area of the tank bottom thumbup.gif .

Who was it that said you can’t maintain a deep tank? wink2.gif

I'm currently working on a new tank, to replace the one my K1 colony are currently in. It is not as big as this tank at 6 by 2 by 2.5.

Craig

Craig honestly i dont think you could, elongatus are pretty unbiased when it comes to food, or fingers.

maybe the attenuatus would be ok, mine are still small at 7cm, but they leave the nigripinnis alone, not sure what they will do with their fry when it happens but.

wait and see i guess

• 4 weeks later...

Craig has emailed me some more shots of his tank. Here they are smile.gif

user posted image

This is a full tank shot with the blue LEDs on only

user posted image

Closer up with the LEDs

user posted image

A shot of the over all tank and fish

user posted image

As above but a bit tighter in.

user posted image

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis male, female bottom back,

user posted image

Cyprichromis Sp. Jumbo leptosoma "Kitumba"

user posted image

As above with more Kitumba in shot.

user posted image

The dominate male Kitumba

user posted image

Cyathopharynx foai "Sumbu" at his nest.

user posted image

Synodontis petricola

user posted image

Feeding time - got to love those petricola!

user posted image

Neolamprologus calvus

hey Craig

Looking good!

how high have you got the rocks piled? any special precautions taken?

worked out how to remove fry yet?

Ohh and if you ever catch any kitumba fry from the tank keep me in mind please.

have you found any fry in the filter overflow yet, or ist it screened off to prevent this..

Again sensational job, i guess pics will never do that tank justice, would be great to see in person one day, if i ever get that far south..

Mick

how high have you got the rocks piled? any special precautions taken?

Stacked them with a propensity to fall backwards, that is, their own weight holds them in place as they are leaning backwards towards and in some cases on the back glass (19mm thick). With their weight (bassalt) they are not going anywhere.

Ohh and if you ever catch any kitumba fry from the tank keep me in mind please.

No worries.

have you found any fry in the filter overflow yet, or ist it screened off to prevent this..

It is screened, both at the overflow with "predator mesh" and the inlet to the Durso (with Aquasonic's cylindrical mesh).

Again sensational job, i guess pics will never do that tank justice, would be great to see in person one day, if i ever get that far south..

I'm told it looks much better in person thumb.gif Thanks for your comments. I've nearly finished a 6 by 2 by 2.5 and while not as big as this tank, nor have as many one-offs (such as port holes and the trickle draw filter) it will look just as good.

Craig

Archived