White Calvus

Cuong

I recently got 5 of these juveniles as my 18th birthday present from my girlfriend thumbup.gif Sorry, the pictures aren't too great as I'm not much of a photographer and the camera died (I was takings photos of my dogs beforehand), but I'll try to get some better ones soon.

user posted image

user posted image

They're currently eating bloodworms, beefheart, brineshrimp and flake. This is the only time they'll come to the front and usually spend their time in and out of shells and hiding from me.

Very nice Schmuck!

I agree, especially beef heart, although.....i don't think beef heart should be fed to any fish. Cute lil gals n guys when there small, the whites are probably my favorite alto.

Anthony

Thanks for the comments. On the matter of beefheart and bloodworms, none of my black calvus or gold comps have gotten bloat and whatnot before. However does anyone have any links or reading material about it? I'm open-minded to suggestions but I would like to read some material before changing their diet.

Sorry, just wondering why people are concerned about feeding proteins to predatory fishes?

I understand the concern over the type of protein in beefheart... But I also still remember when beefheart was considered the only staple to feed discus if you wanted them spawning blush.gif

That is true Ducky but they have since discovered that feeding beef heart can have a bad effect on the fisheries liver. So most of the experts stongly advise against feeding warm blooded animal matter to fish.

2 seperate sentences in that paragraph Nigel.

I understand the concern over the type of protein in beefheart...

But I also still remember when beefheart was considered the only staple to feed discus if you wanted them spawning blush.gif

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the discus thing, didn't mean to confuse anyone, I was just having flashbacks smile.gif

I would not feed them bloodworms or beefheart - just my own practice.

I had 4 of those fish in a small tank and they all ended up jumping out. 2 jumped through a triangular gap at the corner of the tank with a side of only about 1.5cm. Just be careful with them at least until they have settled in - nothing more disappinting than finding a new fish next to the tank rather than in it.

Foai

Nigel/Others -

I've not sure we need the opinions of "overseas experts" on this do we?

Altolamps are predatory - so they can probably cope with the beefheart. In saying that, beefheart is (I believe) relatively high in saturated fats. If you are preparing it yourself make sure you clean it well and remove as much fat as you can. Beefheart would be mainly protein - which means a heavier nitrogen load on your filters (so go reasonably easy on it). It's certainly inappropriate for most herbivorous africans... but I doubt a small amount is of much concern for predatory species.

I personally wouldnt feed beefheart to my lamprologines (it's not often Lamprologines in the wild would eat beefheart, but I guess they probably dont eat marine prawns and various other things which are "ok" to feed) - but I doubt it does them any harm in small quanitities.

I do prepare it myself and it's a mixture of prawns, tuna, spirulina, womens vitamins, spinach and beefheart. The fat is cut off of course, as are visible tendons and whatnot.

Well I for one would not buy fish from anyone that feed there fish beef heart

I suppose you're not going to buy any discus then blush.gif

I am just a bit sceptical about blood worms, while they are high in protein are they good for anything else? IMO i don't think they are. Not saying people shouldn't feed them bloodworms at all but only as a source of protein not as a staple. I am also sceptical about some brands of blood worms, i found that when i had discus the fish were more susceptible to getting worms from one or 2 particular brands. I had no problems with the Hikari brand which i believe is the best option for blood worms all be it the most expensive.

Anthony

Archived