Construction Photos of my New Tank.

CThompson

Which one do you trust now Baz

laugh.gif I think you mis-understood me Craig, I trust your system and the masses of testing and research you have done thumb.gif

It's not a traditional 'overflow box' which I agree I have never trusted.

I was trying to explain that your setup was different rolleyes.gif

Yep, I did miss-understand you Baz, have re-read your comment, and see my mistake. thumb.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fanatasic result Craig I too saw it befor the front cabinet was completed now it looks great it is a credit to you. all you need now is some kid sized scuba gear so you can get your young ones to go diving to catch your fry. LOL.gif

Seriously though great to see it has worked out for the best now thumb.gif

cheers

Rosco

Hi Craig,

That will look amazing once filled with the finned ones thumb.gif

Waz's wall of fish was amazing to see  smile.gif so can imagine that this will be the same.

Cheers

Aline

Thanks for your comments Aline. What you can see in the shots is little to what is hidden behind the cabinet doors. The tank is over a meter high, and is one tank not two as is Warren's.

This tank also has a pretty effective one-off filtration system, with several different types of bio media, which is backed up via a UPS supplied by Mathew.

There is also a water change tank under there, plumbed to the main tank via a T-junction and taps. I can "power" water change this tank at 2200 lph, then fill it back up via this water change tank, which itself was plumbed to the mains by Warren.

The whole thing is being turned over around five times per hour (not including the two Eheim 1060 and single 1048), and the Oase pump is completely quite .

Craig

I will be interested to see how it works when you have this up and running at full flow rate. So you will have to get a camera from some where for more photos.  smile.gif Even better maybe make a short movie.  woot.gif

I've got the fish tank, if you have the equipment to film it. It has been operating for a couple of months now. bigsmile.gif

,Jul 28th 2005 @ 14:01 ]How do you gravel vac it?

I have fish to do that for me. The foai turn over volumes in their nest making, and once I add the macrops, their constant pickings will turn over more.

As I have used sand, dirt should be restricted in working its way in too deep due to its smaller grain size, and anything that does settle, should be taken back into the water again by these fish.

In addition, my thinking is that as this dirt is "produced" with the amount of water movement I have in there, it will be as likely to get to the filter, before it works its way into the substate.

But if I needed some mechanical effort in this area, I could easily modify what I currently use in my other tanks, and have it on the end of a piece of pipe.

I’m pretty confident that I won’t need to though.

Craig

Lovely tank and finish Craig...I am so very jealous  yes.gif . Being an old yatchy from way back I especially love the port holes wub.gif .

Andrea smile.gif

When I was designing the tank, I considered having the back completely open, and the tank viewed from both sides. I went and saw a similar sized tank (not as high) that was set up to be viewed like this, and what I noticed was that due to the clarity of the water, a tank that was two foot wide, looked like it was ten inches wide.

This is how I came to the compromise of the portholes. It then took some time to find some way to make the holes look like portholes, and I think the oyster light fittings have done really well. At first sight one doesn’t wonder what they are, they look exactly like the real thing.

The portholes themselves have become a major feature of the tank, and are far better than if I had the entire back open as a viewing area.

Glad you liked it.

Craig

I've got the fish tank, if you have the equipment to film it. It has been operating for a couple of months now.

I would be more than happy to mate the only problem is you live to far away. blink.gif I dont go that far on my hoildays. LOL.gif So you may just have to spend some of that huge amount of money you seem to have and buy one Craig. tongue.gif

I've got the fish tank, if you have the equipment to film it. It has been operating for a couple of months now.

I would be more than happy to mate the only problem is you live to far away. blink.gif I dont go that far on my hoildays. LOL.gif So you may just have to spend some of that huge amount of money you seem to have and buy one Craig. tongue.gif

That's "had" not "have" there Nigel

Hey craig that tank is awsome, and a testimony to the time, cash and effort that must have gone into it, again very very nice set up, very cleaverly done.

I was very releived to here that it is a tang community tank, and not just containing a few large whatevers..

With the combination that you suggest, just a few things i was wondering abouts. I have been told that keeping leptos and nigripinnis together is bad news for the nigripinnis, as the kitumbas will way out grow them and are much more aggressive, also i have seen macrops be very nasty to other fish. But every fish can behave different i guess. I also assume that it is display only, if they breed and survive its a bonus i imagine.

Other than that it sounds like it will be a very nice tank. Any ideas about thow it will/is layed out.

have to aggree with your comments on teh foai/macrops turning over the sand, they are super at it, my magara and flavipinnis do a wonderfull job in my 6x2x2, havent vaccumed for over a year now. gotta love sand sifters.

Hey craig that tank is awsome, and a testimony to the time, cash and effort that must have gone into it, again very very nice set up, very cleaverly done.

I was very releived to here that it is a tang community tank, and not just containing a few large whatevers..

With the combination that you suggest, just a few things i was wondering abouts. I have been told that keeping leptos and nigripinnis together is bad news for the nigripinnis, as the kitumbas will way out grow them and are much more aggressive, also i have seen macrops be very nasty to other fish. But every fish can behave different i guess. I also assume that it is display only, if they breed and survive its a bonus i imagine.

Other than that it sounds like it will be a very nice tank. Any ideas about thow it will/is layed out.

have to aggree with your comments on teh foai/macrops turning over the sand, they are super at it, my magara and flavipinnis do a wonderfull job in my 6x2x2, havent vaccumed for over a year now. gotta love sand sifters.

Thanks for the feedback, pointing out problems is appreciated.

I haven't heard about conflict between leptosoma and nigripinnis. If others out there can confirm or deny I would be interested to hear. It is my understanding that leptosoma are open water fish, where as the nigs will inhabit the rocks. I haven't mentioned as yet, but there is approx. 3/4 of a tonne of basalt in the tank, so there are heaps of places to hide if the nigripinnis feels the need. Does this have a bearing on your comments and relieve your concerns?

I have kept and bred macrops for a few years, and I agree they are can be very aggressive, but it mostly directed towards each other, male to male, and male to female (if he doesn’t get what he wants), and female to female (particularly in the absence of a male). Over the years, I have kept them with a number of different species, and sitting here typing this I can't think of any fish other than another macrops that the macrops have been hard on. I also think that the size of the tank needs to be taken into account, baring in mind there is around 2000 litres, and stacks of rocks, any issues I would think be resolved by fleeing and or hiding (?).

I was concerned about mixing macrops with foai, and when I questioned (on ACE?) from memory, I was told that the macrops would dominate the lower portions of the tank (near the sand) where as the foai, apart from their nest building, will be above this. Others are welcome to give feedback to this also as the macrops are not introduced as yet, I can still change my mind about adding them. I am concerned about the fact they are both nest builders.

I know what you mean about being relieved with seeing a large tank that wasn't going to be stocked with large fish. What I have always wanted is a Tanganyikan community, I don’t want a huge volume of fish, and I believe one doesn’t need it to have a great display. Possibly the uneducated may see a tank brimming with fish as more appealing, but I think that as Tangs seem to be more an acquired taste, with that acquisition comes also the knowledge that you don't have to pack the fish in to have a great tank.

Craig

Hey craig

I was told not to put the nigripinnis in with leptos by Aaron,he is a lad just south of the QLD border who i am getting some nigrippinis from. but i think it may be ok, although you may not see then very much,as they like it dark. but contry to oppinion my lepto swim through the rocks dntknw.gif

The macrops i saw beating on a fish was in a 3x2x2 and he was attacking the big male melanogeny he ended up killing it, not directly but through stress and a secondary fungal infection, but then again two aggro fish in the same zone.! figures,

i would probably stick to your plans it sound as if you have heaps of hiddy holes for all, and a few pics when you can get em would be great.

I am actually thinking od rearranging my display tank to a similar combination to you, i already have the 32 tropheus, 3 ventralis, 9 kitumbas and 4 X. spilopterous in the 8 footer but was going to go 8 foi magara, 4 spilopterous 12 lepto malasa, 4 leleupi 2 sexfasciatus,( or trets) a few regani, some cuckoo males and maybe even my Psycho occices. and the rouge tropheus bemba i have. Thats what is good about tangs soo many different areas that can be occupied, and it makes a display interesting because there are different environments that can be built, so you actually have to walk up and down a big tank and look in all the holes to se EVERYTHING, that is in there. noyt just sit back 4 m away and go hey thats a big fish!

AGin with the nice job!

whats going in it craig

Not sure about whats going in it But there is a stunned Mullet on a pink towel

in front of the tank woot.gif

Anyway tank looks good

Cheers

Craig P

Adjust your monitor Craig. It is orange not pink, and it’s an old bed spread not a towel. Otherwise I agree about the mullet comment. cryblow.gif

Hey craig

I was told not to put the nigripinnis in with leptos by Aaron,he is a lad just south of the QLD border who i am getting some nigrippinis from. but i think it may be ok, although you may not see then very much,as  they like it dark. but contry to oppinion my lepto swim through the rocks dntknw.gif

The macrops i saw beating on a fish was in a 3x2x2 and he was attacking the big male melanogeny he ended up killing it, not directly but through stress and a secondary fungal infection, but then again two aggro fish in the same zone.! figures,

i would probably stick to your plans it sound as if you have heaps of hiddy holes for all, and a few pics when you can get em would be great.

I am actually thinking od rearranging my display tank to a similar combination to you, i already have the 32 tropheus, 3 ventralis, 9 kitumbas and 4 X. spilopterous in the 8 footer but was going to go 8 foi magara, 4 spilopterous 12 lepto malasa, 4 leleupi 2 sexfasciatus,( or trets) a few regani, some cuckoo males and maybe even my Psycho occices. and the rouge tropheus bemba i have. Thats what is good about tangs soo many different areas that can be occupied, and it makes a display interesting because there are different environments that can be built, so you actually have to walk up and down a big tank and look in all the holes to se EVERYTHING, that is in there. noyt just sit back 4 m away and go hey thats a big fish!

AGin with the nice job!

It has taken me a number of years to come to the conclusion, but I have learned the hard way a few times in regards to mixing shell dwellers and sand sifters. I have on more than one occasion shaken out an otherwise empty shell to have the body, in some cases just bones, from a macrops fall out.

I have concluded from my macrops, and I would extrapolate this to other sand sifters such as Xenotilapia spilopterus just to be on the side of caution, that sand sifters and shells don’t mix.

How do the 32 Tropheus and the 3 ventralis get on? I have read that the Tropheus would be too active, and probably clip the fins of fish such as ventralis?

8 foi magara, 4 spilopterous 12 lepto malasa, 4 leleupi 2 sexfasciatus,( or trets) a few regani, some cuckoo males and maybe even my Psycho occices. and the rouge tropheus bemba i have.

That’s quite a mix, and I would be concerned about their different (in particular the Tropheus) feeding requirements. Unless you will be using NLS?

so you actually have to walk up and down a big tank and look in all the holes to se EVERYTHING, that is in there

That’s exactly what I do now also.

Craig

Craig,

Yep it will be a mix but not too different from what is together at the moment, i have the tropheus bemba, my cuckoos, 2 pulchers, a beuscheri, 2 leleupi, in a 4 footer no dramas at the moment, the bembas was in with teh magara but was beating them up a bit. i did feeed the magar frozen brine shrimp the bemba would spit it out and just eat the flake (he knows whats good for him!)

All my fish are fed sera flora fake and all do pretty good on it, its sopposed to be a vegy flake bu there is more fish meal than spirilina anyways ! dntknw.gif I also feed the foai, and some of the others thr frozen brineshrimp, maybe every 3rd day. I also have grow lights on the tropheus tanks to get the algae going so they can snack all day.

As for the combos, tropheus are block heads! they just swim right through any fish in their way and dont worry about them, the 8 footer is their tank but, and the other fish are pretty much just in there for contrast ( 32 bright red fish look cool, but ....) the kitumbas as you know are not really suited to the tank, because it is a tad busy, but they do ok, they are trying to breed, but wont hold. the spiliopterous do breed and are due for another mouthfull soon hopefully. the ventralis are a tad small yet to be getting busy! but yes one of the males did loose his egg spots from him pelvics, just after i added him. grown back now. the other dominat male swimms abouts all coloured up most of the day, but they can get down amongst some of the bigger rocks out of all the trafic if they want.

ED. thanks for the pionters with shellies and sandsifters, although 10+cm spilopterous wont fit in the occies little shells, that damm occy but burries everything even his last two fems!, and any fry i get.

Wow.... clap.gifthumb.gif i must say this is the BEST TANK i have seen on the web. The beauty is more than its size but you have integrated it into your home (hope you are not planning to move in a long while). Did you renovate your house to allow this? So the tank itself is in the room behind where you have put gyprock with portholes..is this right? So you plan on no gravel cleans then? Thats an achievement in itself.

If you didnt live so far away i would gladly come with my digicam and shoot heaps of pics. It's gonna look awesome with fish.

Archived