Construction Photos of my New Tank.

CThompson

Wow.... clap.gif  thumb.gif i must say this is the BEST TANK i have seen on the web. The beauty is more than its size but you have integrated it into your home (hope you are not planning to move in a long while). Did you renovate your house to allow this? So the tank itself is in the room behind where you have put gyprock with portholes..is this right? So you plan on no gravel cleans then? Thats an achievement in itself.

If you didnt live so far away i would gladly come with my digicam and shoot heaps of pics. It's gonna look awesome with fish.

Thanks for the compliment - and you haven't even seen inside it yet!

Only small renovations to the house itself were required. Aside from the ones shown in the photos of the partial removal of the wall, I also had to put some extra beams in the roof to support the lighting which hangs from stainless steal wire ropes.

I had my light fitting built with two banks of four by four foot fluros (on two separate plugs), 8 LEDs fitted with blue lights, and three 75 watt metal halides. They are all on digital timers, with the blue light coming on first and going off last staying on for about 30 minutes each time. While the blue LED are on in the morning, the metal halides come on, and due to their characteristic of coming on slowly, they are the perfect "dawn" lights, taking a couple of minutes to reach full capacity. Once they are fully on, the 8 LED go off, and four of the four foot fluros come on, and replace the metal halides (cheaper to run) which go off shortly after. I have the metal halides on for two hours at night when I'm home to see the wonderful light dappling they produce.

The whole fixture is in one piece and weighed a tonne, was about 8 foot long, and about 1.5 foot wide, and to install it above the tank, I had to put extra beams in the ceiling (to match up with the haging points on the lights) so I could connect some bolts right through the beams with nuts on the other side to prevent them from pulling through.

As mentioned, I also had water put on to the water change tank located under the big tank which comes in via the ceiling.

So the tank itself is in the room behind where you have put gyprock with portholes..is this right?

Yes that is correct, the main panel of the fish tank faces onto my lounge room.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived